Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router with satellite and then add a modem

FURRYe38
Guru

Ya 130 is old. 

Many factors for speed testing. Always speed test wired with a PC. Could be PC HW as well. Site busyness. ISP conditions. 

Message 26 of 38
Old-fart
Tutor

settings for block sites, block services, schedule should be?

Message 27 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Review the User manual. 

Try access controls...

Message 28 of 38
Old-fart
Tutor

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'm dealing with prostate cancer and treatment makes me feel crappy a lot so being on a computer is not what I want most days.
The satellite and main hub are 30 to 40 feet from each other. No walls blocking. Office door is always open and sat. is just around the corner.
When we play amazon music using wifi, it buffers more than our past router. It hardly ever buffered. We've also notice it around the house on other things like our Dish receiver box. It's connected via wifi. Always has been and never a problem until Orbi got hooked up.

So why is Orbi and sat. having issues when our previous router, Asus 1900, never had any issue? And that router was in the office with door open and just around the corner.

What should I look for and/or do? Thanks
Message 29 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Old-fart wrote:

DWA 130. Its old. I need to buy a new one. 

Why do speed test sites give such such differing results? We checked our speed on 3 different sites earlier. One gave us 8.4 download, other gave us 18.7 and last one had us at 119.3. 

That one was XFinity site. 

It can depend on what server you're hitting/using when performing the test, traffic, etc.

Message 30 of 38
Old-fart
Tutor

Is this buffering, slow developed websites, etc the Orbi fault?

That one Asus router out performed this Orbi. Wonder If I should've bought the same router that was stolen and then buy another and create a mesh with them.

Just frustrated. Netgear said it outperforms everyone but not seeing it.

Message 31 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What device are you using to play music? 

Does this happen with other devices as well? 

Do other music streaming sites do same thing? Like YouTube? 

I have my DISH Hopper and Joeys all wired to the router...

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@Old-fart wrote:
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'm dealing with prostate cancer and treatment makes me feel crappy a lot so being on a computer is not what I want most days.
The satellite and main hub are 30 to 40 feet from each other. No walls blocking. Office door is always open and sat. is just around the corner.
When we play amazon music using wifi, it buffers more than our past router. It hardly ever buffered. We've also notice it around the house on other things like our Dish receiver box. It's connected via wifi. Always has been and never a problem until Orbi got hooked up.

So why is Orbi and sat. having issues when our previous router, Asus 1900, never had any issue? And that router was in the office with door open and just around the corner.

What should I look for and/or do? Thanks

Message 32 of 38
Old-fart
Tutor

We are using wifi on our tablets or phones for music. We don't have any other devices and don't use youtube. It's set on auto and channel being used is 3. We have others (3) in neighborhood. They use channels 1,6 or 11.

Netgear told me I should buy one more sat. for our home. Indicated we have dead spots the other 2 can't get to. Guess he forgot when I told him our home is single level and small. 3 sats in our home makes no sense at all.

Message 33 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets set channel 1 or 11 on 2.4Ghz anyways and see if anything changes. 

Also set WPA2 and AES only. 

How big is your home? Sq Ft? Mines 5000sq ft and only use 1 base and 1 satellite, opposite ends of the house, router upstairs and satellites down stairs, 40 feet in between get great coverage and performance. 

What FW is currently loaded on the Orbi system? 

If v210, please ensure you put a checkmark in Daisy Chain. 

Try another site like youtube to play anything and see if the same thing happens...

@Old-fart wrote:

We are using wifi on our tablets or phones for music. We don't have any other devices and don't use youtube. It's set on auto and channel being used is 3. We have others (3) in neighborhood. They use channels 1,6 or 11.

Netgear told me I should buy one more sat. for our home. Indicated we have dead spots the other 2 can't get to. Guess he forgot when I told him our home is single level and small. 3 sats in our home makes no sense at all.

Message 34 of 38
Old-fart
Tutor

1700 sqaure feet.

one level.

WPA2 and AES was already there. Daisy chain was already enabled. FW is the V210.

UGH. Set the channels as you directed. Will watch and see for a day or two.

Thanks you

Message 35 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, 1700 sq ft is almost too small for the base and 1 satellite. As long as the distance is 30feet or more, you should have great coverage. 

Let us know. 

Message 36 of 38
Old-fart
Tutor

It's over 30 feet and that's what we thought.

I know this is netgear and shouldn't ask about another brand but we received a note asking if we considered Asus AMesh. Should we have started with that one because of house size?

I've bothered enough for today.

Thank you

Message 37 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Despends on what sizes Asus is targeting for there products. 

Most routers alone can and do handle around 1500-2000 sq ft placed centrally on the main floor. If at opposite ends then of course the distance at the other end will need some help so adding a extender there with just the right over lap with the base router would be enough, in most cases. Again, building materials and environment will play a roll in this. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7