Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router with 2 satellites and a second Orbi router used in AP mode

Glassdome
Aspirant

Orbi router with 2 satellites and a second Orbi router used in AP mode

Hi there, 

Great forum resource which has massively helped me out with my set up which is as follows: 

1. main set up is RBR40 x1 with 2 satelittes - this is connected to 7 sonos, 12 cctv cameras with Blue Iris and various other wired and wireless kit.  This forum has been awesome in getting the set up right with associated port forwarding etc.  Works well

Though I have a bad deadspot in that I have 2 Ring cameras / intercoms and these are outside, the satellites just are not powerful enough to reach.  Hence my question: 

2. I have a spare RBR40 orbi router, which I have connected by LAN and set up in AP mode for the Ring devices.  At the moment I have left the SSID as the default from the box, but what I would love to do is set this as the same as (1) the main system so that devices can select automatically between the two - ie make it feel like it is just part of the existing set up and as close to an additional, albeit more powerful satellite. 

Questions: 

- can I set the same SSID for both Orbi routers, or is this not recommended / worthwhile? 

- my systems show in the AP as AC3000, whereas on the box they say AC2000 - i guess this is just a firmware update matter, but are there any advantages?  I bought the system 2 days ago in the UK (where I live). 

Any help would be awesome, I have found posts on setting up as an AP, but not using the same SSID and passwords for both routers.  It would have been awesome if I could have simply used the second router as a satellite, but this does not seem possible at this time - unless Netgear release firmware to enable this. 

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 4
tsig
Luminary

Try it and let us know how it goes

Message 2 of 4
Glassdome
Aspirant

I was hoping that someone could advise with some experience in having done this may be on the forum, or with knowledge as to whether it will cause any issues.  Rather than simply suggesting I just try it... I appreciate the response, but as I have a load of devices connected two each and so wanted to see other's experience in this before I make any further changes.  If anyone has any knowlegdge / experience in having made the changes or if it will cause any problems, it would be massively appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Message 3 of 4
budy
Luminary

My guess is, that the 2nd Orbi router, although running in AP mode still would try to control band steering and the other mesh features of your setup. There is actually zero information on this anywhere to have, so this would have to be answered by Netgear.

Frankly, you will likely not get much other advise than, "Try it", as there's only a marginal chance that someone else has bought somehow two routers and tried to set them up exactly as you're asking.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7