Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Mark411
Initiate

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Threw my Orbi system right in the garbage!! Purchased Velop system. Rock solid!! Super Fast!!
Message 301 of 571
mm06905
Guide

I have the RBK50, 2x RBS50, and 1x RBW30. I have beenhaving drops for a long time. Netgear replaced my RBW30. This did not fix anything as they thought it was the issue. I keep the Google phones off of wifi  and still have the issue. I have been leaveving comments on all ORBI base advertimenst on facebook tell of this issue and to read the community blogs. I keep seeing great reviews for this product showing the reviews are not real life scenarios. If we are going to get results we need to start telling our story to press tech companies. Go to the purchase place and leave negitive reviews. Come on people, we have our voices to be heard.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 302 of 571
wase4711
Luminary

I've posted this before and will do it again; if you can return your Orbi, or sell it on Ebay, do it,and switch to the Orbi Pro; almost a month now, and zero issues of any sort...

Message 303 of 571
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear should offer to trade us up to the Orbi Pro, even if there is a small fee (very small for our troubles)! 

but can we trust them to not eventually screw that up too?

Message 304 of 571
Surfer44
Star

Netgear IS NOT going to do anything. This problem has been going on for a LONG time. A class action suit would be the only thing to get their attention.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 305 of 571
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Zyxel Multy X is the way to go! No problems at all since setup. Totally seamless and way faster than Orbi which I sold off.

https://www.zyxel.com/in/en/products_services/AC3000-Tri-Band-WiFi-System-Multy-X/explore-multy

Cheers.

Message 306 of 571
ztevie
Guide

Is the Pro version any different software-wise, or is it merely so few units sold that problems really haven't surfaced in the same way?
Message 307 of 571
wase4711
Luminary

netgear has told me they never used any untested beta type firmware additions on the pro software/firmware, so that might be why its a trouble free experience at this point..

Message 308 of 571
wase4711
Luminary

a judge would throw out a Class Action suit in a heartbeat; because of the varying degrees of experience that users of this product has, plug the unlimited amount of configurations that are out there that people use, it would be impossible to prove that netgear DELIBERATELY and MALICIOUSLY made this product defective...

and, I tend to agree, since there are literally 1000's of configuations and uses for this system out there, and, considering they have probably sold at lelast 100-200 thousand, or more of these systems, the 100 or so people that are posting about endless issues, probably dont represent the vast majority of people who bought these things..

it gets down to this; if  you hate it, and can return it for credit, then do it; if you are past the return period, then sell it on Ebay/Craigs List, and buy something else and move on with your life..

Message 309 of 571
webminster
Luminary

They don't document using in a bridge or AP mode, however.   Not sure if that's supported.

wrote:
Zyxel Multy X is the way to go! No problems at all since setup. Totally seamless and way faster than Orbi which I sold off.

Message 310 of 571
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wrote:

They don't document using in a bridge or AP mode, however.   Not sure if that's supported.

wrote:

Not in the user manual, since bridge mode was added late. But it is there now.

Message 311 of 571
mich1973
Tutor

As an update, it's interesting to see that Netgear now shows firmware V2.0.1.4 as the current firmware and all of V2.1.* is flagged as previous. So, I just downgraded for my RBR50 and RBS50 and it did solve the problem of the disconnecting satellite for me.

Have a look .. You don't need to throw your Orbi away ..

Michael

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 312 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

@mich1973wrote:

As an update, it's interesting to see that Netgear now shows firmware V2.0.1.4 as the current firmware and all of V2.1.* is flagged as previous. So, I just downgraded for my RBR50 and RBS50 and it did solve the problem of the disconnecting satellite for me.

Have a look .. You don't need to throw your Orbi away ..

Michael

Yeah, that is pretty interesting.  An article on their page claims that it fixes a memory leak.  Article here.  There's nothing there that says it was a rollback or any other details at all.

I've been having some issues lately.  The previous (2.1.2.18) worked fine for me for about a week or so.  No issues at all.  Then I started getting drops on my Android phone.  Then my laptop would start having drops.  Also, general slowness across the network.  I did a reboot on the router, but that didn't seem to fix anything.  If the memory leak thing is true, it definitely makes sense.  Hope they get it resolved in a new firmware update. 

I hate that they push things to market and test on consumers.  They do the same thing with games and a multitude of other things.  It's easy these days because they can always push out an update.  The speed to market has to be quick or else you'll be last to market.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 313 of 571
Jvreeman
Star

Thank you for responding to the thread with this!  I just downgraded the firmware to the new old V2.0.0.53 firmware for the RBR40 and RBS40 units.  

Have Wifi Explorer running and will be monitoring the connections.  Fingers crossed this resolves the issue.

Thank you, again!

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 314 of 571
Quickscan
Guide

Hi, how are you ‘downgrading’ the firmware. I can’t see an option to do this.

Thanks

Dan
Message 315 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@Quickscan wrote:
Hi, how are you ‘downgrading’ the firmware. I can’t see an option to do this.

Thanks

Dan

Download the firmware to a PC from the NETGEAR website then manually upload it to the Orbi.

Message 316 of 571
Quickscan
Guide

Thanks alot. Done it. Fingers crossed. I am pretty close to getting rid of them.

Message 317 of 571
Jvreeman
Star

I am still seeing a small number of drop outs in the 2.4GHz band (about 1 or 2 an hour) - but certainly nothing like I was seeing before.  Happens to router as well as the satellites - just every once in a while they decide to upchuck for a second or so.  In the attached pic the red dropout is a satellite and the pink dropouts are the router.

Still convinced that the drop outs are are happening due to a communication failure between the router and the satellite.  

Keeping an eye on this - if I cannot get this resolved, I will have to take the system back (I still have 10 days) - but I really would like it to work.  Netgear has been responsive - and they are trying to find a solution with/for me.

Message 318 of 571
wase4711
Luminary

If you are still inside the return period, you might want to return them and get the Orib Pro; I did that about 5 weeks, ago, and havent had a single drop since..

Message 319 of 571
Theplumber
Star

This isn’t how it works. Let’s say you buy a new car, then you work on putting new fuel injectors in, then a new intake and air box, does it run good now? This is garbage that’s all it is. 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 320 of 571

Dan - Download the version you want from Netgear’s website; log into the firmware on the router, go to advanced settings and then manually update. Start with satellites and then do the router. Hope this solves it for you.
Message 321 of 571
Jvreeman
Star

I am keeping that in mind as a possibility.  Have to say, though, that it would be a bit hard to trust Netgear with this type of solution again (especially for more money) and I would probably lean towards another brand that has been recommended on the forum.  

But rooting for Netgear to get this resolved for everyone.  Especially with now 6 router drops in the same hour (4 in the 2.4GHz and 2 in the 5GHz)wifiexplorer_20180217_142805.png

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 322 of 571
Theplumber
Star

Interested in how it works in a month, 2 months.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 323 of 571
wase4711
Luminary

I tried almost every  other brand out there, EERO, VELOP, UBIQUITI, and even though some of them worked better than the Orbi, none of them had the speed of the Orbi..

Thats why I decided to go Orbi PRO, and, so far so good. netgear claims they use different firmware on the PRO versus the HOME Orbi, so that might be why.

Message 324 of 571
Jvreeman
Star

Thanks wase!

Message 325 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7