Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Orbi just flat out is crap.  Not sure what the issues are you are referring to.  I have $1,200 Worth in my closet that I can’t get a refund in.  NETGEAR has never reached out to me to help me with anything.  Unbelievable that they just released new items at CES....crap.

Message 276 of 571
Surfer44
Star

Why is there 12 pages of complaints and no one from Netgear answering them.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 277 of 571

AMEN!!  I just want a phone call from Netgear and a refund or a credit.  I dropped another $1,500 on an X10 Nighthawk and 3 Netgear Wireless Access Points Nighthawk X6S that cost me another $900.  So....I stuck with Netgear even though several other companies had just as capable network solutions. So wtf with no response on the $1,300 I dropped on the Orbis that are sitting in my closet in a box?  

Netgear I have been a customer for the past 20 years, but Ubiquiti has some pretty damn good options to choose from.  

I am am here waiting!

Message 278 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

There's lots of hate in this thread as of late.  I've had a few hiccups here and there, but as of this last weekend, the latest firmware fixed those issues.  I hope you guys get your stuff worked out.  Seems to me there's a bad batch of hardware floating around.  It could just be me, but it seems the trend to that is Costco.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 279 of 571
Mark411
Initiate

Same issue of dropping signal here. Very frustrating.
Message 280 of 571
Theplumber
Star

24 days and the complaining hasn’t stopped. Finally I took the netgear trash back to bestbuy. Any suggestions on what might work and without the b.s. 24/7 90 day free support which means figure it out yourself. I had it hooked up and the symptoms were some devices worked and others didn’t or didn’t work well. Tonight this thing stopped working altogether. Put the old router back on line, cost =0. 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 281 of 571
Theplumber
Star

Get a shovel and bury that thing it’s junk

Message 282 of 571
Theplumber
Star

I got 24 days of nothing but disappointment then I took it back. 

Message 283 of 571
Theplumber
Star

YES! Get your money or store credit, that’s what I did. This thing was trouble from day 1. Total junk.

Message 284 of 571
Theplumber
Star

Bought mine at Bestbuy at Wyomissing Pa. I believe it’s a problem across the board.

Message 285 of 571
SBell
Guide

I'll add my voice to the list of people having issues. I've had the ORBI set up for 6 weeks and it has been nothing but problems and constant troubleshooting. I have 2 satellites and they constantly drop connection, I have streaming drops constantly on iPads and Apple TV, VOIP drops, and some devices I have that require 2.4GHz won't connect at all (even after separating the 2.4 and 5G ssid's.)

If I could return the ORBI and get my money back I would, but I'm past return period and could only return it for a repair or replacement. I've sunk $800 into this product that's not ready for prime time and just don't want to waste anymore of my time with the thing. This product is so faulty that Netgear should really just accept returns and give people their money back.

Message 286 of 571
ajdscc
Aspirant

Hi,

Don't know if this solves the issue for most or if the cause of the problem, but after noticing that the password was being displayed truncated due to special characters, decided just to use an plain alphanumeric code. Since then my satellite stopped loosing connection with the host, and that has been for the past 30 days. This worked on the previous version of firmware and currently I've upgraded to 2.1.2.18 without problems.

Message 287 of 571
diggle
Apprentice

Just so everyone knows....this is not just a USA problem....I bought mine in Australia and the exact same issues have been occurring. Anyone staying with us needs their device to be manually setup to connect to the internet via the Orbi network. After setting up over ten devices now, I have this down pat. It helps that they have all been Apple devices...I think I might struggle with Windows as I haven’t used it for many years. I have until April to return them...so I might wait until NBN is connected (National Broadband Network) to make a final judgement. But as I have said before...learning and implementing manual setup on various devices SHOULDNT BE NECESSARY. 

Message 288 of 571
Quickscan
Guide

I have also have 1.12.0.18 installed and facing dropped connections every few minutes - even sitting right by the router. Satellites are hooked up , in range (blue on set up) and when its working speeds are great across the house. I agree with other users who suggest that there is something wrong with the way the sats are communicating with the router causing the system to fall over. Its not usuable at the moment. Got a range of devices hooked up, iphones running latest iOS, Apple TV, hp PC, iPad, iMac.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 289 of 571
rli
Initiate
Initiate

When I bought the RBK53 from Costco I had firmware version 2.1.1.12 and the system worked good for about 90 days. Then the Wi-Fi began to drop about every other day. I had to unplug the router and wait a few then plug it back in and the system returned. Since then I have upgraded the firmware with each version since (currently on firmware version 2.1.2.18.. The problem remains. I wonder if Costco will take it back after this long?

Message 290 of 571
drshko
Guide

Been over a month since I switched from the orbi to the velops (with a cheap switch attached to the 2nd unit). All still functioning well
Can't return my orbi and am wondering as well why netgear isn't doing anything to rectify our problems / complaints
Message 291 of 571
worldofshayan
Apprentice

I got rid of the ORBI and bough the Zyxel Multy X Wifi-Mesh. 50000% better than the orbi or any other Wifi Mesh out there. Takes seconds to setup. Never reset it in 2 weeks. Full throughput speeds. Simple App. Excellent functionality! 

https://www.zyxel.com/in/en/products_services/AC3000-Tri-Band-WiFi-System-Multy-X/explore-multy

Message 292 of 571
RSRA
Star

I purchased two Orbi systems and had countless problems. Thankfully, I was able to return them to Amazon without penalty. The Zyxel Multy X that replaced Netgear’s offering has worked like a dream since last December - 30+ devices connected and it hasn’t missed a beat. Functionality is limited in the present firmware release, but at least it works as it should, unlike the two Orbis I had the misfortune to own.
Message 293 of 571
worldofshayan
Apprentice

These were my suggestions for improvements on the Multy X to make it the Alpha Wireless Mesh system:

https://homeforum.zyxel.com/discussion/742/multy-x-improvement-suggestions-for-max-performance-and-u...

Have a look.

Message 294 of 571
PaTex
Aspirant

Costco is fantastic! They will take back anything within one year of purchase.

Message 295 of 571
MovieColony
Tutor

About once a day there is an outage between the Orbi system and connected devices, particularly noticeable with iPhone 7.
This has gone on for months.
It appears that the devices are connected to the SSID for the Orbi, and there are no error messages, and no indication of any issue.
However, when trying to use any web service there is no response at all.

Reboot the individual device -- no change.
Drop the SSID and add it back -- no change.
Resync the tower and satellites -- sometimes works, mostly not.
Reboot the tower and satellites -- back online.

• Latest firmware is loaded on the Orbi devices. (2.1.2.18)
  • The channel being used is unique from other SSID's in the area.
  • Replaced the ethernet cable connecting Orbi to the Ubee modem (Spectrum / Time Warner cable -- 300mbs service)
  • The Ubee modem has updated firmware.

I am at loss now for "next steps" to troubleshoot further.

Message 296 of 571
Jvreeman
Star

I have been experiencing the same thing, as satellites drop their connection frequently as well as the router just nose diving at a minimum of once per day. 

Modem upgraded to Netgear CM1000 DOCsis 3.1 in hopes to provide compatibility.

All ORBIs running latest firmware

If I restart the Router (RBR50) the system will be fine for a while, but eventually will eventually crap out again.  Extremely frustrating as I purchased this system to provide consistent coverage through the house, and it is worse than it was before.

Attaching WiFi explorer graph of the drops.  Every single signal (2.4 and 5 GHz) on the router and 3 satelites has dropped in the last 30 minutes.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 297 of 571
NoWiFi4U
Star

I have been dealing with resets for almost a year now. Worst product I have ever bought. They say you get what you pay for.... What a Lie!  Spent $500 on the router and 2 satellites. I could understand if they were "actively" working to fix these NUMEROUS issues, be actively responding to issues.

So, so very frustrating. Beyond words at this point. 

Message 298 of 571
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear doesn't care, they have our money

Message 299 of 571
MovieColony
Tutor

I'm done with Netgear -- last straw today.
Products don't work right and can't get support and they don't seem to care.

Message 300 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7