Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

MrX911
Apprentice

@maxsc wrote:
Amplify HD worked perfect for me, but Orbi in theory offers better wi-fi speed... I recently upgraded my broadband to 1000 mbit/s, so just wanted to get most of it in wi-fi, Amplify is slower (again in theory).

Thanks, thought so.

I too am paying for a 1G connection and want to make the most of it. When Orbi works is is without doubt much faster but it's now turned into IF it works.

Last question.... do you think you will go back to AMplify or something else OR stick with the orbi?

Message 201 of 571
maxsc
Guide

I think I am going to stick with it until after Christmas, if nothing changes will go back to Amplify (will have to get a new one, as I sold the one I used before beliving Orbi will work as a permanent replacement. Hopefully Amplify will have an updated option soon.

I have tried Eero, Amplify, Google Wi-fi and now Orbi. Amplify worked best by far. It just worked: no restarts, no connection dropping, no slow downloads... It also has an iOS app, that is lightyears ahead of Orbi app 😀
Message 202 of 571
diggle
Apprentice

I tried the 20/40 tickbox unchecking. It gave me hope for a day until visitors arrived....once again...connect to Orbi Wifi....app and web says everything ok....but NO internet connection, despite their phone sitting next to mine which does have internet.

i have configured all our devices manually with respect to router IP and...well...anything else I can fix.....and seems to work so far. Again....I shouldn’t have to do this. I also have to renew lease on MacBook Pro every time it’s on.

ive studied the Orbi manual and seen the troubleshooting guide...inability to automatically retrieve settings, DCHP, etc etc. My ISP is NOT the Problem, and everything had operated perfectly for over 6 months...then suddenly not.

The symptoms have been well described, and consistent over a wide range of users. Surely diagnosing this problem is not THAT difficult...and treatment should be simple. I think if Netgear were medical practitioners there would be bodies everywhere...(humour)

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 203 of 571
MrX911
Apprentice

I’ve had 48 hours without a single dropped connection!
How?
I bought an Amplify HD.
Message 204 of 571
Surfer44
Star

I've been a Netgear user for ten years. I've never had problems like this before. I'm returning this piece of junk to Wal-mart. The only way this got a excellent rating is by paying off reviewers. IMO Their CS is a joke. 36 minutes on the phone and told me to go back to their original configuration, that they tried, and if that didn't work call back and they'll try something else. I have the newest firmware. Goodbye Netgear!

Message 205 of 571
siddavis
Initiate

I’ve been messing with mine all day today. Finally plugged my old router back in and I’m back to rock solid. This piece of junk is going back in the box and to the store. I can’t believe these get good reviews. It should be taken off the market!
Message 206 of 571
maxsc
Guide

That’s it. I am back on Amplifi HD. Everything works as it should be. Shame on Netgear.
Message 207 of 571
diggle
Apprentice

Ok...I have now tried every manoeuvre described in these forums and as recommended by Netgear support....(I did try uncheckin 24/40 box again) and problems still remain. It seems Netgear manual seems to blame ISP ....or anything else if there is a problem. The fact remains, that the Orbi system worked perfectly for 7 months and now doesn’t.

We will be connecting to NBN (National Broadband Network) in January....no choice...so it might be a good time to return Orbi and start afresh.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 208 of 571
MrX911
Apprentice

@maxsc wrote:
That’s it. I am back on Amplifi HD. Everything works as it should be. Shame on Netgear.

Finally got an email from Netgear (after 3 days) asking me to arrange a call with them this week.

Just told them I purchased an Amplify HD so don't need their support or product anymore.

3 days connected no dropouts. All is calm again with the family 🙂

Message 209 of 571
ajdscc
Aspirant

After a couple of months without problems, now with the latest firmware V2.1.1.16, even placing the satellite 1m from the router, after pulsing white for a while moves to solid magenta. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 210 of 571
mm06905
Guide

Just seen this yesterday. May be of interest.

Capture+_2017-12-25-18-02-27.png

Message 211 of 571
tagteam
Virtuoso

ajdscc wrote:

After a couple of months without problems, now with the latest firmware V2.1.1.16, even placing the satellite 1m from the router, after pulsing white for a while moves to solid magenta.

Have you tried pressing the sync button on the router and then the satellite?

Message 212 of 571
drshko
Guide

Bought this over other models because of the rave reviews and the availability of multiple ethernet / USB ports. 

Everything was working beautifully for 6 lovely months until it didn't. Frequent disconnections during the day leading to poor signals throughout the house and disgruntled family members (and a very unhappy wife due to the high cost of the units)

Moving the satellite around, setting the units to AP mode, firmware upgrades, multiple changes to settings have not helped.

Finally bit the straw and bought the Velops (1/2 price now) and all is well again. 

Not happy

Message 213 of 571

Having the same problem as others - connection dropping every few minutes. It’s a complete mess... RBR50 + 2xRBS50; Charter/Spectrum with Arris SBRS6190 (modem). All Orbi devices running 2.1.1.16 firmware.

I’ve tried everything too - reset button, factory reset, manual firmware installs, changed settings, ran just the router, tried various satellite combos, checked line quality, spectrum tech to confirm it’s not a service issue, etc.

Given the number of posts on this topic, totally unacceptable from Netgear. I have almost $600 in a system that doesn’t last a year. Worked fine about two firmware updates ago.

Consumers should be warned that this is happening and not being adequately addressed. Issue is NOT solved...

Darren - I have already sent you a PM.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 214 of 571
Surfer44
Star

Where did you buy it 1/2 price. I want to return of my piece of junk. I've tried everything and have the same problem. It should never have been released for sale.

Message 215 of 571
drshko
Guide

Message 216 of 571

Thanks... I looked at Velop and it’s almost $500 US for the tri-pack. Really need Netgear to fix this Orbi issue or replace with a set that works. In the interim, I’m going to try google Wifi. Won’t have the same performance, but much cheaper. Still irritating that I’m out another $300 because of a Netgear fowl up.
Message 217 of 571

Thanks... I looked at Velop and it’s almost $500 US for the tri-pack. Really need Netgear to fix this Orbi issue or replace with a set that works. In the interim, I’m going to try google Wifi. Won’t have the same performance, but much cheaper. Still irritating that I’m out another $300 because of a Netgear fowl up.
Message 218 of 571
maxsc
Guide

I am back to Amplifi HD - could not be happier. Returned my 3 weeks old Orbi to the shop and left a few negative reviews online. I don’t know what went wrong (buggy software or hardware issue) and don’t really care, really disappointed with Netgear. Not buying their hardware for home nor company any time soon.
Message 219 of 571

Bought mine at Fry’s in US (INDIANAPOLIS). Didn’t get half price. Think you’re hosed if out of the 90-day window.
Message 220 of 571
mm06905
Guide

There seems to be an issues with Android 8.0 I started seeing the issue when my son came over for a couple days. When he left things did clear up so I started looking at guest connection. Things woked good for a while then started seeing the drops again. I did upgrade my wifes phone to android 8.0 issuse started again. I did not see this as the issue until I seen the artical about Android 8.0 and mesh networks having issues. Just a thought. I will try turning of wifes phone, When she is sleeping and see if there is any truth to it.

Message 221 of 571
Surfer44
Star

I'm inside the 90 days. I've been procrastinating taking it back because I really thought Netgear would fix it. I've had Netgear for over ten years and NEVER had problems. Their firmware AND CS are the worst I've ever encountered.

Message 222 of 571

Good move... they clearly don’t care that this is affecting people’s work/daily lives.

As an aside... glad to know that I’m leveling up and receiving badges while my $500 WiFi system is shot. Maybe Netgear should spend less time on gamifying their community chat platform and more time quality testing their firmware releases. ...just a thought.
Message 223 of 571
drshko
Guide

Is there a public site on the net where we can post reviews / complaints ?

Obviously only (frustrated) Netgear Orbi owners are reading this

Message 224 of 571

Just for clarity, the 90 days is the warranty window. If you can still return to the retailer, I’d do it ASAP. When I first bought it, it was unbelievable, and the dedicated backhaul made it equally fast irrespective of location. You don’t have the performance drops on second and third nodes the way you do with competing WiFi systems. But then, sure enough... here come the connection issues. Now it’s down to 3-5minutes max before a drop, and I don’t even have the satellites connected at this point (instant drops). Sure feels like a problem with IP assignments / conflicts, but I can’t pin it down. This doesn’t even factor in the hours of troubleshooting or frustration in trying to squeeze something out of such an unstable connection.

Bottom line, you can always try again later if you want, but I would get my money back and preserve the option. ...just an opinion.
Message 225 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7