Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite disconnecting intermittently

margieho
Aspirant

Orbi satellite disconnecting intermittently

I have been using the orbi set since Jun. Things went perfectly in the first few weeks until July the satellite started to disconnect either from the main router or internet intermittently. Sometimes you could tell it is probably got disconnect from the router from the colour ring but sometimes it just not connecting to the Internet. At all time devices connecting directly to the router work just fine. So should be the satellite issue. I made sure the firmware is most up to date. I raised 2 cases in NETGEAR Support in the last 2-3 weeks got no responses (I am furious! My 90 day complimentary support is almost gone. Yet to find any phone number that I could directly contact in my country). I read some threads it seems someone had similar issues, anyone could share how it got resolved? I worked from home a lot and it is seriously affecting my work efficiency. I used another Netgear router model before never ran into serious issues so never had to contact their support - really fed up with it now. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you!
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite disconnecting intermittently

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Have you factory reset the Satellite and re-added it?

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

Message 2 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @margieho

I'm sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your Orbi satellite and getting in contact with support. I have sent you a PM, please respond at your earliest convenience. 

~Christian

Message 3 of 7
margieho
Aspirant

I managed to finally get in touch with NETGEAR Support by phone and it ended up their recommendation was to get my satellite replaced. Will read through the list @FURRYe38 kindly provided and might try them out while I am waiting for the replacement. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 5 of 7
margieho
Aspirant

Here is the update - so I just got the satellite replaced from the authorized support center here last week. It wasn't any better than the old one, the local support suggested to change the router setting region to "America" (original default was Europe; I'm actually located in Hong Kong) - he said somehow this normally gives the best signal in Hong Kong. Seems he is right - it has been 2 days the disconnection problem not occuring (previously the disconenction happened at least 7-8 times a day so this is pretty obviously) - hopefully this will last and not just out of luck this week.

Thanks again to all who attempted to help! 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it figured out. Odd that regional settings impacts operation and performance.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7