Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

st_shaw
Master

@HockeyStick wrote:

Does anyone know how to reboot a non-responsive satellite from the Orbi web page?  Would it even work?  One of my satellites is in a location in my house that is inconvenient, but like always, everything connected to that satellite is not getting an internet connection.

You can log into the satellite via telnet and issue a "reboot" command. You have to enable telnet via the GUI first.  None of that will work if you cannot access the satellite via the LAN, of course.

It sounds like your satellite might be too far from your router and you need to move them closer together to get a reliable backhaul link.

Message 101 of 571
GubbenPatrik
Aspirant

Liverpool, see post 73 which contains links to how to stop autoupdate.
Message 102 of 571
mrtelarc
Tutor

The problem in this discussion is exactly what I am experiencing - very easy to track as I have a Sonos system thoughout my house which drops out and requires a restart on the individual units. Signal is great and then drops drastically, not sure if it is "completely", but enough to cause numerous problems. Saw there was help and I really need it! Thanks! Bob

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 103 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@mrtelarc wrote:

The problem in this discussion is exactly what I am experiencing - very easy to track as I have a Sonos system thoughout my house which drops out and requires a restart on the individual units. Signal is great and then drops drastically, not sure if it is "completely", but enough to cause numerous problems. Saw there was help and I really need it! Thanks! Bob

How is your Sonos system configured, Standard or Boost mode? How many of your Sonos devices are wired to your LAN?

Message 104 of 571
mrtelarc
Tutor

No devices are wired to LAN - all are connected wirelessly to router, and with Netgear Nighthawk I had no problems with connectivy, but I did with coverage. Orbi is great until the signal drops periodically and then I lose connectivity (which stops Sonos from playing). I had a bridge system on it for several years which as a pain. Orbi is great if it wouldn't have disconects/drop of signal.

Message 105 of 571
TomZ
Tutor

I have an RBR50, RBS50; both with 2.0.74 firmware.  I am experiencing WiFi dropouts as well, but it seems to be limited to my Galaxy Note 8.    It won't stay connected for more than 10 minutes.   This occurrs on my main SSID as well as the guest.   I also changed the channels, and this had no effect.   

Suggestions appreciated.

Message 106 of 571
Ady1892
Aspirant

I am also experiencing the same random dropouts on my:

• RBR50 (Firmware Version: V2.0.0.74)
  • RBS50 (Firmware Version: V2.0.0.74)

Having moved house a few months ago I has assumed my broadband connection was acting up, but after many phone calls to my ISP I now realise it as actually the Orbi that is acting up.

I am now having to reboot my Orbi router and satellite on a dily basis.

After spending almost £400 on Orbi I would expect much much better performance/support - just not good enough.

Message 107 of 571
TomZ
Tutor

Based on my research, it seems the only option left is to do a factory reset on my Note 8.   Re-setting everything takes a lot to time to things back to the way they are.   I will hold out for a less burdensome solution before I go that route.

Message 108 of 571
Toy4wd
Tutor

Started happening to me today.  After a reset keeps dropping.  Ready to switch over completely to the Norton Core as both running for a few months now and have had no issues with the core thus far. Continue to be disappointed with Orbi. 

Message 109 of 571
TomZ
Tutor

About a week ago, my Note 8 drop-outs ceased.    I made no changes to my phone or to my Orbi, so I can't explain why this happened.   I'm not going to complain and I hope this is permanent! 

Message 110 of 571
dillane
Initiate

I've request for PMs often and as the primary moderator response.  Why the need to private messages?  More transparency to issues would be helpful.  The issue of dropped connections seems pervasive enough that for each firmware update a new set of issues crops up.  I realize that wireless technology is difficult, but it would be helpful if at least some paper trail was available by Netgear which rules out issues and relates threads to open issues.

If I've missed the paper trail, my apologies, but dropped connections is becoming an on-going issue for me as well and I'm not clear how to remedy the problems I'm facing.

Message 111 of 571

It’s incredibly painful. I had the disconnection problem over the summer and a firmware fix seemed to address it. However it’s reoccurred in the last 2-3 weeks but I’m now outside the 90-day period and have no means of support. It’s really unacceptable for a premium product to be supported in this way.
Message 112 of 571
EricEsquire
Initiate

I am having the same problem. Please include me in any list of affected users and let me know if a beta version is available. Thanks. 

Message 113 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's very unusual.  My orbi was stable before 1.10.x.  Then it went nuts until 2.0.x came out.  Now, after a solid month on 2.0 working great, I've gone back to nuts.  No new devices, no change in the environment.  Very weird...

Message 114 of 571
tcaradonna
Guide

Like others, I too am running latest firmware and finding satellite dropping issues are destroying the internet.

Life is once again foiled by...yet another Netgear piece of garbage.

Why, oh why do I let Netgear treat me so?

Message 115 of 571
mm06905
Guide

I have been having the same issuss of droping wireless signal. It has been driving me nuts.

I have 1 Base RBR50 2/ 50 satalites and 1/ 30  Support worked with me once and it seem to help but it is back again. I have the latest firmware. Please Help as I am having trouble working from home. I have a lot of money tied to this system. This should be addressed ASAP.

Message 116 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ever since 1.10.x long term stability has gone through the floor.  Some of these firmwares seem to run fine for weeks at a time, and then all of a sudden, bleh, the sats reboot, loose connection etc.

Is it possible there is some sort of internal corruption occuring? 

Message 117 of 571
Khen
Aspirant

I don't understand why the PM? We all are obviously having similer issues and come to the forum seeking mutual help.  After already having multiple conversations with my ISP (Comcast) I realized for once it not their fualt! I have been singing praise for my Orbi over a year now, but I so frustrated looks like im gonna redeem my warrenty with Best Buy and go for a linksys velop or ANYTHING that will actually work.

Again, why the secrecy of information?

Message 118 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@Khen,  the PM is so you can privately provide your device serial number, details on your specific issue, and your personal contact information to NETGEAR so they can create a support ticket and be able to follow-up.  You don't want to post your personal details on the Internet do you?

Message 119 of 571
Khen
Aspirant

I can understand the personal information, however I have yet to see an actual solution to this problem.  This thread has 6k+ views, how is this not a top priority for NETGEAR?  My internet speed has gone from 100mbps to 2.5mbps, with most websites just timing out all together.  I feel customers should not have to go through what has been suggested so far (Degrading firmware, Disabling updates via Telnet). Not what I expected from a premium 400$ router.  It's too late for me as my family needs to have working internet and I'll be trading in my Orbi ASAP for another system, I do hope they can resolve this for their existing customers. I listed my Orbi model to let NETGEAR know what system is affecting me.

Message 120 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@Khen, This thread is many months old and was started based on old firmware.

You registered today and the post above questioning the PMs was your first post, so nobody on the forum has any information on your situation.

If you are having issues, start your own new thread describing your network configuration and the issues you are experienceing and maybe someone can assist you.

Message 121 of 571
ztevie
Guide

Well, I see an obvious advantage if Netgear would participate more in these threads instead of "going PM" all the time. Personal information can be PM:ed but solving issues discussion can be public.
If some have actually gotten help by going PM with Netgear it would be good for all of those solutions are posted publicly. Imagine all the support cases they wouldn't need to work with if people could fix their issues by themselves?

Unless of course.... There are no solutions!? In that case it would be better for Netgear to keep it private cause they could still keep on selling units. If they admit publicly there are issues that can not be solved the only right thing to do would be to stop selling them...
Message 122 of 571
Achazen
Aspirant

I have been having the same issues. Satellite constantly drops signal, particularly at night, the led ring on top of the satellite is rarely not some color or another. The main router has never had an issue - it is only the satellite. Running firmware 2.0.0.74
Message 123 of 571
mastervisa30
Luminary

Hi got my  orbi RBK53 today,it has 

Firmware Version 2.0.0.74

I just want good coverage and wireless speed.

What firmware is most stable today?

And how do i uppdate my two sattelit and router?

Im new on netgear so need that help i can gett.

Can i accses my router when im not at home?

Thanks help tips 🙂

Message 124 of 571
Dustin278
Apprentice

@mastervisa30 wrote:

Hi got my  orbi RBK53 today,it has 

Firmware Version 2.0.0.74

I just want good coverage and wireless speed.

What firmware is most stable today?

And how do i uppdate my two sattelit and router?

Im new on netgear so need that help i can gett.

Can i accses my router when im not at home?

Thanks help tips 🙂

Yes this is the most recent firmware and has been stable for me - there is a BETA for the KRACK fix 2.0.0.76 but I have not yet updated and will wait for the official firmware.

Message 125 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7