Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi running slow after replacing modem

Atobro
Aspirant

Orbi running slow after replacing modem

We our having speed issues since our home was hit with a power surge. The modem was replaced by ISP and have confirmed through testing that the speed coming into the house is full speed (over 400mbps). After reconnecting the Orbi, wired and wireless speeds are down to 98mbps.

We have powered everything down and back up, also did a factory reset, with no change. We have had the orbi for 1 1/2 years (with one sattelite) and it worked sufficiently.

Could the Orbi be also surge damaged and be only partially working? Or have we not set it up correctly with the new modem?

Message 1 of 22
skippybosco
Guide

Re: Orbi running slow after replacing modem

Logged into the Orbi web admin, check the statistics panel.

My guess is that you are connected to your internet modem at 100/full instead of 1000/full, limiting your speed < 100.

Need to either change the cable or get your internet provider to correct the modem.

Message 2 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

Ok, thanks for your reply. I did check the statistics panel and found that for WAN and and LAN 1 it does show 100M/full, as you thought. LAN 2 shows 1000M/full. LAN 3 shows "link down".

Could you be more specific about which cable needs to be changed (from the modem to the Orbi?) and what it needs to be changed to? And if that doesn't correct it, what am I asking the internet provider to correct. I am trying to be more specific, as have already called them and they state they are showing full speed so there is nothing they can do with an "unowned" router. I am obviously not very tech savvy, thank you for your patience.

Message 3 of 22

@Atobro wrote:

The modem was replaced by ISP...

It might help if you told people what the new modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 4 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

The modem is provided by Spectrum. Ubee E31U2V1. No, there are no Lan ports.

Message 5 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

Message 6 of 22
badbet
Aspirant

I doubt this helps but I’m with spectrum, using an rbr50 and satellite, experiencing exactly the same issue. Unfortunately, I haven’t come across a solution that doesn’t involve getting a new/different router 😞
Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too? 

What are the stats seen on your Orbi for the WAN and LAN sides? Most ISP Modems support 1000Mbps on the RJ45 ports. 

Ensure your using a good quality LAN cable between the ISP modem and RBR.

Power OFF both Orbi and ISP modem for 1 minute. Then power ON the ISP modem and let it sync, the power ON the RBR. Check stats for speeds on the WAN and LAN ports. 

Try a different modem if possible. 

@badbet wrote:
I doubt this helps but I’m with spectrum, using an rbr50 and satellite, experiencing exactly the same issue. Unfortunately, I haven’t come across a solution that doesn’t involve getting a new/different router 😞

Message 8 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  Your post seems to be a history of everything already discussed in this thread, so I am confused. 

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Responding to the other user who posted. Trying to to confuse you. 

I presume your system still isn't running well? 

@Atobro wrote:

@FURRYe38  Your post seems to be a history of everything already discussed in this thread, so I am confused. 

Message 10 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

@badbet  Did you get a new modem from Spectrum, and if so, which one specifically worked for you? If not from Spectrum, what model modem did you purchase?

Message 11 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  Correct, it is still not working. I should say working properly, as we are getting speeds that cap at 100 when using the Orbi. We did the power down and back up, and changed the cable from the modem to the Orbi from a Cat5 to a Cat6. Then checked the stats again and they were slightly different from what I previously posted. The new stats are WAN 100M/Full , LAN 1 100M/Full, LAN 2 10M/Full, LAN 3 Link Down.

Message 12 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

@badbet I am sorry, I completely read your post wrong! You had to replace your router, not your modem. What router did you replace your Orbi with?

Message 13 of 22
badbet
Aspirant

I fell back to my old router (AirPort Extreme), I don’t know that spectrum offers a different modem for this service (400Mbps). The alternative is purchasing something like an arris modem and registering it with them. I’m hesitant to do that as I don’t really want to throw yet more money at this problem.
Message 14 of 22
badbet
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 you and I have been down this road already, friend 🙂
Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like either there is a problem at the Modems LAN port or the routers LAN port. 

IF you have a prior router, you could connect the RBR to this router and check again to see if the WAN port changes from 100Mb to 1000Mb

IF the prior router supports 1000Mb then it should be the same on the RBR. IF you don't see 1000Mb on the RBR then there maybe an issue with the RBR. 

@Atobro wrote:

@FURRYe38  Correct, it is still not working. I should say working properly, as we are getting speeds that cap at 100 when using the Orbi. We did the power down and back up, and changed the cable from the modem to the Orbi from a Cat5 to a Cat6. Then checked the stats again and they were slightly different from what I previously posted. The new stats are WAN 100M/Full , LAN 1 100M/Full, LAN 2 10M/Full, LAN 3 Link Down.

Message 16 of 22
Atobro
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 @badbet  thank you for your suggestions and input. 

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope you find out something. Good Luck. 

Message 18 of 22
skippybosco
Guide

@Atobro wrote:

Ok, thanks for your reply. I did check the statistics panel and found that for WAN and and LAN 1 it does show 100M/full, as you thought. LAN 2 shows 1000M/full. LAN 3 shows "link down".

1) I apologize for the delay in responding, so many replies haha..

2) I was specifically referring to the cable between your internet modem and the WAN port of your Orbi (is this the same cable you were using prior to the new internet modem?). It should be a well branded / reviewed CAT 5e cable.

3) What do you have plugged into your LAN 2 port of your Orbi? It is showing 1000 correctly. Can also try using this cable between your internet modem and Orbi WAN port as a test.

Message 19 of 22
badbet
Aspirant

@Atobro this may not be a resolution for your issue but mine was resolved by swapping the orbi with a new one. It’s entirely possible the cable was at fault but I did try 4 or 5 other cat5e/cat6 cables.
Bear in mind that I’d only had it for about ten days. Good luck!
Message 20 of 22
skippybosco
Guide

Unlike your situation where your Orbi was the new change, their Orbi worked without issue for 2+ years. The slowdown did not happen until after the internet modem was replaced.

As such, my guess is the cable tech swapped or damaged the cable when replacing the modem or the modem is not configured correctly.
Message 21 of 22
skippybosco
Guide

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7