Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mfroggie wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:

Sounds like your new satellite might be located too far from the Orbi router to make a stable backhaul connection. You might need to move the router and/or the satellite to different spots to get a stable connection.

That is why it worked all week last week with no issues. Not sold.

Since the 1.10.x firmware was released, the stability of the system is very erratic.  It can work for weeks at a time fine, but then, go completely unstable.  If you're getting the magenta circle, you need to move it closer.  Closer can mean 20 feet from the router or even less since the 2.0.x release.  It sounds absurd, but sadly true.

Message 151 of 571
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@TXGunLover wrote:

@mfroggie wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:

Sounds like your new satellite might be located too far from the Orbi router to make a stable backhaul connection. You might need to move the router and/or the satellite to different spots to get a stable connection.

That is why it worked all week last week with no issues. Not sold.

Since the 1.10.x firmware was released, the stability of the system is very erratic.  It can work for weeks at a time fine, but then, go completely unstable.  If you're getting the magenta circle, you need to move it closer.  Closer can mean 20 feet from the router or even less since the 2.0.x release.  It sounds absurd, but sadly true.

Not having stability problems here, before or since the 1.10 firmware. Using 2.0.0.76 Beta right now, and it's performing well. The usual great wireless coverage, and the wireless signal is a little stronger than it was with 2.0.0.74. I did have to move my satellite a little closer to the router with the 2.0.0.74 firmware version, but it's still far enough away to give me full house wireless coverage. My router is at one end of my house, and the satellite is about in the middle, at least 30 feet away (and several walls) from the router. 

As a side note, I'm using the Orbi in AP mode, happy with that.

Message 152 of 571
st_shaw
Master

No stability issues for me either, after 11 months of operation, in AP mode.

I would bet that many of the infrequent issues folks are having are RF related. From reading these forums you can see there are a great many wireless devices that clobber each other. Orbi really needs a way to monitor the backhaul signal strength and noise so people can know if they have issues.

Whenever Netgear finally releases the wired backhaul feature that could solve a lot of problems.

Message 153 of 571
Merose
Tutor

After reading all the nightmare stories and realizing this is not an isolated problem, I'm absolutely shocked the Orbi is rated so high and there isn't a class action lawsuit in the works. Mine is going back to Costco as soon as possible and going with Google WiFi.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 154 of 571
MrX911
Apprentice

Purchased Google Wifi today. Simple set up and sp nice to go back to a solid connection! 

I also have Amplifi arriving on Thursday and will keep the best. It certainly wont be Orbi and I doubt I will ever purchase another Netgear product after this.

Message 155 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@st_shaw wrote:

I would bet that many of the infrequent issues folks are having are RF related. From reading these forums you can see there are a great many wireless devices that clobber each other. Orbi really needs a way to monitor the backhaul signal strength and noise so people can know if they have issues.

Whenever Netgear finally releases the wired backhaul feature that could solve a lot of problems.

If it is RF related, it only affects Orbi.  Mine worked flawlessley until the precise day it received 1.10.x.  Since then, it's been back and forth working andn not.  If i fire up my AC88U, it works flawlessley, all the time, but can't cover 4000+ sq feet well.

Message 156 of 571
Raka1212
Guide

After reading so many horror stories, I don’t believe I am ready to try out the system for long. It seems hit and miss scenario for so many users for such anpricey system. I don’t want to miss 90 days return window. Going back to Costco.
Message 157 of 571

It’s not interference. There is a problem with the Orbi’s so take them back ASAP. Netgear reads these threads and if they had a solution they would chime in, but they can’ because they don’t know. I went to the X10 and four of the new X8000 they released and I have not had one drop since installed it 3 weeks ago. Everything is in the same exact spot as the orbis.

ORBI SUCKS!
Message 158 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jameswalkertx wrote:
It’s not interference. There is a problem with the Orbi’s so take them back ASAP. Netgear reads these threads and if they had a solution they would chime in, but they can’ because they don’t know. I went to the X10 and four of the new X8000 they released and I have not had one drop since installed it 3 weeks ago. Everything is in the same exact spot as the orbis.

ORBI SUCKS!

While it probably isn't interference, I don't believe it's a hardware fault.  For many, it had been perfect for months, but beginning with 1.10.x they lost control of stability.  They have to go back to a previous release, disregard all changes made since that period, and start from a stable place.

You're correct, they'd chime in if they believed they had a clue, but they don't.

Message 159 of 571
tcaradonna
Guide

@st_shaw wrote:

No way.   When my satellite is in the same room as the base router I still get the problem.  It drops the internet when it decides to connect to the satellite.  It’s not interference or signal strength. It’s junk firmware, plain and simple. 

Message 160 of 571
mtlam
Guide

Definitely junk firmware, I've been using the eero pro now for two days and so far no drops, stable and quick enough for my use. When I had the orbi, I did try putting it in AP mode to rule out issues and that didn't help one bit.

Message 161 of 571
st_shaw
Master

st_shaw wrote:

New firmware with wired backhaul was just released!

Message 162 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@st_shaw wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:

New firmware with wired backhaul was just released!

People don't run Wifi mesh networks if they have structured wiring.  I'd be using Ubiquiti AP's if I had ethernet avaialble.  The whole purpose of Orbi is to allow for a wireless mesh network.

I'm glad they offer this feature, but folks who wanted it need to evaluate why they've purchased Orbi to use as wired AP's versus things like the Ubiquiti AP's.

Message 163 of 571
st_shaw
Master

What you said is logical. That’s why Netgear didn’t include wired backhaul initially. However, many Orbi users have posted on here quite forcefully that they want wired backhaul as an option.

Message 164 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@st_shaw wrote:

What you said is logical. That’s why Netgear didn’t include wired backhaul. However, many Orbi users have posted on here quite forcefully that they want wired backhaul as an option.

Yes, I'm glad they included it for those users, but I can't imagine, if you had structured wiring why you'd use Orbi.  

Message 165 of 571
tagteam
Virtuoso

Raka1212 wrote:
.....I don’t want to miss 90 days return window. Going back to Costco.
The 90 day return policy is inapplicable to this item. I know two people who have returned two different routers to Costco well beyond the window period (one of them returned the router after he had owned it for around a year and a half).

I bought my Orbi system from Costco and saved the box. In the event I ever have persistent issues with it, I will be packing it up and returning it to Costco and I don't care if that's a couple of months from now or a couple of years.

Message 166 of 571
mtlam
Guide

That is correct, the orbi system is not subject to the 90-day window return at Costco. I had my orbi system for well over 6 months and went to return it when it started having issues.

Message 167 of 571
MrX911
Apprentice

Anyone with any early thoughts on the new 2.1 firmware. Does  it help cure the dropouts?

Message 168 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MrX911 wrote:

Anyone with any early thoughts on the new 2.1 firmware. Does  it help cure the dropouts?

No changes.  Devices that dropped out before continue to do so.

Message 169 of 571
diggle
Apprentice

Ok...just spent an hour on the phone to netgear support about the Orbi.

Note that I have one router and one satellite.

1. Turn off daisy chaining.

2. Turn on mumimo and beam forming

3. Set 2.4 channel to 11, and 5ghz channel to 48

4. Reboot router and satellite to check above changes are correctly applied

5. Reset network settings in all attached iPads, and login to Orbi network.

this seems to have everything covered at the moment, at least for the mobile devices. I had to renew lease on my iMac.

ill see how long this lasts.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 170 of 571
tcaradonna
Guide

@MrX911 wrote:

Do you mean 2.0.1.2?  (Latest to my knowledge.)

If so then, no, it don’t work any better.

Is there a 2.1?

Message 171 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tcaradonna wrote:

@MrX911 wrote:

Do you mean 2.0.1.2?  (Latest to my knowledge.)

If so then, no, it don’t work any better.

Is there a 2.1?

V2.1.1.12 was released today.   It includes ethernet backhaul among other things.

Message 172 of 571
MrX911
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

@MrX911 wrote:

No changes.  Devices that dropped out before continue to do so.

Well early days as less than 24hours, but by now I would have had a dropout and none so far. My outdoor camera is also picking up signal where it wound’t before so possibly slightly stronger WiFi signal too?

My Orbi was all boxed up and ready to go but this might just get it a reprieve. Tried Google Wifi but that is boxed up as way too slow when the whole family were on line, possibly due to lack of MIMU. Also didn’t realise I cant operate it in bridge mode. 

Amplifi HD should get delivered today so will be good to see how that goes. Really want the Orbi to settle down though and be a keeper as I will miss the additional ports Vs the Amplifi. 

Will post again the minute I get dropout or connection error. 

Message 173 of 571
vlix
Initiate

My Samsung Galaxy S8+ drops connection randomly when connected to 5GHz band.

It somehow learned that and now connects to 2.4GHz band, and no longer drops connection randomly..

Maybe there are some incompatibility on the 5GHz band with these devices? Especially Samsung Android devices from what i read in this forum.

Message 174 of 571
heathbanks
Initiate

Could not agree more.  This system was expensive and is terrible.  I wasted dozens of hours just trying to get my commputer to connect.  So frustrating.

Message 175 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7