Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

bowmah
Guide

My Satellite has hardly dropped to the point where the blue light comes on. It has been blue for almost 20 hours now. Unplugged it and it came back to life. This is on: V2.0.0.72

Noticed .74 is ready for update, will try that. How can this happen with so many months of happy connecting? 😞

Message 76 of 571
OrbiWan
Guide

I have wireless clients right next to my 2 satellites but they still connect to the router 50 feet away and get bad throughput.
Message 77 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@OrbiWan wrote:
I have wireless clients right next to my 2 satellites but they still connect to the router 50 feet away and get bad throughput.

If you want help with a specific issue, you should start a new thread and describe in detail what's happening in your specific case.  Meanwhile.... Note that WiFi clients ultimately decide what AP to connect to and whether to switch.  Some clients never switch once they latch onto an AP, as long as they can still see that AP.  You might have to reboot some clients (or power-cycle a client's WiFi) to get them to connect to the strongest AP. MacOS devices are in this category, as are many IP cameras. Also, understand that you may need to do this any time your Orbi reboots. This is becaue the router will come up first, before the satellites, and some clients will connect to the router, then never switch to the satellite, regardless of signal strength.

Message 78 of 571
isp
Tutor
Tutor

I had similar problems: satellite losing connection intermittently but frequently, immediately after an automatic upgrade to the v2.0.0.74 firmware.

In my case, disabling the new Daisy-Chain topology option resolved the problem.

In the admin settings: Advanced -> Wireless Settings -> Backhaul Topology. Disable "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology".

(More info about my setup: RBK50, with 3x RBS50, operating in Router mode. After the firmware auto-upgrade, one of the RBS50 satellites lost connectivity for ~10 minutes at a time, about 1-2 times per hour. Restarting the router & satellites moved the dropping connection problem to a different satellite instead, i.e., at any time router & 2 satellites were OK, but a different 1 satellite kept dropping connection. The 2 satellites that each showed the problem are within range of each other, as well as within range of the router. No visible indication of the connection being dropped in the ring LED. Ping to the router showed no problems - it worked with 100% success and normal low ping times, then dropped to 0% success, then back to 100% success, etc. Disabling Daisy-Chain Topology, which does an automatic restart, and no further problems since.)

Message 79 of 571
OrbiWan
Guide

I have everything disabled, included uPnP.

Can you tell me if your clients in the same room of the satellites are connecting to it or is it connected to the router?

Message 80 of 571
isp
Tutor
Tutor

@OrbiWan wrote:

Can you tell me if your clients in the same room of the satellites are connecting to it or is it connected to the router?

Yes, my clients tend to connect to the closest satellite. (Verified using Android app "WiFi Analyzer".)

I also have computers connected to each satellite by Ethernet cable. This made the intermittent connection drop I described above very easy to detect.

Message 81 of 571
OrbiWan
Guide

Try looking in the orbi set up page under "attached devices". 

Message 82 of 571
isp
Tutor
Tutor

@OrbiWan wrote:

Try looking in the orbi set up page under "attached devices". 

Same results: wired devices shown as connected to the satellites they're wired to (as expected!), and various wireless devices are each connected to the current nearest satellite.

Message 83 of 571
OrbiWan
Guide

So you don't have a lemon then. Well I'm pretty techy when it comes to setting this stuff up and I've tried everything to factory resets to turning on each satellite sequentially. I get blue strong signal and satellites in line of sight with less than 50 feet from each other. I'm going to hang on for 1 more week and if no firmware updates fix this simple problem, it's going back to the shop. Thanks for the input everyone. 

Message 84 of 571
bluefish10
Guide

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. We held off of installing the beta in the hopes that the next official update would fix things. But no, it's still going on. Absolutely ridiculous. For anyone looking for a fix right now, the one thing that actually works is unplugging the satellite in question. This means if your device gets disconnected, unplug the satellite closest to that deviceSad that netgear can't figure this out, I'm sure this issue is quite widespread.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 85 of 571
bluefish10
Guide

Great, I accidentally marked someone's comment as the solution. 

IT IS NOT THE SOLUTION. THIS ISSUE IS NOT SOLVED.

and of course stupid netgear website doesn't have an option to unflag a comment as the solution.

Message 86 of 571

This means if your device gets disconnected, unplug the satellite closest to that device.

For anyone with the problem, ^ this is the ONLY solution.  Netgear hasn't done squat to fix this, and its been eons.  This, and never buy another Netgear product again.  If you are even considering the Orbi, DON'T BUY IT!

Message 87 of 571
GubbenPatrik
Aspirant

Still, there is the option go install firmware 1.11.0.20 (or earlier), and the system will work as expected. I'm now happy with my Orbi.
Message 88 of 571
ztevie
Guide

It's not an acceptable solution to be forced to use old firmware without all announced functionality, just to have a functional device.
If you buy something else, let's say a TV, would you be happy if it turns off now and then, and the solution is to only watch certain channels? It works so it's ok...
Message 89 of 571
GubbenPatrik
Aspirant

Of course, if there is funtionality you really need in newer version, that is a problem. But if you simply are after a stable wifi coverage in all of your house, like me, downgrading to older workable firmware is a perfect solution. There is no funtionality I ask for in the newer versions of the firmware and I will rather wait for a stable version before upgrading again.
Message 90 of 571
ztevie
Guide

I know, I'm just frustrated with companies using resources to develop new functionality before the basic functions are stable.
Netgear's not alone, I've seen this with other brands aswell. They develop all these bells and whistles functionality and use it in ads to sell. Then when everything go south the solution is often to not use those new functions....
Message 91 of 571
Tritian
Tutor

I RMA'd my router. GOt everything setup on 2.0.0.74. I have been up and solid connections for 15 days. Not one single drop.

Message 92 of 571
BrianBB
Aspirant

I am on Router Firmware Version V2.0.0.74 and have the satellites dropping conections constantly.  The problem became worse once moving to 2.0.0.74 from 2.0.0.72.  So the problem is far from fixed

Message 93 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@BrianBB wrote:

I am on Router Firmware Version V2.0.0.74 and have the satellites dropping conections constantly.  The problem became worse once moving to 2.0.0.74 from 2.0.0.72.  So the problem is far from fixed

If you had these issues and they got worse with .74, you should try moving your router and/or satellites so they are closer and/or have fewer walls and building materials in between them.  The satellites will drop if they do not have a good and stable signal over time.  The latest firmware seemed to reduce the satellite to router range for some folks and moving things solved thier issues.

Message 94 of 571
OrbiWan
Guide

Run Forrest, run! From a post before, you shouldn't have to do so much work upgrading firmware, trying to play with setting, moving them to the correct sun angle, cutting against the grain. I've done all I can and I'm so happy with my old router. Return it before your window is closed.
Message 95 of 571
DerekBerube
Tutor

I have had my system setup such that the Orbi satellite routers have a static DHCP reserveration.  The satellites no longer drop; however, the Internet DOES SLOW DOWN for devices connected to the satellite (either RBW30 or RBS50).  Devices connected directly to the main router (RBR50) DO NOT manifest this problem.

I've been engaged with technical support for almost a month now to no avail.

Message 96 of 571
ZKChoi
Tutor

Darren -

I had the same issue as others noted; one of my RBS50 satellites wouldn't show up in the admin interface.  Tried rebooting, tried factory reset, nothing worked.  In my specific case, I could plug a laptop or printer into the ethernet port of the satellite and everything seemed to work; I would get IP address, and I could get internet, send/receive pings, etc.   But I couldn't see the satellite from my admin console on the main unit and I couldn't determine IP address to login to satellite...  What worked for me:

1) Get into debug mode:  192.168.1.1/debug/htm

2) enable SOAP commands between satellites

3) run script

4) save files to local machine

5) Open Wireless log - (I'm pretty sure this is the name, but can't remember - don't have the files on this PC).  You may have to look for the file that seems like it has the correct info. 

6) look through log text for your missing satellites' MAC addresss - P.O.E - find main router and other satellite MAC from admin console or on back of Orbi. 

7) get IP address from the logs

😎 login to missing satellite using IP found in step 7

9) I had to update firmware on my "missing" satellite.  I'm not sure if the factory reboot caused the firmware to revert to an old version or if something else caused it.  But after I updated the firmware, the missing satellite rebooted and voila', it showed up in the admin console.  I've also now been able to use ReadyShare for a shared printer...  So far so good.

This worked for me, but it may not work for others.  Regardlss, Netgear should share this information with the user community.  I'm not all that tech saavy, but was able to do the things above to solve my own problem.  I'm sure most others in the forums would gladly do the same... 

Message 97 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@ZKChoi Issuing the command "arp -a" from a command window in Windows, Linux, or MacOS will produce a list of known IPs and MAC addresses.  When I do this, I can see the IPs of my Orbi router and satellite.  Perhaps this would be an easier approach to find the IP address of the satellite, assuming it works when this problem is present.  One would need to get the MAC addresses from the labels on the Orbis.

Message 98 of 571

Does anyone know how to reboot a non-responsive satellite from the Orbi web page?  Would it even work?  One of my satellites is in a location in my house that is inconvenient, but like always, everything connected to that satellite is not getting an internet connection.

Message 99 of 571
Oliverpool
Guide

But it keeps auto updating to the newest version automatically after a while! I have never had any item that upgrades their firmware automatically! Crazy and silly.  Netgear please get your act together!

Message 100 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7