Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router solid magenta (not the satellite)

st_shaw
Master

@JesCR  The router will turn magenta when it senses loss of the Internet connection.  4G connections, being cellular/wireless, have a tendency to lose connection bfiefly on occasion, so it might just be that you had an Internet outage.

Message 76 of 126
JesCR
Guide

hopefully! i will check when i return home 🙂

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 77 of 126
JesCR
Guide

When i returned home yesterday the magenta light was on, i tried the "recheck ap mode" trick and the light goes off, but come back after an hour or so...

I could access the web ui and all my devices an services were connected to internet without problems...

Next i upgrade the router and the satellite to the new 2.0.0.72 firmware and so far so good. No magenta light and the "connected devices" list shows a really good (and new) information...

Will keep posting if something changes...

Message 78 of 126
jacher
Star

After a couple of weeks of no Magenta light on the router (operating in AP mode) and with two satellites now in play, I thought to myself (morbid curiosity), why not reboot the router and see if the magenta light problem comes back. After I did a software reboot (using the management page of the router (still accessible on the static IP (and dhcp reserved IP))), no magenta light. Great!. But in the morning, the magenta light was on. I did a hard power off (pulled the plug) and waited a few seconds and plugged it back in. No magenta light. But hours later, the magenta light was back on. The magenta light remains on but I see no issue with connectivity, management of the device, wireless devices or satellite connectivity. All is good -- EXCEPT in the firmware update (under Advanced), the router shows "No internet" and thus can't determine if there is a firmware update. The satellites both show "No new firmware version available." So this "No internet" is the only clue that there might be a problem and the only ill effect of the magenta light (other than what is supposed to be invisible being purple).

I would guess that the router periodically tries to contact some server on the internet (as a test of internet connectivity) and if it fails, it turns on the status light to purple. And it never tries again to see if the server is reachable. So it remains purple.

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterRBR50RBR50V1.12.0.18No Internet
SatelliteRBS50RBS50_2V1.12.0.18No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50RBS50_1V1.12.0.18No new firmware version available.
Message 79 of 126

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem/behavior with one satellite in place. I have not rebooted the MESH infrastructure now for more than 2 month and I have no magenta ligt, but I'm pretty sure that I will get the light back on when I reboot the rooter or do a firware update. I also have the message "No internet" in the firmware update page and I have very old firmware in place, which is OK for me up to now because I don't have an issue with the MESH 😉 My RBR50 FW is V1.8.0.6 and the RBS50 V1.9.1.12.

From my point of view it's VERY ANNOYING that Netgear DOES NOT seem to make any changes to fix this BUG. We are not talking about a repeater system which costs 50€, we are talking about a high end solution which costs more than 400€. 

I'm very happy with the general spped of the mesh system, but the support of Netgear is unbelievable!!!

I hope someone from Netgear will read there own form entries!

Regards from an angry Netgear Orbi user

Ralf

Message 80 of 126
JesCR
Guide

When i had the magenta light, the only place wher i could see a problem was de "No internet" that you talking about... I'm with the 20. firmware and i rebooted the router three or four times, no more magenta lith yet... Someone with the 2.0 firmware and this problem? maybe this firmware fixed the issue...
Message 81 of 126

Hi,

one question regarding the firmware update to 2.x. 

Have you done this update manually by downloading the files? Because of the "No Internet" I don't see a new firmware on the GUI Firmware Update page.

Can you please also share the location from where you have downloaded the V2.x firmware for RBR50/RBS50?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Ralf

Message 82 of 126
JesCR
Guide

Of course!

I downloaded the firmware from this forum, official post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-0-availability/td-p/1368730

And updated the router and satelite manually

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

The attached devices list now looks better and also shows more info (satellite/router conected).

This firmware also allows a "chain" setup like Ruter<->Satellite<->Satellite and other fixes... (maibe magenta lights?)

I'm working with it for three days now, and so far so good. Ap mode with fixed ip and 12/14 devices attached...

Message 83 of 126

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the infos. I will give it a try and will share my expiriences here in the forum.

Regards,

Ralf

Message 84 of 126

Hi,

I have just updated my RBR50/RBS50 systems to the latest available firmware 2.0.0.72. The good news - everything seems to work fine, I can access the GUI, the spped ist as it was before and in the Firmware Update tab I can check for available firmware also for the RBR50 - no longer the message: No Internet. No good news with bad news 😞 As expected, the RBR50 Router shows the magenta light 😞 😞 

From my point of view this bug is still available, and as I mentioned before Netgear seems to be NOT INTERESTED in fixing the problem.

Regards,

Ralf

Message 85 of 126
JesCR
Guide

Sorry to hear that...

So i can expect to get the magenta light back at any moment... 😞

If i get it back before the "90 days of live support" i will open a ticket...

Message 86 of 126
st_shaw
Master

@ralfboernemeier  There is a newer .74 firmware available on the download site.  I don't know if this will fix your issue, but it's worth a try.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Message 87 of 126

Hi,

Thanks for the hint - I have just done the update to V2.0.0.74 - but still the same problem - magenta ring solid on 😞 GUI and Internet works as I can say until now without problems.

Still an open issue. I will wait a few days and post my findings here.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,

Ralf

Message 88 of 126
jacher
Star

Looks like 2.0.0.74 is being released to the wider public. I did a check for updates on the router, and saw:

A new firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it.

Model Name

Device Name

Current Version

Status

Router

RBR50

RBR50

V1.12.0.18

No Internet

Satellite

RBS50

RBS50_1

V1.12.0.18

V2.0.0.74

Satellite

RBS50

RBS50_2

V1.12.0.18

V2.0.0.74

Release Notes:

[New Feature and Enhancements] Supports daisy-chain topology, which allows Orbi satellites to connect to other satellites or to the router.

[New Feature and Enhancements] Updates the Speedtest API to provide in-progress data.

[New Feature and Enhancements] Updates the Attached Device page in the UI with the following changes:1. Shows device type. 2. Shows connected Orbi and band. 3. Allows connected device and Orbi satellite renaming.

[New Feature and Enhancements] Supports radio transmit power control.

[Bug Fix] Fixes a bug when the main SSID contains a space.

[Bug Fix] Fixes a bug where the genie remote reboot command might trigger a system factory reset.

[Bug Fix] Fixes a bug where genie remote access fails when the Orbi system is in AP mode.

[Bug Fix] Fixes security vulnerabilities.

Lucky for me, I do not see any auto-update occuring. Perhaps the router being solid magenta (and not seeing the internet supposedly) is preventing the auto-update from occuring. 

Perhaps I will follow Butch1326 advice and disable auto-update to be sure as seen in forum post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Message 89 of 126
JesCR
Guide

I see the firmware update message this morning. will update when i get back home after work.

BTW, second week without issues...

Message 90 of 126
adambean
Luminary

Skimmed through this thread as I have been going through similiar issues as well. Orbi is in AP mode and have just experienced a flurry of issues and frustration.

I've been fighting both scenario's of the orbi router or orbi sat's having a magenta light. After using the WAN port on the router and rebooting all the devices (several times), they are all normal. This is after an insanly horrible experience of getting .74 firmware installed.

The problem I'm having in this scenario now (curious if you all are?) is that my satellites are getting an IP from my Asus router, and I can access them, but they keep falling off the attached dervices on the Orbi router and all wireless devices are being sent to the Orbi router.

This systems feel far too flakey to warrant the price tag. 

Message 91 of 126
GDMACK
Star

I have the same problem:  My Router is in AP mode, is working fine (strong WiFi Signal), but the light is solid magenta.  The satellite is solid white.  How do I make the solid magenta light go out?  I have the latest firmware installed.  No problems on the system, but don't think the ring light should be solid magenta.

Message 92 of 126
DESIi1
Star

I too have the solid Magenta on the router with the latest firmware.  It the system has also been very unreliable, so much so I also turned on my Comcast WiFi to act as a backup.

In AP Mode where should the cable box be plugged into - The WAN or LAN ports?

What is Netgear's response to why the Magenta is on solid when that is not mentioned in the literature?

Message 93 of 126

Hi DESli1

If you "cable box" is making the network connection for your home from Comcast then it should be plugged into the WAN port since it supplying the TCP/IP packets from your ISP. However, if you "cable box" is just a client that plays video to your TV, like an Apple TV or Roku, then it should be on the LAN port. 

HTH

Message 94 of 126
GDMACK
Star

After putting it into AP mode I plugged the cable from the modem router into the WAN port, not one of the LAN ports, and the magenta light went out and all has been working just fine.

Message 95 of 126
DESIi1
Star

I'm running in AP mode and had the ethernet plugged into the LAN socket. By moving the plug to the WAN socket the Megenta LED went off and everything seems to me running normally.   No no light is showing. 

Message 96 of 126
asn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue.  Router setup as an AP, and I have the magenta ring on the router.  When I log into the router, it says "Internet ERROR Not Connected" on the status page.  But I can connect to the internet just fine.

I have reset everything a couple of times and I am using the WAN port to connect the Orbi router to my main router.

I called support, and after 90 minutes of troubleshooting, I was told to give it time and see if it goes away by itself.  SERIOUSLY??   $500 for a new system, and that is the type of answer they come back with when they can't fix it.

Message 97 of 126
GDMACK
Star

You can log into the router if you connect it to a PC via an ethernet cable, and you use the IP address to log in.  That worked for me.  Using Orbilogin.com only works if you have internet through the Orbi (no magenta ring).  I finally gave up with AP mode and disabled my Comcast Router, and put the Orbi into permanent Router mode.  Since I did that I have had ZERO problems.  For some reason the Orbi just does not like AP mode.  Ultimately I got rid of my Comcast router completely and just got a straight up Comcast Modem.

Message 98 of 126
asn
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's not an option for me.  I am running software on another router/firewall that is my main router.  I need my wireless to act as an Access Point.  

I have a feeling I will need to return the Orbi and go with a competitive solution.

Message 99 of 126
st_shaw
Master

@asn Orbi works great as an access point.  Double check your wiring.  You MUST connect an Ethernet cable between your third party router' LAN port and the Yellow Internet port on Orbi's "router" when using AP mode.  If you do not, then you will get the magenta light on the Orbi "router." Or maybe you have a bad cable?

Message 100 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7