Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

sAik0
Tutor

DarrenM,
did you receive my private message? Any progress on the issue so far?
Please let us al know the current status.
This will be my last try to keep ORBI from flying out of the window.

Rgds,

sAik0
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 26 of 571
JudeMills
Tutor

Just purchased a RBK53 Orbi Home System from Costco. Set it up yesterday and everything worked out of the box. System comes with (1)RBR50 Router and (2)RBS50 Satellites.  Everything was communicating and working well with good internet connection.  Decided to manually update the firmware to version 1-12-0-18. As suggested, started with the two Satellites.  Downloaded the zip files from Netgear and extracted them to my Desktop [running Windows 8.1]. All good.  Launched the Orbi Router Login and went to the area for Firmware Updates and clicked on Manual.  Both the router and the satellites where listed correctly.  Checked the first Satellite box and hit update.  As per instructions, "browsed" to the RBS-50 1-12-0-18 files and clicked on it and then clicked on Upload.  All good, starts the update and little timer clock finishes at 100%.  All good.  Then it trys to reconnect with the Satellite.  THE BIG NOTHING.  The popup box goes dead and cannot establish a connections. Wonderful.....  Try turning the Satellite on and off and get the dreaded 'Solid Magenta' light.  I next tried syncing with router by pressing both the Satellite and Router sync buttons.  NOTHING.  Then tried resetting the Satellite and going through the same process. Still NOTHING!  Satellite CANNOT connect to the router.  Then tried updating the the second Satellite.... bad move. Same thing happened!!  I am afraid to touch the router since then I'll lose internet entirely!  Totally annoyed.  Brand new supposed great system, that I paid a LOT of money for, that only has the router working with original firmware and two worthless satellites.  Afraid what's going to happen when the Router  "automatically" updates the firmware to this newest version!  From what I've read on this forum, lots of people are having this problem.  Thinking I should just box it all up and return it to Costco and go with the Velop.  Wasting a lot of time on this.  Anyone have a solution to my problem???  How do you get the Router to communicate with the Satellites again?  Do I have to update the router too for them to be able to communicate? 

Message 27 of 571
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes all devices need to be on the same version of the firmware in order to work together.

DarrenM

Message 28 of 571

I also have an RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites.  They lose connection to the base about once a day, kicking all devices offline that were connected to that satellite.  This means this entire setup is useless.  I'm half tempted to go back to my Airport Extreme, which worked 24/7/365 without issues.  Netgear, please fix this ASAP!

Message 29 of 571
JRTTulsa
Initiate

I am having the same connection dropping problem despite running the latest fw.

Message 30 of 571
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you are still having drops send me a Pm with your name, Email, and phone number and I will get you working with support to troubleshoot the issue.

DarrenM

Message 31 of 571
JRTTulsa
Initiate

Removed your Info but I have it - DarrenM

Message 32 of 571
DerekBerube
Tutor

Support provided instructed me to go to the Admin Page -> Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings page and remove the check mark from the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" option. 

They also wanted me to uncheck the following options, but they had already been unchecked.

• Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING
  • Enable MU-MIMO

Attached is a before/after screen shot of that particular setting. 

Before And After.png

I'm testing that configuration now.

Message 33 of 571
seamark
Initiate

Darren,

I sent the requested contact information to you on Friday via private message. Did you receive it?

Thanks.

Mark

Message 34 of 571
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Seamark

Yes I did If you sent it late on friday then I sent it to support yesterday they should be contacting you soon.

DarrenM

Message 35 of 571
schnoberts
Tutor

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Bought the Orbi last week. It was running 3 days before the satellite and hub stopped talking. Now they won't resync.

I'm just going to bundle this stuff back into its box and return it. Life is too short when there's other products out there.
Message 36 of 571
DerekBerube
Tutor

Netgear initiated an RMA for my RBW30 router. However, they wanted me to pay for shipping so I’m sending it back to them via Amazon at no cost to me. Amazon will send a replacement.
Message 37 of 571
Dustin278
Apprentice

Thing to try:

Factory reset satellite by holding reset button for 40 seconds - give it at least 2 minutes to boot back up and then hold sync button on satellite for 10 seconds then push router sync button.

Bring satellite into same room as router when syncing.

Use the Orbi app to see if the satellites are talking vs orbilogin.com (my orbi login page said that were not connected when in fact the Orbi app said that they were) 

Find the ip address(see below) to the individual satellites and manually update the firmware (they all need to be on same firmware to talk)

***to find the ip address of satellite I used this method:  

On command prompt: type "arp -a" (without quotes) and it will display all the respective IP Address and MAC Address of the devices connected. 

That way we will know what is the IP Address of the other Satellite and access its Admin page***

I believe that the newest Firmware is very close to releasing because I now am on V2.0.0.64 given to me from Level 2 support last night

Message 38 of 571
Dustin278
Apprentice

I also have read that if you use a special character like a $ or % in your password there is a bug that causes satellites to disappear.. 

Message 39 of 571
schnoberts
Tutor

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm concerned that this reset business is just sticking plaster over a problem that shouldn't be occurring.
Message 40 of 571

Any further updates here?  I changed my Orbi password, hoping that would help, but it hasn't.  Please upgrade the status to "urgent" for your development team.

Message 41 of 571
Tritian
Tutor

Did that new firmware fix your dropped connections?

Message 42 of 571
Dustin278
Apprentice

Yes the beta firmware has made my system stable now
Message 43 of 571
Goddard1328
Aspirant

Same problem as everyone else, satalites keep dropout going their connect, ussingt lates firmware
Message 44 of 571
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Darren,

Have PM's you my email and name to try the new beta to stop the disconnects. Would be grateful if you could pass to whoever emails out the links to the beta firmware downloads. My units are constantly dropping all connections and then im having to wait until they reconnect 

Message 45 of 571

I sent my information a while back, and nobody ever contacted me.  Not a single word or phone call.  I'd really like to try out the new firmware, or have you relase it ASAP.  My Netgear devices are worthless if I have to constantly instruct someone to pull power on a daily basis.  Seriously, please get the firmware out now!

Message 46 of 571
b73
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately, the beta firmware v2.0.0.64 did not solve this problem for me. I am now on v2.0.0.66 but won't know for another 24-hour cycle if it worked.

Message 47 of 571
Tritian
Tutor

I opened a ticket with Netgear support. Level 1 walked me through a bunch of things I had already tried. Had to wait a few hours for the next disconnect. Called back. Level 1 again tried to make me do the same thing. I asked to go to Level 2...they said NO. they wanted me to go through the same steps I went through the day before on the same ticket! They would not let me get the new firmware. They told me to return the product to the store! Wonderful support you have Netgear.

In order to even work from home I have had to put ANOTHER router in place and turn the Orbi to AP mode. We will see if that works as a temporary solution. I am ordering your competitors products right now. Done with Netgear.

Message 48 of 571

I'm still waiting for that support call.  And I still have useless products that will not reliably connect me to the internet.  Come on Netgear, get your act together.  Given this experience, I'll never buy another Netgear product again.

Message 49 of 571
Davo122
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM

forever getting the satellite dropping out, doesnt show up on the home page status when logged into the router. Used the sync buttons and all i get is a the white glowing lights and no blue solid light. Very frustrating. Latest firmware install and factory reset done multiple times. Please help

Regards

David

Message 50 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7