Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

ctaschuk
Tutor

I’ve had the same problem myself.  My main Orbi that is connected to my router works fine and gives a reliable wireless signal. The satellite works fine sometimes for a few days and then for weeks on end it keeps on getting slower (almost no bandwidth) when I device gets near the satellite. The only way I’ve had to resolve it is to unplug and keep unplugged my satellite, which defeats the whole purpose of having a mesh system.  When I unplug the satellite, the device immediately connects to the main Orbi and starts getting fast again. I’ve had this problem  from the start and I phoned your support and was unsuccessfully ‘helped’ and then I was told that I ran out of support even though the product never worked reliably so for the last year or so I have just been dealing with it.  I’m ready to buy a different brand.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 376 of 571
Mogg
Tutor

It went back.  Tried the TP link deco instead - which worked great straight out of the box.  

Message 377 of 571
ctaschuk
Tutor

Yep, I just switched to Google WiFi.  Works like an absolute dream right out of the box.

Message 378 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584#M26234

@ctaschukwrote:

I’ve had the same problem myself.  My main Orbi that is connected to my router works fine and gives a reliable wireless signal. The satellite works fine sometimes for a few days and then for weeks on end it keeps on getting slower (almost no bandwidth) when I device gets near the satellite. The only way I’ve had to resolve it is to unplug and keep unplugged my satellite, which defeats the whole purpose of having a mesh system.  When I unplug the satellite, the device immediately connects to the main Orbi and starts getting fast again. I’ve had this problem  from the start and I phoned your support and was unsuccessfully ‘helped’ and then I was told that I ran out of support even though the product never worked reliably so for the last year or so I have just been dealing with it.  I’m ready to buy a different brand.

Message 379 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

Good to know.  I'll download them and give them a whirl in a few days.

@FURRYe38wrote:

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 380 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

Message 381 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

I've had the beta FW (2.1.3.4) running for a few days now.  So far things have been fine.  Speed testing from my laptop has improved, although not the throughput I pay for (100mbps).  I do get a bit better of a speedtest via my phone.  I've noticed some split second drops of wifi from my phone, but it's very very quick before it reconnects.  Not sure what's going on there.  I haven't done a reset on anything after the FW update until this evening.  I did a reset on the RBS50.  I'm procrastinanting on doing the RBR50 because I don't want to set everything back up.  I'll deal with it at some point this week after the consumers have all gone to bed.

I also still have the RBR50 and RBS50 on timers.  After I reset the RBR50 this week, I'll take them off the timers and really test the performance over the course of a few days to see if things are improved.  At this point, I'm skeptical optimist.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 382 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Please do a factory reset,  I know it's pain, however the reset will clear out any bad configurations and seems to be needed as applying fw over an older version and not resetting seems to be still having problems with uses. I even found an issue with not doing a FW update. Was fixed after the reset.

@myriad_rockerwrote:

I've had the beta FW (2.1.3.4) running for a few days now.  So far things have been fine.  Speed testing from my laptop has improved, although not the throughput I pay for (100mbps).  I do get a bit better of a speedtest via my phone.  I've noticed some split second drops of wifi from my phone, but it's very very quick before it reconnects.  Not sure what's going on there.  I haven't done a reset on anything after the FW update until this evening.  I did a reset on the RBS50.  I'm procrastinanting on doing the RBR50 because I don't want to set everything back up.  I'll deal with it at some point this week after the consumers have all gone to bed.

I also still have the RBR50 and RBS50 on timers.  After I reset the RBR50 this week, I'll take them off the timers and really test the performance over the course of a few days to see if things are improved.  At this point, I'm skeptical optimist.

Message 383 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

I'll get there.  I said I would.  Simmer down now.  Smiley Very Happy

@FURRYe38wrote:

Please do a factory reset,  I know it's pain, however the reset will clear out any bad configurations and seems to be needed as applying fw over an older version and not resetting seems to be still having problems with uses. I even found an issue with not doing a FW update. Was fixed after the reset.

@myriad_rockerwrote:

Message 384 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't need timers on any router or extender device.

Keep us posted.

@myriad_rockerwrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

@myriad_rockerwrote:

Message 385 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

I agree...you shouldn't.  But on the previous FW, I had to.  Otherwise the drops and slowness were terrible.  Want answers?  Ask Netgear about their garbage.  It's always a good idea to have thearaputic restarts of routers.  Since this isn't a feature in the firmware, there's nothing wrong with a timer other than it's not FW controlled.

@FURRYe38wrote:

Shouldn't need timers on any router or extender device.

Keep us posted.

@myriad_rockerwrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

@myriad_rockerwrote:

Message 386 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Well mines been online for 3 days + with out any reboots since last update and re-config. May also depend on ISP modem and services as well and other environmental conditions could impact as well. Just saying.

Hope the new FW will exhibit something different.

Message 387 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

I'm glad that it's working well for you.  The jury is still out for me until I have the time in my hectic schedule to do the reconfig.  I own my modem and it's a DOCSIS 3.  My previous 2 routers have been just fine and I never had to worry about drops or slow speeds.  There's many documented cases of other users swapping out the Orbi for something else and all was well.

We'll see what this new FW brings, but for now, it's beta.  So I still say it's garbage until they are creating features and not just scrambling to fix memory leaks and the like.

@FURRYe38wrote:

Well mines been online for 3 days + with out any reboots since last update and re-config. May also depend on ISP modem and services as well and other environmental conditions could impact as well. Just saying.

Message 388 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck.

@myriad_rockerwrote:

I'm glad that it's working well for you.  The jury is still out for me until I have the time in my hectic schedule to do the reconfig.  I own my modem and it's a DOCSIS 3.  My previous 2 routers have been just fine and I never had to worry about drops or slow speeds.  There's many documented cases of other users swapping out the Orbi for something else and all was well.

We'll see what this new FW brings, but for now, it's beta.  So I still say it's garbage until they are creating features and not just scrambling to fix memory leaks and the like.

@FURRYe38wrote:

Message 389 of 571
WillBill
Tutor

Upgraded to FW 2.1.3.4 on the RBR50 and RBS50; downgraded the RBW30 to FW 2.0.1.2 per Netgear’s website. Disconnects are more frequent with the Harmony Hub and today it disconnected when My HP printer WiFi printed. Can’t take it much longer with disconnects multiple times per day. Talked with Crutchfield (in US) and they do not recommend the Netgear Orbi. It’s sad because when it’s operating the speeds are good everywhere on my property. I understand why the Harmony Hub will have trouble with mesh WiFi, but don’t understand the disconnect of the RBR50, then about 20 other devices take about 10 minutes to recovery after we discover the disconnect.
Message 390 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the 50 series system then set up from scratch after the FW update? 

Test wtih the following disable to see if anything changes:

Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and or Fast Roaming. 

Try setting a manual channel on 2.4Ghz to 1, 6 or 11. 

There any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi router is connected too? Any built in router here? 

@WillBillwrote:
Upgraded to FW 2.1.3.4 on the RBR50 and RBS50; downgraded the RBW30 to FW 2.0.1.2 per Netgear’s website. Disconnects are more frequent with the Harmony Hub and today it disconnected when My HP printer WiFi printed. Can’t take it much longer with disconnects multiple times per day. Talked with Crutchfield (in US) and they do not recommend the Netgear Orbi. It’s sad because when it’s operating the speeds are good everywhere on my property. I understand why the Harmony Hub will have trouble with mesh WiFi, but don’t understand the disconnect of the RBR50, then about 20 other devices take about 10 minutes to recovery after we discover the disconnect.

Message 391 of 571
Jvreeman
Star

Love my eero.
Message 392 of 571
WillBill
Tutor

Yes, always factory reset after the FW is updated.  

Neighbors’ wifi is weak, since we have large lots.

My modem is a Netgear CM1000.

I will try your other suggestions.

Thanks

Message 393 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. 

@WillBillwrote:

Yes, always factory reset after the FW is updated.  

Neighbors’ wifi is weak, since we have large lots.

My modem is a Netgear CM1000.

I will try your other suggestions.

Thanks

Message 394 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

Alright, so...here's my update.  As you may or may not know, I'm on the beta 2.1.3.4 firmware.  I updated the Orbi without doing a reset on anything for a few days.  I still had everything on timers to force power cycles on the previous firmware (because that's all that kept the drops and slow speeds at bay).  I left them on those timers for about 2 days or so and then had the chance to reset the RBS50.

In the scenario above, everything was just ok.  I still got some split second drops on my Samsung phone and speeds were just "acceptable".  I went for about 3 days in this config because I didn't have time to reset the RBR50 and doing the reconfig.

Fast forward to a few days ago and before I went to bed one night, I did the RBR50 reconfig and took everything OFF of the timers.  Just to get a good idea of how things were going to go, I enabled most things I had previously disabled before.  Guest network, Beam Forming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming.  So far things have been going alright.  Around the same time Netgear issued a fallback on the RBW30 firmware.  I haven't messed with that one at all.  But I only connect to it when I'm out in the shop and I haven't been out there in a month.

Now to the actual performance.  So far, everything is ok.  I have not witnessed any disconnects.  I've been periodically doing speed tests and it's hit or miss, but just ok.  My phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) has been speedtesting respectable.  Between 50mbps and 75mbps.  Today it's doing over 100mbps, which is nice to see.  I pay for 100mbps service, BTW.  For my laptop, it's not near as good.  It routinely gets between 15mbps and 45mbps.  It does what I need it to do, but it's still annoying to see that. 

So I started poking around in the settings and doing some research.  Granted, this is an older laptop.  Back when Windows 8 was new is when I bought it.  I thought I had recently updated the driver on it, but turns out I hadn't.  It was a driver from 2015.  I updated that and it loaded a driver from January of this year.  I did a restart and then checked cmd to see how it was connected.  I also read something about disabling IPv6 on this specific Intel NIC.  So I did that.  While I was at it, I set the a/b/g wireless mode to 5Ghz only.  After this, the laptop is getting about 75mbps.

I'm going to leave things alone for a few days and continue testing.  Eventually I'll get around to updating the RBW30, but I'm wondering if they've released an updated beta for that as well.

Message 395 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working much better.

No router needs timers if there set up well and the environment is good. I've never had to use any timers. I do keep a laptop cooler under my router to additional cooling is all.

Let it run and keep us posted. Enjoy.

@myriad_rocker wrote:

Alright, so...here's my update.  As you may or may not know, I'm on the beta 2.1.3.4 firmware.  I updated the Orbi without doing a reset on anything for a few days.  I still had everything on timers to force power cycles on the previous firmware (because that's all that kept the drops and slow speeds at bay).  I left them on those timers for about 2 days or so and then had the chance to reset the RBS50.

In the scenario above, everything was just ok.  I still got some split second drops on my Samsung phone and speeds were just "acceptable".  I went for about 3 days in this config because I didn't have time to reset the RBR50 and doing the reconfig.

Fast forward to a few days ago and before I went to bed one night, I did the RBR50 reconfig and took everything OFF of the timers.  Just to get a good idea of how things were going to go, I enabled most things I had previously disabled before.  Guest network, Beam Forming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming.  So far things have been going alright.  Around the same time Netgear issued a fallback on the RBW30 firmware.  I haven't messed with that one at all.  But I only connect to it when I'm out in the shop and I haven't been out there in a month.

Now to the actual performance.  So far, everything is ok.  I have not witnessed any disconnects.  I've been periodically doing speed tests and it's hit or miss, but just ok.  My phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) has been speedtesting respectable.  Between 50mbps and 75mbps.  Today it's doing over 100mbps, which is nice to see.  I pay for 100mbps service, BTW.  For my laptop, it's not near as good.  It routinely gets between 15mbps and 45mbps.  It does what I need it to do, but it's still annoying to see that. 

So I started poking around in the settings and doing some research.  Granted, this is an older laptop.  Back when Windows 8 was new is when I bought it.  I thought I had recently updated the driver on it, but turns out I hadn't.  It was a driver from 2015.  I updated that and it loaded a driver from January of this year.  I did a restart and then checked cmd to see how it was connected.  I also read something about disabling IPv6 on this specific Intel NIC.  So I did that.  While I was at it, I set the a/b/g wireless mode to 5Ghz only.  After this, the laptop is getting about 75mbps.

I'm going to leave things alone for a few days and continue testing.  Eventually I'll get around to updating the RBW30, but I'm wondering if they've released an updated beta for that as well.

Message 396 of 571
mbaker
Guide

I had exactly the same problem with my Orbi Satellites. They'd just randomly drop for 30-60sec and then reconnect. No error ever showed up in the logs.

I raised a ticket with Netgear and they advised me to force my firmware back to V2.0.1.4. That _mostly_ fixed the disconnection issue and also fixed the IP reservation issue (all IP reservations were ignored under V2.1.2.18.

So now I'm mostly OK but still annoyed that IOS devices keep falling off the wifi and local devices (servers, machines) don't register in the DNS so I have to address them by IP rather than name.

Hoping that the new V2.1.3 update in beta sorts this all out.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 397 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you disabled any of the features in the beta? MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and IPv6?

Also set a manual channel on 2.4Ghz to 1, 6 or 11 which ever is unused. Any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try Beamforming enabled alone, then test with it disabled. I have Beamforming enabled only on mine and all my iOS devices maintain a connection.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

@mbaker wrote:

I had exactly the same problem with my Orbi Satellites. They'd just randomly drop for 30-60sec and then reconnect. No error ever showed up in the logs.

I raised a ticket with Netgear and they advised me to force my firmware back to V2.0.1.4. That _mostly_ fixed the disconnection issue and also fixed the IP reservation issue (all IP reservations were ignored under V2.1.2.18.

So now I'm mostly OK but still annoyed that IOS devices keep falling off the wifi and local devices (servers, machines) don't register in the DNS so I have to address them by IP rather than name.

Hoping that the new V2.1.3 update in beta sorts this all out.

Message 398 of 571
WillBill
Tutor

After the upgrade to FW 2.1.3.4 (not beta) , I have disabled MIMO. Fast Roaming and beamforming. There is only one device in my house that causes the disconnect - Logitech Harmony Hub. It happens when you initiate a startup of the Denon Receiver and Samsung TV using the Hub. It causes the RBK50 to drop the internet connection for all devices (about 20) and you must do a manual turn on and off of the RBK50.
Message 399 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you contacted the Mfr of this hub device to help and information about it. Seems that if this is the only thing that cuases this, would be something to get in touch with the Mfr about. I have hear of a few others in other forums talking about these devices causing problems before.

@WillBill wrote:
After the upgrade to FW 2.1.3.4 (not beta) , I have disabled MIMO. Fast Roaming and beamforming. There is only one device in my house that causes the disconnect - Logitech Harmony Hub. It happens when you initiate a startup of the Denon Receiver and Samsung TV using the Hub. It causes the RBK50 to drop the internet connection for all devices (about 20) and you must do a manual turn on and off of the RBK50.

Message 400 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7