Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite RBS50 drops Orbi Satellite RBS50 only

Georgiakacy
Aspirant

Orbi satellite RBS50 drops Orbi Satellite RBS50 only

My Orbi RBS50 satellite frequently drops the signal from the Orbi RBR50 router. Today, I updaed to firmware 2.3 on the router and the satellite. Unfortunately, two hours later, the signal dropped. I get a seady magenty liht on the router when it drops. Sometimes i also get a green light on the router when the satellite signal drops; at other times when the signal drops, the router light is off. Also, I am unable to get the router to reset. Pressing the reset button for over a minute has no effect on the power light.

The Orbi router is connected to a Comcast/Xfinity modem. I have no signal problems from my modem.

This problem arose after six months of flawless Orbi performance. Now the dropping happens several times a day. Please advise.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Georgiakacy wrote:

My Orbi RBS50 satellite frequently drops the signal from the Orbi RBR50 router. Today, I updaed to firmware 2.3 on the router and the satellite. Unfortunately, two hours later, the signal dropped. I get a seady magenty liht on the router when it drops. Sometimes i also get a green light on the router when the satellite signal drops; at other times when the signal drops, the router light is off. Also, I am unable to get the router to reset. Pressing the reset button for over a minute has no effect on the power light.

The Orbi router is connected to a Comcast/Xfinity modem. I have no signal problems from my modem.

This problem arose after six months of flawless Orbi performance. Now the dropping happens several times a day. Please advise.

There are now two "2.3" versions of RBR50 firmware (2.3.0.32 and 2.3.1.44), which do you have?  One of the things people often advise is to perform a "Factory Reset" on the Orbi after manually updating firmware.  Depending on how much the configuration has been customized, this can be a chore.

Netgear publishes a description of Orbi color codes here: https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

"Solid Magenta" is not one of the listed codes.

Sometimes, it helps to be very specific when describing colors the Orbi is displaying.  "Green", for example, is what the Orbi and Satellite show on the tiny LED on the back.  This is normal and what it should be.  "Pulsing" colors are on the LED ring at the top.

At first, I got confused between the "sync" button on the back of the Orbi and the tiny Reset hole that we stick a paperclip in to perform a Reset (solid orange) or a "Factory Reset" (blinking orange).  (I held the sync button down for a LONG time and nothing seemed to happen!)

When something works for months and months and then fails, I usually look for "what changed?"  Did the drops begin before or after updating firmware?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
how are the satellites connected? Wired or wireless? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Georgiakacy wrote:

Message 3 of 7
Georgiakacy
Aspirant

Thank you for writing.

The ISP modem is manufactured by Arris. It is model TG1682G. I've always connected the satellite wirelessly to the router. My two story home is 1,400 sq feet on each floor. I usually keep the satellite at the top of the stairwell on the second floor--a distance of 20-30 feet from the router and modem. During troubleshooting, I've moved the satellite to the same room as the router for convenince.

I'm in a single family home in an urban community. I have one next door neighbor who likely has WIFI; their home is probably 40-50 feet from my router. 

I don't know the answers to your other questions. I assume that I must connect to the ORBI network to answer them. Unfortunately, as of last night, I'm unable to get the satellite to connect to the router at all. I've rebooted the modem, connected power to the router (which shows a slowly pulsing white light), and finally connected power to the satellite. But the satellite shines solid magenta. Is there a way for me view and set channels and view security modes without connecting to the ORBI network?

Message 4 of 7
Georgiakacy
Aspirant

Thank you for responding.

I updated to version 2.3.032 on Sunday. That was the first time I'd performed an update on the equipment and, admittedly, I did it only as a troubleshooting remedy. The drops began after updating the firmware.

The satellite color "solid magenta" is shown on as the 3rd color under "Satellite Ring LEDs" on the link that you shared.

Unfortunately, I've not confused the recessed Reset button with the Sync button. I've used a paperclip to press the Reset button for over a minute--the Power light remains steady green.

I totally appreciate your willingness to help me figure this out.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go of the back button. Do this on the RBS as well. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

After setting up the RBR, this the black sync button on the back of the RBR then RBS. Yes you can do this while in the same room with the RBR and RBS initially. Connect 1 satellite first via wireless, then once you get the BLUE led on top of the satellite. Once this is done, do a IP address reservation for the satellite ON the Orbi router. Save and apply. So same for 2nd satellite if you have one. 

If the satellite remains BLUE then turns off, this indicates the satellite is working weill. Power it off and place at remote location. Besure it's 30 feet away from the RBR. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Georgiakacy wrote:

The satellite color "solid magenta" is shown on as the 3rd color under "Satellite Ring LEDs" on the link that you shared.

You are totally correct.  I looked only at the router colors.

@Georgiakacy wrote:

Unfortunately, I've not confused the recessed Reset button with the Sync button. I've used a paperclip to press the Reset button for over a minute--the Power light remains steady green

This is really fascinating that you are not the first person to report this phenomenon. Do you actually hear (or feel) something happening when the paperclip goes in?  I am wondering if Netgear manufactured some Orbi's with the internal microswitch misaligned or something.  I would pull the case off the satellite and take a look.  It will work fine with the case off, and once it is working correctly, removing power and putting the case back on won't change the configuration.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7