Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite connection does not show up on iPhone Orbi app, but shows up as a connected device

jojo2go
Apprentice

Orbi satellite connection does not show up on iPhone Orbi app, but shows up as a connected device

Hi,

I have 1 satellite conected to my router.  It connects fine (solid blue light), and near it, I have full wifi signal so I know it is active.  However, when I look at my Orbi App on my iPhone, it says the number of connected satellites is 0.  Instead it shows up under "connected devices" with my other devices (iPhone, laptop, iPad, etc) as RBS50.

Is this normal?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Re: Orbi satellite connection does not show up on iPhone Orbi app, but shows up as a connected devic

It does the same for me.  Orbi app needs work.

Netgear Genie app is better.

Message 2 of 11
jojo2go
Apprentice

Re: Orbi satellite connection does not show up on iPhone Orbi app, but shows up as a connected devic

It appears even buggy in the Netgear Genie (orbilogin.com).  In the Genie I see the 1 satellite connected, but when I go to the advanced section -> administration -> firmware, I do not see the satellite there and its firmware.  I only see the router and its firmware.....Close to the router I get close to my max 200 Mbps speed (using OOKLA Speedtest), but currently at the satellite (with strong wifi signal), I am only getting about 60 Mbps....  I was getting about my max of 200 Mbps earlier today at the satellite... not sure why the big change now... seem not very consistent...

Message 3 of 11
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Check firmware on Orbi and satellite--they should be the same version.  Update if necessary and factory reset the satellite.  May need to sync after doing this.  This fixes some minor issues.

Message 4 of 11
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Also log into satellite to see what is attached, or try this:

Click on any device name to open Edit Device page

Click in device name box

Press the <enter> key on your computer (or Go on your iPad)

Message 5 of 11
jojo2go
Apprentice

Firmware 1.4.0.34 on both router and satellite.

Comcast 250 Mbps service

OOKLA speed test

Toshiba laptop (Win 10) at router:

(ping/up/down)

Test 1wireless: 19/232/12 (ping/up/down)

Test 2 wireless: 21/230/12

Test 3 wireless: 22/223/12

Test 1 wired to router: 22/96/12

Test 2 wired to router: 24/95/12

Test 3 wired to router: 18/95/12

iPhone 6 at router:

Test 1 wireless: 9/221/12 (ping/up/down)

Test 2 wireless: 10/237/12

Test 3 wireless: 11/236/12

Toshiba laptop (Win 10) at satellite:

Test 1 wireless: 24/79/12 (ping/up/down)

Test 2 wireless: 28/80/12

Test 3 wireless: 29/71/12

iPhone 6 at satellite:

Test 1 wireless: 15/81/12 (ping/up/down)

Test 2 wireless: 13/84/12

Test 3 wireless: 13/76/12

I tried to reboot the satellite to factory reset and re-sync, but get the same download speeds of about 80 Mbps.  When I first set this system up, I was getting 250 Mbps at the satellite too.

Why am I only getting < 1/2 down load speed at the satellite?

I do see the satellite in the netgear genie s/w again in the firmware section.

Message 6 of 11
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

At the satellite, I'm wondering if you are connected to the satellite or to the Orbi router.  Have you checked your speeds at the satellite with the satellite off?

Also log into the satellite to see if your laptop and iPhone are lised as connected devices?

Message 7 of 11
jojo2go
Apprentice

With the Satelite off, I only get about 13 Mbps and wifi signal on phone shows weak. So I know I am definitely connected to the satellite at about 80 Mbps. I have the router at one of a 1500 sq ft house and the satellite at the other end. I was getting 200 Mbps on the satellite in this area when I first set it up. But now only 80. I tried to do a sync, a factory reset to no avail. Still 80.
Message 8 of 11
jojo2go
Apprentice

Update:  I did a power cycle (unplugged) the router only and let it power back up.  I am now getting my full 200 Mbps at both the router and the Satellite on my iPhone using OOKLA.  So, I seem to be back to normal.  Lets see if it stays now and is stable....

Message 9 of 11
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Onre more thng to try:  Move the satellite about 10' closer to the router.  You could be near the limit where the satellite would show amber.

I tried moving one of my salellies about 8' farther away in my office and it went amber.  I moved it back, but probably didn't need to.  My Internet is slow (12/2.5) and the WiFi is fast so I don't have a speed issue anywhere.

Message 10 of 11
jojo2go
Apprentice

Thanks, swrtwdrv.  I did a router unplug and plug back in (didnt touch the satellite), and got my full speed back (200 Mbps at both the router and satellite).  I didnt do anything else.  Not sure if this will last, but I will monitor it.  The satellite always shows a blue light even at the far end of the home so should be a strong signal.  However, if I start to loose speed over time on the satellite, I will do as you suggest and move the satellite about 10' closer to the router.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7