Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router setup problem

SteffenDK
Aspirant

Orbi router setup problem

Hello Community.

Hope I post this the correct place. We have an Orbi RBR50 with 2 setelites on it. Everthing is connected via WiFi in out entire house. 

The signal from our ISP is a fiber with just a very litte small box with just 1 ethernet connection. 

If we connect our RBR50 main router to the this plug we would then loose all signal in the basement and that is where our hometheatre is. 

So to deal with that we have put a Netgear R7000 in between and disable all WiFi on the R7000. This way we have WiFi on the Orbi system and wired connection in the basement through the R7000. 

So we do have internet connection everywhere but it fails sometime and we have to restart our RBR50 to get it to run again. 

So this made me think if the R7000 should be set up in bridge mode to avoid NAT conflicts? I can set it into bridge mode myselv, but is this the right way to do it and would it solve our problems? And would we by setting the R7000 in bridge mode loose our internetconnection in the basement?

Hope someone can help with all these questions. 

Thanks in advance.

Steffen.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi router setup problem

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

IF your using the R7000 as your main router, then set the RBR50 to AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I am confused about "what is where?"

Fiber box from ISP is ??

Orbi RBR50 router is ??

Orbi RBS50#1 is ??

Orbi RBS50#2 is ??

Entertainment Center is in the basement.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think the location or placement is the problem, is that the operation mode is in question here. Hopefully AP mode will solve this...

Message 4 of 5
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

You should not need the R7000.  Connect an ethernet patch cable from the ISP fiber box to the yellow WAN input of the RBR50, and the LAN ethernet cable that goes to your basement entertainment center to one of the 3 white LAN ports on the RBR50.  The RBR50 provides 3 wired LAN ports for wired network connections, so the R7000 just complicates your setup without any benefit.

@SteffenDK wrote:

Hello Community.

Hope I post this the correct place. We have an Orbi RBR50 with 2 setelites on it. Everthing is connected via WiFi in out entire house. 

The signal from our ISP is a fiber with just a very litte small box with just 1 ethernet connection. 

If we connect our RBR50 main router to the this plug we would then loose all signal in the basement and that is where our hometheatre is. 

So to deal with that we have put a Netgear R7000 in between and disable all WiFi on the R7000. This way we have WiFi on the Orbi system and wired connection in the basement through the R7000. 

So we do have internet connection everywhere but it fails sometime and we have to restart our RBR50 to get it to run again. 

So this made me think if the R7000 should be set up in bridge mode to avoid NAT conflicts? I can set it into bridge mode myselv, but is this the right way to do it and would it solve our problems? And would we by setting the R7000 in bridge mode loose our internetconnection in the basement?

Hope someone can help with all these questions. 

Thanks in advance.

Steffen.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7