Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite connection

Funkyharlemite
Aspirant

Orbi satellite connection

I have the one Orbi base - two satellite Orbi system.  I have connected the base to my cable modem.   The issues that I am having are the following:

- When I arrive in my apt, the WiFi will say that I am connected to Orbi, but I am not connecting to the internet unless I toggle the wifi buttons off, then turn it back on.   This is regardless of whether I am using my iphone, ipad or laptop.  

I should not have to turn the wifi off on my device, then turn it back on to connect.   How do I maintain constant connectivity without having to restart the device?

Message 1 of 13
tsig
Luminary

Is the Orbi the only wifi device in your home?  Do you have a router from you internet provider?  Are you using a new SSID with the Orbi, or your old one?

Message 2 of 13
Funkyharlemite
Aspirant

Hi,

We have a cable ISP so the Orbi is connected to the cable modem. I have to check but i am using the SSID for the Orbi.

Just to provide a bit more clarity, when I get home the Orbi Wifi tab will have a ☑️ Next to it but when I go to browse, the browser will say, “you are not connected to the internet.” I have to turn wifi completely off on my device, then cut it back on and the Orbi will work after about 5 seconds.

How can it automatically connect and work without toggling the button on and off? Thank you
Message 3 of 13
tsig
Luminary

Wondering if you are trying to connect to your previous wireless somehow.  Did you turn off the wireless function from your other router? 

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? 

Do any other devices experience this after leaving the house area and coming back? 

What is the device Mfr and model# your using that sees this issue? 

You might try disabling Beamforming and MIMO and see if this helps any for when you leave and return home. 

@Funkyharlemitewrote:

I have the one Orbi base - two satellite Orbi system.  I have connected the base to my cable modem.   The issues that I am having are the following:

- When I arrive in my apt, the WiFi will say that I am connected to Orbi, but I am not connecting to the internet unless I toggle the wifi buttons off, then turn it back on.   This is regardless of whether I am using my iphone, ipad or laptop.  

I should not have to turn the wifi off on my device, then turn it back on to connect.   How do I maintain constant connectivity without having to restart the device?

Message 5 of 13
naerok
Apprentice

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/What-you-can-expect-with-your-Orbi-system/td-p/1503034

This is the same issue many people are having - many people probably don't even realize it's an issue and think its just "wifi being wifi / unreliable" but it's definitely an issue with the Orbi - especially if you have more than 1 satellite unit.

I had to replace the Orbi system completely - maybe I'll hook it back up in the future when it's more reliable but I rely on my network for work and having my laptop constantly disconnect (or stay connected with no internet access) was a dealbreaker.

One (rediculous) solution some people have had success with is having a 'timer' plugged into the outlets that their orbi satellites are connected to so they can power cycle them once a day to keep the connectivity reliable.

Message 6 of 13
Funkyharlemite
Aspirant

Yes. The previous router was an apple airport. The issue is with the Orbi.
Message 7 of 13
Funkyharlemite
Aspirant

The Issue is not with the other modom as I would need a password to connect to it. Even though I see that modem as an option for connection I have never used that wireless connection.

There is no reason why I would be connected to the ISP modem, the issue is with the Orbi.
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Do any other devices experience this after leaving the house area and coming back?

What is the device Mfr and model# your using that sees this issue?

You might try disabling Beamforming and MIMO and see if this helps any for when you leave and return home.

@Funkyharlemitewrote:
Yes. The previous router was an apple airport. The issue is with the Orbi.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Just wanna make sure that the ISP modem, if it has a router and wireless built in, that those features are disabled and the modem is bridged. Haivng a router and wifi built in and enabled with the Orbi router can cause problems. Just to check with you to make sure what this modem is is all. 

@Funkyharlemitewrote:
The Issue is not with the other modom as I would need a password to connect to it. Even though I see that modem as an option for connection I have never used that wireless connection.

There is no reason why I would be connected to the ISP modem, the issue is with the Orbi.

Message 10 of 13
Funkyharlemite
Aspirant

I will turn the wireless functionality off on the ISP router and let you know what happens.
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok sounds good. 

Just curious, how close is the modem/router to the Orbi router? Distance wise.

@Funkyharlemitewrote:
I will turn the wireless functionality off on the ISP router and let you know what happens.

Message 12 of 13
cheshbr
Apprentice

Would you please clarify the following statement

When I arrive in my apt, the WiFi will say that I am connected to Orbi, but I am not connecting to the internet unless I toggle the wifi buttons off, then turn it back on.

You say “...the WiFi will say I am connected to Orbi”. What do you mean by “the WiFi”?

Then you say “...unless I toggle the wifi buttons off, then turn it back on”. What WiFi buttons?  

WiFi is is a method of distributing a network signal wirelessly.  WiFi does not depend on the internet to work. If it is, you may see positive indicators that WiFi is working, eg bars on your phone, even if the internet is not.

Your problem might be with the device connecting your house to the internet that then plugs into the Orbi, such as a modem.  For example a modem with wake on lan active, or a timer to disable it for some reason

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7