Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router solid magenta (not the satellite)

BartCH
Tutor

Orbi router solid magenta (not the satellite)

My Orbi router (not the satellite) stays solid magenta after rebooting. When I login to the router, every parameter looks OK. The router is in Access Point mode and has received an IP address from my cable box. The satellite doesn't seem to have any problem (ring light is off). The wifi connection also works fine. What does solid magenta on the router mean? The Netgear FAQ only mentiones solid magenta for the satellite.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 126
BartCH
Tutor

Small addition: I just checked the Advanced settings of the router. In the LAN port sections it says the WAN port is down (0 packets). My orbi router is in Access Point mode however and has received an IP address from my cable box. Also the orbi wifi internet connection works fine, so there is traffic going between the cable box and the orbi WAN port. Recently introduced sofware bug? Until a few days ago the ring light used to go off, as in 'working normally'.

Message 2 of 126
rhester72
Virtuoso

I had the same thing happen once on the previous firmware release (after nearly two weeks of uptime), waiting to see if it will trigger on the latest release.

I couldn't even reach the web UI when it happened, the router was unpingable despite passing WAN traffic (like you, in AP mode) with no issue.  Very odd.

Rodney

Message 3 of 126
r3v1l0
Initiate

I am having the same issues.  I am using it in AP mode.

I tried going back to 1.4.0.18 but made no difference.  System seems to work ok, but annoying magenta ring glowing away!

Your LAN & WAN settings should be greyed out when in AP mode, mine are.

Message 4 of 126
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello r3v1I0

Have you tried on .34 version I have seen some reports of the issue being fixed on the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 126
r3v1l0
Initiate

Hi DarrenM,

Thanks for the response.  I first noticed it after the .34 upgrade, which is why I went back to .18...  I am back on .34 now...

UPDATE:  I moved the ethernet cable from my Asus router to the Orbi router (in AP mode) from LAN1 to WAN and I no longer have the magenta led ring...

Message 6 of 126
noonway
Guide

I changed out the flat network cable that came with the orbi for a spare cable I had and that fixed it for me.
Message 7 of 126
bbroygbiv
Initiate

I have the same problem. Also in AP mode and also with .34

I tried the solution of moving the LAN cable to the WAN connection, and it indeed extinguished the light. But it also killed the throughput.

Message 8 of 126
wzhaoca
Initiate

Hi All, 

Just got my Orbi set up yesterday. All seemed ok, all lights were off and router reports 2 satellites connected. Today I noticed the router light is solid magenta. I tried re-syncing the satellites and the router light is still magenta. Wifi speed seems to be good so the satelites seem to be working. I'm on .34 firmware and I'm in AP mode. My router lan cable to my actual router is through the WAN port. Anyone else still having this issue ? 

Message 9 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Betreff: Orbi router solid magenta (not the satellite)

After two days of great working I´m facing the same issue.

It appears at router and AP mode, I´m in AP Mode. Orbi did a firmware update to the latest possible version when I bought it 3 days ago at 25 Jan 2017.

I have to use Orbi at a LAN port of an AVM Fritzbox which uses its WAN port to connect to the ISP.

Message 10 of 126
BartCH
Tutor

When I installed my Orbis it also did a firmware update, so I was assuming they were on the latest version. Turned out they weren't. After I upgraded manually to .34 the problem went away for me. So you may want to check the actual firmware version just to be sure.

It also seems that Orbi doesn't do automatic updates - which I was hoping they would with all the router hacks going on these days. If that's true, that would be a bit disappointing. I know that other mesh-network routers do for exactly this purpose.

Message 11 of 126
noonway
Guide

Be careful... Apparently, this is an extended uptime issue with the RBR50.  Went Magenta again on me out of nowhere after several weeks of uptime on V1.4.0.34

Message 12 of 126
aruit
Guide

I was only looking at the Satellite, because that was my problem, and the light of the Satellite did not burn Magenta for several week.

But your report triggered me to look at the Router and I found the light of the Router burning Magenta.

In Netgear Genie I could not find the IP address of the Router, but I found the IP Address of the Satellite and I could ping to the Satellite.

With Wifi Analyzer I saw that both the Router and the Satellite where sending wifi signal and by walking from Router to the Satellite it was switching from signal.

The wifi of both are working, but still the Router is burning Magenta.

So the firmware update solved the Satellite to burning solid Magenta, but did not solve the Router to burning solid Magenta.

Message 13 of 126
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Betreff: Orbi router solid magenta (not the satellite)

Hello aruit

I reported this problem still happening just on the router now check to see if this has been resolved in upcoming FW updates.

DarrenM

Message 14 of 126

I have installed and configured RBR50 with Satellite RBS50 and firmware 1.4.0.34. It worked fine for a few days, but now the LED ring of the router is solid magenta. I'm using AP-Mode and RBR50 is connected to my FritzBox using the LAN Port. WIFI and Internet connection is OK. 

Is this a known problem?

Regards,

Ralf

Message 15 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Obviously it is a common problem. I have the same configuration with fritzbox and the same issue.

I have reported the issue to netgear Germany and they have a superb support team.

We are working on this problem for one week but there´s no solution yet.

Firmware downgrade, connecting to LAN, resetting etc. nothing works.

The suppport has reported the problem to the Ingenieurs and they will work on a solution.

For the moment I am happy with the super wlan. In fact, the only downside with this problem is, that the router cannot be reached via the gui or app. As long orbi does its job so great, I´m happy so far. 

Message 16 of 126

Hi Harry,

thanks for the info - good to know that engineering is working on a fix. Can you please explain what you mean with "router can not be reached by GUI"? I can access the Router Web page without any problems, even with the described problem.

Regards,

Ralf

Message 17 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Oh, I have no access to the router. Not via web interface or app.

Can you ping the router?

I can´t. Won´t answer.

Satelite is fine. Doesn´t show magenta tho.

Message 18 of 126

Hi,

In my case I have access to the router via WEB and I can ping the router.

Just another info .. my router is working in AP-Mode and I have assigned a fix

IP address - so no DHCP from the Fritz-Box. Maybe thsi will change the situation.

My satellite is also fine - no lights on.

Reards,

Ralf

Message 19 of 126
Jayson007
Initiate

Exact same issue on  V1.9.1.12.

Connection still up though but obviously an issue in AP mode that Netgeear needs to fix

Message 20 of 126
dthurnheer
Aspirant

i had the same problem. I could solve it by using a fix IP - adress in AP - mode and very important to use a DNS server adress like:

8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server) 

Orbi.jpeg

Message 21 of 126
ClintoKL
Apprentice

Hi, Im in Malaysia and installed the Orbi(s) this afternoon and now I have the Magenta Ring on the Router (running in AP mode) and I also cant login to it via orbilogin.net

Im running firmware V1.10.1.2 so its also a problem in this latest firmware also.

Have to say that overall Im pretty disappointed with this product. Im coming across from Asus RT AC68U which was such a brilliant product. Im still using it for the Router as Orbi is in AP mode. Its been out for what 6 months now and it still has so many probelms. 

Message 22 of 126
Kris_Chen
Tutor

I have the same issue as what forum is discussing with. My Router is turned solid  magenta but 2 of my satellites are ok(i.e. light was tunred off after blue color)

I just updated firmware to V1.10.1.2. Operation mode is AP.

All coummication between router and satellites even mobile devices are ok. Just color is not right.

How to fix it ?

Message 23 of 126
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Kris_Chen

Have you tried to resync those units? might just need a power reset.

DarrenM

Message 24 of 126
ClintoKL
Apprentice

I rebooted just the router and havent had the magenta light come back on the router as yet. I didnt re-synch the satellite.

Darren, is there a way to stop automatic updates of the firmware? I have everything running ok. It was a delicate balancing act but Im happy on my system to stop right where I am.

Amazon Alexa is not dropping off. My LIFX bulbs are effectively staying on the system, I have had a bulb drop off but no worse than my old router. I have full 100Mb internet to the three areas I want them at (Home Office, Home Theatre Room and Living Room). 

Like i say, its a delicate balancing act but its working. I dont want to stuff up things with firmware updates that might work for someone elses set up but not mine.

Message 25 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7