Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router solid magenta (not the satellite)

GDMACK
Star

Well when I switched from AP mode to router mode using the same cabling I had no problems, so I don't think it was the cabling.

Message 101 of 126
Dalekchap
Guide

After installing latest FW (2.1.1.16) the system has been running solidly - and then the magenta ring showed up.  The wifi was running well, but I could not use the browser (orbilogin) or the app as the unit was effectively offline. The unit is in AP, wired correctly and has two satellites.  

Somehow the unit thinks it is not connected to the internet even though it is.  Someone theorized that it is trying to go to some site on the web and for some reason cannot get to it, so assumes it is offline and turns magenta. 

I am currently experimenting with the one area where the unit WILL go out to the web and get data - the NTP server.  I have changed my server from the default netgear server to: 0.pool.ntp.org - I did this 24 hours ago and so far, no magenta. Will update if anything changes. 

Message 102 of 126
jacher
Star

Since my last post on Sept 28, I saw the Magenta problem just once (on the second satellite). I pushed the sync button (accidentally as I was aiming for the power button) and the light turned off and has been fine since then. But then again, my Orbi (1 router, 2 satellites) has auto-upgraded twice, first to 2.0.0.74 and then to 2.1.1.16. Still no sign of magenta lights on any of the orbi boxes. 

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterRBR50RBR50V2.1.1.16No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50RBS50_1V2.1.1.16No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50RBS50_2V2.1.1.16No new firmware version available.

Message 103 of 126
Planetom
Star

Same here.

Usage as Access Point. CAT 6 cable from yellow Internet port to LAN Port of ConnectBox router from Unitymedia in Germany. Latest (as per Jan 6th 18) firmware V2.1.1.16 on both router and satellite. 

Symptoms

WiFi devices loosing connection, magenta LED ring glowing on router.

Actions

Endless reboots, resetting etc.

=> Netgear support team please stop the guessing thus convince your bosses to invest significant resources in problem solution

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 104 of 126
Dalekchap
Guide

Since I made the change to the NTP server, I have not experienced the solid magenta.  I suggest you try that and see if it works for you.

Message 105 of 126
Pab90
Aspirant

How do you change the NTP server? Thanks in Advance.
Message 106 of 126
jacher
Star

Under Advanced tab, Administration: NTP Settings. I changed mine to my firewall once I got to 2.1.1.16 (which allowed specifying NTP server setting) which also acts as a NTP server. No magenta colours.

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 3.55.38 PM.png

Message 107 of 126
Dalekchap
Guide

The default NTP is the netgear server - you change this to the text: 0.pool.ntp.org - this address will seek the closest and most reliable server every time your orbi reaches out.  Chance of it failing to reach the NTP is, therefore, essentially zero.

The dox talk about how to change the NTP server after login.

Message 108 of 126
vinesh
Guide

Tried the NTP Solution but that doesnt work for me.
Orbi Router in AP mode with nothing plugged into the "internet/yellow" port (to solve the wired Satellite in AP Mode issue).
Does any of the BETA firmware's solve this?

Message 109 of 126
soreneck
Tutor

I just saw the magenta ring on my orbi router - first time! I've just got the orbi 2 weeks ago, on V2.1.2.18.

Everything is working ok tho, I can login to orbilogin.com, internet is up, wifi is ok. The Orbi iOS app is ok too. I then stumble upon this thread, and went back to check on the router and the magenta is gone! 

?????

Message 110 of 126
st_shaw
Master

The router will turn magenta if the connection to the Internet is lost, even momentarily.  This could be due to a problem with your modem, a problem with your ISP, removing the cable from the Orbi Internet port, etc.

Message 111 of 126

"The router will turn magenta if the connection to the Internet is lost, even momentarily."

That's fine.  The problem seems to be that the router fails to turn OFF the magenta LED when the Internet connection returns.

Message 112 of 126
st_shaw
Master

@Michele31415 wrote:

"The router will turn magenta if the connection to the Internet is lost, even momentarily."

That's fine.  The problem seems to be that the router fails to turn OFF the magenta LED when the Internet connection returns.

My post was directed at the last post in the thread, by soreneck, who wrote that the magenta LED had turned off.

Message 113 of 126
RMSko
Aspirant

@st_shaw wrote:

“works great as an access point.  Double check your wiring.  You MUST connect an Ethernet cable between your third party router' LAN port and the Yellow Internet port on Orbi's "router" when using AP mode.  If you do not, then you will get the magenta light on the Orbi "router." Or maybe you have a bad cable?”

If that’s the case then it seems that although the Orbi says it’s in AP mode, it really isn’t and instead is in bridge mode.

Message 114 of 126
st_shaw
Master

@RMSko wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:

“works great as an access point.  Double check your wiring.  You MUST connect an Ethernet cable between your third party router' LAN port and the Yellow Internet port on Orbi's "router" when using AP mode.  If you do not, then you will get the magenta light on the Orbi "router." Or maybe you have a bad cable?”

If that’s the case then it seems that although the Orbi says it’s in AP mode, it really isn’t and instead is in bridge mode.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Orbi doesn't have a "bridge mode."  The only modes for Orbi are Access Point mode and Router mode.

Message 115 of 126
RMSko
Aspirant

That’s sort of what I mean. I don’t think an AP can work through a WAN port - only a bridge can. Am I wrong on this?
Message 116 of 126
st_shaw
Master

When set to AP mode, the Orbi uses the "WAN" port to connect to the LAN.  If you do not connect Orbi this way, then the magenta light will come on and stay on, because Orbi senses that nothing is connected to the designated port.

Message 117 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Have seen other post that the use of the LAN port works better for AP mode. I would suggest trying both to see. Yes, the WAN port will show Magenta LED if it's not connected. I've tired this on mine. LAN port works fine. 

Message 118 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Evidently this problem has been going on for some time.  So,,,WHAT"S THE FIX??

Message 119 of 126
mlwooding
Aspirant

I completely agree, having rebooted my NBN router this morning, Orbi Pro refused to stop Magenta until I powered off and back on - on the bright side, it is an awesome product, just a small frustration

Message 120 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you might want to post over on the Orbi Pro forum about. Contact NG support as well.

Good Luck.

@mlwooding wrote:

I completely agree, having rebooted my NBN router this morning, Orbi Pro refused to stop Magenta until I powered off and back on - on the bright side, it is an awesome product, just a small frustration

Message 121 of 126
Kris_Chen
Tutor

It's never fixed !!

My situtaiton is the same as what all you guys talking about: If you leave WAN port alone and just connect LAN port, the light of solid magent

keep showing there. If WAN&LAN port are connected by cable, it's vanished and become normally.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 122 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the WAN port will show Magenta LED if it's not connected. I've tired this on mine. LAN port works fine. This is something that may not be fixed as it maybe intended by NG. 

@Kris_Chen wrote:

It's never fixed !!

My situtaiton is the same as what all you guys talking about: If you leave WAN port alone and just connect LAN port, the light of solid magent

keep showing there. If WAN&LAN port are connected by cable, it's vanished and become normally.

Message 123 of 126
CHC383
Aspirant

I don't think it is intended because when connecting the WAN port on the router, the satelites can't be detected and backhauled. In addition, the 3rd method in the doc below shown that the router and satelites have to use LAN port if backhauled through another router

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 124 of 126
ngcmos
Aspirant

I just purchased RBK50 for my home Aug 1st 2018, My firmware is V2.1.4.16

A little about me.  I have a rack of servers, and enterprise grade networking equipment in my house, and my ORBI is connected to CISCO layer managed switch, so the threads saying it has to be connected to a "dumb unmanaged" switch are incorrect.  I am 20 year IT pro.  It still took me a few hours to sort this out.

So I got my orbi connectected per instructions and needed immediately wanted to go to AP mode.  When switching the GUI says setting IP addresses manually or "Fixed" is NOT recommended.  This is where things go downhill.

My scenario was that my devices connected to the orbi via wifi COULD get internet.  The solid Magenta ring on the router was because the ORBI router could not talk to the internet.

My issue is that my own routers (not any orbi unit) DHCP server gave my internal DNS server as the primary DNS, and an internet located DNS server as secondary.  For some reason the Orbi could not make DNS lookups through my internal DNS.  I specified googles DNS service (8.8.8.8) as the primary...and voila...Magenta light gone. and the orbi can can talk to the internet itself now.

Detailed Steps to resolve:

Note**:  My ethernet cable is plugged into the the YELLOW internet port on the orbi.

So I went to the Orbi gui and pretended to but the Orbi back in router mode. (Advanced Tab --->Advanced Setup Menu---->Router/AP Mode)  I clicked Router Mode and DID NOT save.  then I clicked back on AP Mode, it gave me the option again to change my IP settings ("Use fixed IP Address (not recommended").  I gave my orbi a static IP and manually set the DNS to internet DNS servers as specified above.  Saved, the Orbi rebooted....and everything is great.

I think Netgear makes things confusing by trying to discourage people from setting a static IP on the ORBI.  Because people may not know how to get back in if the do something wrong.

Message 125 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7