Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Agenor11
Aspirant

Orbi satellite dropping connection

Hello 

I got the 2 pk ORBI, router RBR50 with RBS50 both with firmware v2.0.0.74 from and I got this equipment by mid of this year 2017 so I got 6 months with it.

Since day 1 I got problems with connection dropping but I was wondering that the modem from service provider is giving me problems, last week they change to modem for a new one and my internet increase from 10mb to 30mb.

Having said that the problem persist still the signal is dropping, router is on the 2nd floor and the satelitte is on 1st floor usually I see the dropping on the 1st floor and the satellite is changing colors

What could be causing this problem ? I already move the satelitte to various positions on the first floor looking for better connectivity without luck

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried the latest 2.1 firmware?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 25
Agenor11
Aspirant

Hi 

When I tried to update it seem that there is NO more update available more than the version: V2.0.0.74

Does there is any v.2.1 ? do I need to force the upgrade ?

Message 3 of 25
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

I'm on v2.1.1.16 and 2-3 times a month I have to reboot the satellite because WiFi gets sketchy and all the devices connected to the remote lose connectivity. 100% of the time it's fixed by power cycling the satellite. If there was an auto-reboot feature, I would set it for every morning at 5am.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello agenor11

Yes you have to manual update to 2.1 right now on the support page.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

DarrenM

Message 5 of 25
Greystorm64
Apprentice

I will be surprised if it solves the issue.

I have the same issue, and I have tried .16 and .12 and .74... 

Same issue.  THere is a lot of funky stuff happening with the satelites.

I have a device plugged into the back of the RBS50, and it wont show up on the device list.  it shows up on the RBR50 Device list.  But its plugged into the RBS50.

Also, I litteraly rebooted my entire network today.  Took every system, phone, portable, etc. anything that attaches to the wifi and shut them off. 

I then rebooted both RBR & RBS.  After they were up, I then started turning devices on.  The first 3 devices I turned on showed up briefing in the device list of the RBS, for about 30 minutes.  Then they dropped out of the list on the RBS and moved to the RBR Device List (they do list that they are connected to the satalite though in the last column

The 25 devices after that all connected to the router.  Regardless of where they were placed.  Even devices RIGHT next to the RBS connected to the RBR.

So, I have 2 defivices officially connected to the RBS (according to the RBR device list) and all the rest connected to the RBR.  and over half those devices are closer to the RBS than the RBR by a considerable amount.

Message 6 of 25
db1218
Aspirant

Have run into the same exact problem.  Following a hard boot of the system, devices remain connected for approximately 30 minutes.  Wired connections seem to drop connection also. Backhaul continues to show good.

Message 7 of 25
j1knows
Aspirant

My Orbi was working perfectly until mid December '16. All of a sudden it started drops the wifi signal every few minutes. I forced upgraded the firmware to 2.1.1.16 to no avail. I finally used a dedicated channel on 11 for 2.4 GHz which helped but it still drops at least once an hour. Not sure what to do. It was working perfectly for months.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 25
Greystorm64
Apprentice

I have been researching the "channel" issue and with the WiFi signal scanner I have, I found several neighbors networks showing up (however lightly) that were running the same channes as I am on both 2.4 and 5 GHZ.  I also ready where there are some channells overlap heavily, so they don't have to be the same exact channel but still stomp on each other.

I have considered changing my channels, right now 2.4 is on channel 4 and 5 GHZ is on channell 48 (Everyones 4GHZ is on channel 48.  But, what would I change it to? that wouldn't conflict with other networks at my neighbors or overlap their channells?

I really don't feel like injecting more issues by changing them.  But I still get minor buffering when I am watching on a smartTV/Firestick shows that are recorded on a DishNetwork DVR.  The DIsh is hardwired, the firestick is on 5ghz.   I have a 150/150mb FiOS internet connection and an Orbi Router and 2 satallites and they all seem to be working.  I walked theought the entire house mapping out WiFi signal, and it never really went over -40... I have very strong signal througout the house.  I should NOT be getting an buffering, even if its just a second. (and thats all it is). 

No idea what to try next!

Message 9 of 25
tkshaffer
Guide

I am in no way saying it is related but my fire stick has had constant buffering the past week or so after my orbi firmware upgrade. Have not noticed the same issue with my roku. I do have gamers on Xbox so I almost think it is a prioritization issue even though I have qos off. Trying to pinpoint what is happening when it stutters and if I figure anything out I will certainly share. May not be at all related to your issue...it just feels like my orbi has handled its allocation of bandwidth much differently than previous firmwares.
Message 10 of 25
Greystorm64
Apprentice

tkshaffer

Thank you very much.  I like the say you describted it... "stutters".  My issue is I just changed so much at once... cut the cord, installed Orbi, dumped my old router, installed Firesticks & Alexa's and a security system all about the same time.

So, trying to figure out what could be the cause is proving interesting.  And frustrating... 

But, I will keep pushing forward and I appreciate your offer to let me know what you learn and I will do the same in return.

Thanks again.

Message 11 of 25
Brent1982
Guide

Yep....this is my second round with Orbi. I had it all set up about a year ago and started having issues with certain devices disconnecting only to have to reboot the router and modem. Returned and got the Linksys Velop. Hated it and reluctantly went back to Orbi after about 3 months. Here we are again and my phone which never had an issue is one of the devices that gets deprioritized ona nightly basis. I have several smart devices including 20+ smart bulbs and cameras outside. Funny thing is all the bulbs and cameras stopped working but the front porch. I found out by putting my phone on cellular and logging into my Nest account and saw that there was one on. How does that work Netgear? All the wired devices worked fine but it bricked all my wireless devices. Is it engineered failure so that we have to pay for that goofy customer support plan? Cmon guys get your stuff together and fix your products.
Message 12 of 25
richvohra
Aspirant

Just shocked that Netgear hasn't gone on these forums and commented.

I called customer support a few months ago and we did a reset and renamed the system and it worked for a little bit and we are back to getting lost connection again daily.  You would think that they would have figured this out by now since it's a few months.  I have invested into at least three satellites on it's very frustrating.

Come on Netgear please help out 

Message 13 of 25
Brent1982
Guide

Yep. I reccomend returning it if you have that option before it’s too late. Otherwise your stuck with it praying that the next update fixes it. So far that track record isn’t to hot!
Message 14 of 25
Brent1982
Guide

Update:

So I have ipgraded to the Eero system. One router and two beacons oddly enough seems to be equivalent coverage and just as incredible speed for their size. Added an additional router for overkill so that I’m the future as my device count grows I can run a backhaul line from the second router.
Message 15 of 25
yoJackjack
Aspirant

How is the Eero system working out?

Message 16 of 25
Brent1982
Guide

Man I love their system. I haven’t had anything get kicked from the network. Their so is so much easier to use. I know that you can do it with the Netgear app but setting up profiles for family members so that you can shut off their devices is so much simpler. The whole experience has been pretty darn good. I have two routers and two beacons and the coverage is I bit better than the Orbi in my testing so far.
Message 17 of 25
yoJackjack
Aspirant

I have a couple wifi printers and 3 wifi speakers. I read on amazon that Eero depends on internet so if your internet goes out everything gets kicked off. (because it doesn't have an internal network) 

Is that true?

Message 18 of 25
Brent1982
Guide

Hmmmm interesting! I never looked into that! Just did some searching in their forum and you would be correct. The only current workaround is to not reboot the main EERO. They seem to be saying that once you do so you will loose you LAN ability. Seems goofy. I’m hopeful that they will foxy that with an update though. One of the reasons that pushed me into their system is because they listed all their updates by date and it seems like there is something that they are fixing/improving and or adding to them about every month.
Message 19 of 25
Brent1982
Guide

Sweet! Go for it! I had the Velop at one point. It wasn’t too bad. Just had issues with range on my end. That’s when I went back to Orbi......dumb mistake! You are defiantly more of a power user than myself so I’m sure you’ll be fine with their system!
Message 20 of 25
yoJackjack
Aspirant

@Brent1982wrote:
Sweet! Go for it! I had the Velop at one point. It wasn’t too bad. Just had issues with range on my end. That’s when I went back to Orbi......dumb mistake! You are defiantly more of a power user than myself so I’m sure you’ll be fine with their system!

at what range were you having issues with Velop?

I am still not too sure if I should pull the trigger but Orbi still occasionally disconnect here and there. I cound about 5 times today.

Message 21 of 25
Brent1982
Guide

I’d say outside of 20’-30’ there was notisable drop off of the signal. I was faced with purchasing another satilite/node whatever they are called so that I could get the coverage I needed to get all my exterior cameras. One of the closer ones being roughly 40’ was surprisingly more troublesome.

Which is why I went overboard on the Eeros with the extra router which I have placed at the other end of the house. I probably don’t need it. But as I’m sure like you it gets exhausting spending this kind of money and not seeing results. Best bet is to buy it from BestBuy and purchase their Geek Squad extended warranty. If you have range or any other issues within the warranty period they will literally replace it or give you a refund with no questions other than why are you returning it. When I took my second set of Orbis back all I said was that they where kicking things off of the network and that was it. Every penny I spent I was able to use toward the Eero. They even refunded the extended warranty because the Orbis where still under the manufacturer warranty.
Message 22 of 25
ConchaBullosa
Aspirant

I've got the Orbi AC3000, RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites.  It's continually dropping my internet connection, sometimes several times per hour.  I'm running firmware 2.1.2.18.  The Orbi router is connected to my comcast voice modem running  in bridge mode.  It seems like the solution everyone suggests involves returning the Orbi and getting something else.  When it works I'm happy, but not when I'm in the middle of doing something semi-important and I lose my connection.  Any thoughts other than return the thing?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 23 of 25
yoJackjack
Aspirant

@Brent1982wrote:
I’d say outside of 20’-30’ there was notisable drop off of the signal. I was faced with purchasing another satilite/node whatever they are called so that I could get the coverage I needed to get all my exterior cameras. One of the closer ones being roughly 40’ was surprisingly more troublesome.

Which is why I went overboard on the Eeros with the extra router which I have placed at the other end of the house. I probably don’t need it. But as I’m sure like you it gets exhausting spending this kind of money and not seeing results. Best bet is to buy it from BestBuy and purchase their Geek Squad extended warranty. If you have range or any other issues within the warranty period they will literally replace it or give you a refund with no questions other than why are you returning it. When I took my second set of Orbis back all I said was that they where kicking things off of the network and that was it. Every penny I spent I was able to use toward the Eero. They even refunded the extended warranty because the Orbis where still under the manufacturer warranty.

Thank you for sharing you tips! I might just do that with bestbuy! I actually bought Google wifi with BestBuy and glad I did coz I was able to return it as well. Other ones were purchased from Amazon... and I had to resell them back to Amazon after return period for fraction of the original price. 

I am going to do some more testing on my Orbi and read more into it maybe I'll end up trying Eero out.

Message 24 of 25
yoJackjack
Aspirant

@ConchaBullosawrote:

I've got the Orbi AC3000, RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites.  It's continually dropping my internet connection, sometimes several times per hour.  I'm running firmware 2.1.2.18.  The Orbi router is connected to my comcast voice modem running  in bridge mode.  It seems like the solution everyone suggests involves returning the Orbi and getting something else.  When it works I'm happy, but not when I'm in the middle of doing something semi-important and I lose my connection.  Any thoughts other than return the thing?

I am on the same page, when it works it's super awsome.

I've not personally tried Bridge Mode. Any idea what it does? based on your experience it doesn't seem to mitigate the issue.

Before I jump to another wifi system, I am gonna give Orbi another chance and do some more testing and observation. 

My primary wifi devices are laptop, phone, two printers, and wifi speakers. Something I noticed is that the wifi speakers and printers go offline a lot more often. I rarely have issues with my laptop and phone. After looking into it, I've found that my wifi speakers and printers are only capable of connecting to the 2.4ghz frequency. My laptop & phone are fairly new so they are always on the 5ghz. I am suspecting a few reason this is happening.

1. My laptop has more direct line of sight from the router
  2. My 5ghz frequency is less occupied over another in the air here so that I am getting less congestions
  3. There is something wrong with Orbi's 2.4ghz output

Whatever the case is, I am trying out the following to see if there is any improvement for my wifi in the next few weeks:

1. I've placed my satelite in a location that is more direct line of sight of the main router with a few obstacals and walls as possible.
  2. I am plugging in one of my wifi speakers into the satelite in an attempt to reduce the amount of devices that rely on connecting to the 2.4 ghz frequency.
  3. I might purchase a new printer that has an eithernet port and plug it into the satelite and get it off the 2.4ghz frequency. 

I'll share my experiments in the next few days.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7