Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi's Speeds is a fraction of my routers

bbrown43
Aspirant

Orbi's Speeds is a fraction of my routers

Hey guys, I'm having a couple issues right now with my home network. Things were going great for a while, but I decided to run a speed test today, and now, I'm noticing some issues.

For my gear, I'm using an Arris Touchstone TG2472, and for my router, I'm using 2 Orbi RBK50s. I also pay for 300/30 speeds.

The modem is attached to the router via a Cat5E, and the Modem has DMZ enabled. On average there are around 15 devices connected, but that includes stuff like my Echo, Google Home, and Hue Hub which don't put a big strain on the network. I'm using the latest firmware as well.

Here's the issue. When I have my PC hardwired to the Modem, I get ludicrous speeds, around 390 Mbps. However, when I plug it into the router, I get around 75 Mbps. It hasn't been like this for a while, and I could usually rely on getting upwards of at least 150 on other devices hardwired to the other Orbi satellite.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or what settings to change? I'm really lost right now. Thanks in advance!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi's Speeds is a fraction of my routers

Can you please describe more about what you're doing? Do you have the Orbi in AP mode, or in router mode? Is your Arris in bridge mode, or is wireless turned off on it. The way that I would connect this up is to turn off the wireless in the Arris, use the Orbi in AP mode. You would connect the Orbi internet port to a LAN port of the Arris, and switch the Orbi to AP mode.

Could you please describe how the pieces are configured, and how they're connected?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 10
bbrown43
Aspirant

Right now my Orbi is set in router mode and is connected to the Arris via the LAN ports. Wireless is turned off on the Arris, and DMZ is enabled as well. I'm not sure what you mean by bridge mode, but I don't think that's on either.

Message 3 of 10
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Having the Arris in bridge mode would make it essentially just a modem, and then the Orbi would be in router mode, doing all the router functions. That's one way to do it, but if you don't have the Arris in bridge mode, and have the Orbi in router mode, then you may be doing double NAT, and that will slow the Orbi down a lot. If both the Arris and Orbi are doing NAT, then the wireless on the Orbi will be slower than you'd like.

So what I would do to fix this is one of these:

1. Use the Arris as your router, but turn off wireless on it. Then put the Orbi in AP mode, as I mentioned before, and connect the Orbi internet port to one of the Arris's LAN ports. No DMZ, don't use DMZ for this. Just a wired connection between the Arris and the Orbi.

2. Put the Arris in bridge mode, so that the Arris isn't doing routing or NAT or anything. Then connect the internet output of the Arris to the internet input of the Orbi, and set the Orbi in router mode. So the Orbi is doing all the router, NAT, and wireless functions. Again, no DMZ use here.

The common areas of the configurations above are that the Orbi is connected to the Arris via an ethernet cable. There is no use of DMZ on the Arris. And only one router, either the Arris or the Orbi. If you can't put the Arris into a transparent (bridge) mode where it doesn't do rounting and NAT, then the Orbi will have to be in AP mode. The Orbi should not be in router mode if it is connected to a router that's doing routing and NAT *smile*.

Personally, I prefer #1. above, but you may not be able to turn off routing and NAT on the Arris, I don't know.

Hope I haven't confused you...please feel free to ask more questions!

Message 4 of 10
bbrown43
Aspirant

Putting the Arris in bridge leads to a constant pink light on the orbi, and no connection at all.
Message 5 of 10
bbrown43
Aspirant

After resetting my modem and orbi at least 5 times, I ended up getting 450ish at the direct router, and above 200 on the satellite. Better than before, but in general the system's gonna have issues I think. I think I have a Double Nat now, I'll have to check how Plex is working for me as well.

I think DMZ was limiting the speeds, so I'm gonna try turning that on again and see what happens. 

Message 6 of 10
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@bbrown43 wrote:

After resetting my modem and orbi at least 5 times, I ended up getting 450ish at the direct router, and above 200 on the satellite. Better than before, but in general the system's gonna have issues I think. I think I have a Double Nat now, I'll have to check how Plex is working for me as well.

I think DMZ was limiting the speeds, so I'm gonna try turning that on again and see what happens. 

Seems to have lost the reply that I just wrote...what a forum :-).

Yes, double NAT will limit your wireless speed from Orbi, and you shouldn't be using DMZ for this.

Again, I would have the Arris in router mode (not bridge mode), and turn off the wireless radios on the Arris. So the Arris will be configured to only support wired LAN connections. Then connect the Orbi internet port to an Arris LAN port, and switch the Orbi into AP mode (https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point). Since only the Arris is doing routing, NAT, dhcp, etc., you won't have double NAT. And don't use DMZ at all. 

When the Orbi is in AP mode, you can use the wired LAN ports on the Orbi router unit and satellite units just as you would if the Orbi was in router mode. These ports can be handy to have available as well.

Anyways, this has worked well for me and others, and should work well for you. I'm really sorry that you're having so much trouble.

Message 7 of 10
NickC4555
Star

I have a Virgin Hub 3 (which is a rebadged Arris TG2492) in router mode connected to an Orbi Router in AP mode. The wireless is switched off on the Virgin Hub. I get no loss of LAN or WAN (Internet) speed connecting via the Orbi, and I haven't changed any of the default settings on either device, other than to put the Orbi in AP mode.

Message 8 of 10
bbrown43
Aspirant

So to clarify, you're suggesting I put the modem in Bridged, but still put the Orbi in AP instead of router mode?

Also, how will this affect my port forwarding? Should all the port forwarding be done on the Arris or on the Orbi? 

Right now, with the DMZ configuration, I get around 380 Mbps, whereas on the satellite I get closer to 270 (Both hardwired connections.) Is that a typical dropoff or is that abnormal as well.

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 10
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@bbrown43 wrote:

So to clarify, you're suggesting I put the modem in Bridged, but still put the Orbi in AP instead of router mode?

Also, how will this affect my port forwarding? Should all the port forwarding be done on the Arris or on the Orbi? 

Right now, with the DMZ configuration, I get around 380 Mbps, whereas on the satellite I get closer to 270 (Both hardwired connections.) Is that a typical dropoff or is that abnormal as well.

Thanks again!

No, if the Orbi is in AP mode (recommended), then the Arris must be in router mode. And I would turn off wireless on the Arris as well.

I don't do port forwarding, but that's done in the Arris (router functions), not in the Orbi if the Orbi is in AP mode. So setting up your port forwarding in the Arris in router mode should be just fine.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7