Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router to CenturyLink

Bullmule1
Aspirant

Orbi router to CenturyLink

Hi; I have a CenturyLink C1000Z router/modem and wondered if the Orbi router will connect to it or if the Orbi router would have to replace it? I dont have a seperate router and modem just this single unit. Thanks.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Bullmule1
Aspirant

Re: Orbi router to CenturyLink

Hi; Thank you so much for your reply. I dont believe that i will attempt it and leave well enough alone. i am not that tech savy and i know from past experiences with CenturyLink, i have had them for years, that they are not happy with anyone using anything but their router/modem , and if there are any problems they get ruffled. I just thought that this would be an easy way to extend my wi-fi coverage, but it doesnt appear so. Thank-youi.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

You have two options:

1) Place the CenturyLink modem in transparent bridge mode and use Orbi in Router mode.

2) Use the CenturyLink modem as is (in router mode) and use Orbi in Access Point mode.

Option 2 is probably the simplest and is a good choice.

Message 2 of 5
st_shaw
Master

For reference, the following CenturyLink website contains instructions on bridging the modem. Click on "Advanced", then "Transparent Bridging (RFC1483)"

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-c1000z.html

Note CenturyLink's warning, "Don't use this feature unless you have been referred by a CenturyLink support technician."

This can be difficult to get working unless you know exactly what you are doing, and changing settings could cause your modem to lose Internet connection.

Message 3 of 5
Bullmule1
Aspirant

Hi; Thank you so much for your reply. I dont believe that i will attempt it and leave well enough alone. i am not that tech savy and i know from past experiences with CenturyLink, i have had them for years, that they are not happy with anyone using anything but their router/modem , and if there are any problems they get ruffled. I just thought that this would be an easy way to extend my wi-fi coverage, but it doesnt appear so. Thank-youi.

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

I think you might have misunderstood me. My last post was about bridging your modem.  You don't need to do that.

You should not be afraid to use Orbi in Access Point mode with your CenturyLink modem. I have CenturyLink and I am using my Orbi in Access Point mode and it works great!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7