Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router to CenturyLink

aorlikoff
Aspirant

Orbi router to CenturyLink

Double NAT issue.  I want to fix by using centurylink as modem in transparent bridge mode.   However when I change that in the settings I lose the internet.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the MFr and model# of the ISP modem?

Cable or DSL?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. If PPPoE, be sure your PPPoE account information is entered correctly into the Orbi router.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 19
aorlikoff
Aspirant

Thank you.

Century link is DSL.  Modem c2100t

I did confiure in transparent bridge mode and in orbi entered my ppoe username and password.   That's when I lost internet access.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power cycle both modem, router after the change, then also reboot your wired PC and wireless devices?

Also be sure to set the correct MTU value for DSL, maybe 1472 or 1492. Call your ISP and ask them what correct value they use and any bridging information help that maybe needed...

Message 4 of 19
aorlikoff
Aspirant

Thank you.  Devices were rebooted.   Still lose the internet light on the modem.  Unfortunately Centurylink has the worst customer service.   2 chat sessions and a phone call and they were useless.   Referred me to Netgear since their device functions and that's all they support.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

First I would make sure that the modem is getting bridged correctly. Thats the ISP resposibility.

Review these as well:

http://www.mysolutions.it/set-centurylink-router-transparent-bridge/

http://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/technicolor-c1100t.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j-oqwRZ4ss

I would do this, Take the Orbi out of the mix and connect 1 wired PC directly up to the modem while your getting the modem bridged and making sure it's correctly configured. Use your PC with the modem to test internet connection after you get the modem bridged. Use the PPPoE information on the PC as well where needed. If you don't get internet on the PC, then something with the modem bridging isn't working right. If you do get internet thru the PC, then reconnect the Orbi to the modem and the PC to the Orbi router. You'll need to make sure your PC is connecting correctly to the Orbi and not using the PPPoE connection.

Message 6 of 19
st_shaw
Master

I have a C2100T in transparent bridge mode.  In my area we have IPOE not PPPOE.  I have to set VLAN tag 201 for the modem to connect.  Perhaps that is your issue as well.  Review your settings when the modem is working in router mode and see if VLAN tagging is set.

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/technicolor-c2100t/access-advanced...

You can also just leave the C2100T in router mode, turn off the WiFi radios, and set Orbi in AP mode. The 2100T probably has more router features than the Orbi anyway.

I have the C2100T in bridge mode, a Mikrotik router, and Orbi in AP mode. Works great.

Message 7 of 19
Jagdawg
Tutor

I have a c2100t as well. I just configured the Orbi in AP mode and was up and running. So far this system is amazing!
Message 8 of 19
aorlikoff
Aspirant

That is the easiest way, but in AP mode I would lose to many features such as guest network

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the modems DMZ if you can't get the modem bridged. DMZ works for a 2ndary router...then you can use the Orbi routers features...

Message 10 of 19
st_shaw
Master

@aorlikoff wrote:

That is the easiest way, but in AP mode I would lose to many features such as guest network

Guest network is available on Orbi in AP mode.  Also, the C2100T has a more rich router feature set than Orbi does. Things like multiple subnets are supported.

Message 11 of 19
Jagdawg
Tutor

You can setup a guest network in AP mode.  I have one running.

Message 12 of 19
aorlikoff
Aspirant

Thank you.   Odd, this is what it reports:

The following router functions are not available if you choose access point or extender mode:

• Guest network
  • Parental control
  • QoS
  • Access control
  • Traffic meter
  • Block sites
  • Block sites
  • Block services
  • Static route
Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try AP mode then see if Guest Network is still available in the menu....

Message 14 of 19
Jagdawg
Tutor

I swear I set one up.... now you have me wondering.  I will confirm this evening when I get home from work.

Message 15 of 19
st_shaw
Master

@aorlikoff wrote:

Thank you.   Odd, this is what it reports:

The following router functions are not available if you choose access point or extender mode:

• Guest network
  • Parental control
  • QoS
  • Access control
  • Traffic meter
  • Block sites
  • Block sites
  • Block services
  • Static route

Like I said, guest network is available in Access Point mode. At least it is on my Orbi system. I've used it recently. Log into the Orbi web GUI and you will see it under Basic, Guest Network.

What are you looking at?  What exactly is "reporting" this list?

Message 16 of 19
Jagdawg
Tutor

Yes, I have confirmed that I am running a guest network in AP mode.  I erased several details, but you can see that it is running.

orbi setup.JPG

Message 17 of 19
aorlikoff
Aspirant

Thanks for all the replies.   Couldn't solve the double NAT got was able to accomplish what I needed.

Message 18 of 19
st_shaw
Master

Do what I suggested and you will have no double-NAT.

"... just leave the C2100T in router mode, turn off the WiFi radios, and set Orbi in AP mode."

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7