Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

WillBill
Tutor

Logitech has been absolutely unhelpful. It’s the classuc pass-off. Their Hub only operates on 2.4ghz. They suggest separating the mesh WiFi. Do you have any explanation as to why the Orbi router is forced to disconnect by this device? I can understand that the Hub may not access the mesh WiFi, but why does it shut everything down? Will there be a future easy way to separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 ghz?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 401 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this device have it's own broadcast? Seems like it does. Or is it a wireless client?

Does it have any wireless settings of it's own? If it does, you might see if you can change the channels to say 1, and set your Orbi rouer to manual channel 11 and see how it goes.

MESH systems or any kind of wifi that employs smart connect, is designed to handle and connect devices to each frequency automatically depending on client device HW support. If you have some devices that have 2.4Ghz only support, then these will only connect to the 2.4Ghz radio. Dual band devices, will depend on what singal quality is best and conditions with the device. So mostly devices should connect to the 5Ghz radio, unless the range or signal is bad then the device may connect to the 2.4Ghz radio instead. It's all automatic and the designe behind having one SSID name and using Smart Connect.

If your hub seems to be causing the Orbi system to stop, it usually means that this device is broadcasing on same frequency and channel and the Orbi is encountering this interference. Two broadcast devices can not be on the same channel on the same frequency. So you have to separate the channels as far appart as possible.

@WillBill wrote:
Logitech has been absolutely unhelpful. It’s the classuc pass-off. Their Hub only operates on 2.4ghz. They suggest separating the mesh WiFi. Do you have any explanation as to why the Orbi router is forced to disconnect by this device? I can understand that the Hub may not access the mesh WiFi, but why does it shut everything down? Will there be a future easy way to separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 ghz?

Message 402 of 571
WillBill
Tutor

First of all, thank you for trying to help me with this issue. You communicate to the Hub with the Harmony app via WiFi, then the Hub turns on devices using IR. I’m not aware of any way to set the wireless settings other than pick the SSID and enter the passcode. I purchased my Orbi system in August 2017. Do you think Netgear Premium Support can help me with this specific issue? I have researched on the internet and found that other people have a similar problem with the Harmony Hub and mesh WiFi.
Message 403 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact support and file a case. I would also contact one of the form moderators and let them know what your seeing with this device. I have heard that some devices don't play well with smart connect and or MESH systems. This maybe problematic if you continue to use this device.

@AmitRand @DarrenM

@WillBill wrote:
First of all, thank you for trying to help me with this issue. You communicate to the Hub with the Harmony app via WiFi, then the Hub turns on devices using IR. I’m not aware of any way to set the wireless settings other than pick the SSID and enter the passcode. I purchased my Orbi system in August 2017. Do you think Netgear Premium Support can help me with this specific issue? I have researched on the internet and found that other people have a similar problem with the Harmony Hub and mesh WiFi.

Message 404 of 571

From what you’ve written, it’s hard to tell if it’s some sort of signal interference issue or a problem with IP conflicts, etc. One random thought might be to see what happens if you create a guest network, which would have a different SSID than the one you’re broadcasting and connecting to for your other devices. It’s likeky that the guest network IPs would be confined to a range, and therefore, you MIGHT eliminate IP conflicts - assuming that’s causing the issue. Again, a long shot, but it would allow you to have a separate SSID being broadcast.
Message 405 of 571
WillBill
Tutor

Does the guest network still broadcast in both 2.4 and 5 ghz? I also had a random thought of assigning static IPs to each device. When a device is turned off and back on, it gets a different IP or when I manually reboot the RBK50, then all the IPs may change. When you use the Harmony app, I am typically starting a Denon Receiver, Samsung TV which then must get an IP address.
Message 406 of 571

You should be able to configure to use one or both... i haven’t tried to enable it for a while, but most every router allows you to choose.
Message 407 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, set up a static IP address ON the devices if they have this option to configure this. If you do, set the routers IP address pool to 192.168.1.100 to .200. Then assign static IP addresses ON devices out side the range of this pool.

You can always set a IP address reservation as well for the devices ON the router as well.

Yes I believe both frequencies are broadcast on Guest Networks as well.

@WillBill wrote:
Does the guest network still broadcast in both 2.4 and 5 ghz? I also had a random thought of assigning static IPs to each device. When a device is turned off and back on, it gets a different IP or when I manually reboot the RBK50, then all the IPs may change. When you use the Harmony app, I am typically starting a Denon Receiver, Samsung TV which then must get an IP address.

Message 408 of 571
myriad_rocker
Apprentice

Aside from the typical high traffic period slowness (50mbps instead of the 100mbps I pay for), the only issue that persists right now is the occasional drops on my Samsung Galaxy S7.  It has been only dropping for a second but today the connection dropped for a full minute before coming back.

Progress is progress it seems.  Steps in the right direction.

Message 409 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Is IPv6 enabled on the phone and or the router? Seen issues with Samsung phones and IPv6 before.

What is the 20/40Mhz Coexistence setting? Enabled? Try disabled.

What wireless features are enabled? Beamforming, MiMo? Cant remember what you said was disabled.

@myriad_rocker wrote:

Aside from the typical high traffic period slowness (50mbps instead of the 100mbps I pay for), the only issue that persists right now is the occasional drops on my Samsung Galaxy S7.  It has been only dropping for a second but today the connection dropped for a full minute before coming back.

Progress is progress it seems.  Steps in the right direction.

Message 410 of 571
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@WillBill wrote:

My Harmony Elite hub connected instantly and problem-free with its nearby Orbi satellite. It is 2.4 GHz only. I’m running Orbi 2.2 beta fw, maybe a fw update would help you.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 411 of 571
WillBill
Tutor

Hoping the problem is fixed with the Harmony Hub.  I didn't change any more settings.  For the record the normal default settings are intact, Daisy Chain is enabled and 2.4 ghz channel is set to auto.  I had faithfully updated when new FW was available, but the problem never seemed to disappear and sometimes got worse.  But here's the thing, when I reset the units after every FW update, I just pushed in the slot with a paperclip and then released.  Yesterday I reset all the units, but this time allowed 40 sec for each reset before releasing.  That seemed to work so far. I have not been able to get the Orbi router to disconnect from the wifi with the Harmony Hub.

Message 412 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like new beta FW is helping.

If you don't have more than 1 satellite, you can disable Daisy Chain, even if you do have two satllites, depending upon placement you don't need it enabled.

@WillBill wrote:

Hoping the problem is fixed with the Harmony Hub.  I didn't change any more settings.  For the record the normal default settings are intact, Daisy Chain is enabled and 2.4 ghz channel is set to auto.  I had faithfully updated when new FW was available, but the problem never seemed to disappear and sometimes got worse.  But here's the thing, when I reset the units after every FW update, I just pushed in the slot with a paperclip and then released.  Yesterday I reset all the units, but this time allowed 40 sec for each reset before releasing.  That seemed to work so far. I have not been able to get the Orbi router to disconnect from the wifi with the Harmony Hub.

Message 413 of 571
WillBill
Tutor

Spoke too soon - back to the Orbi RBR50 (FW 2.1.3.4) losing connection with the internet when using the Logitech Harmony Hub.  I disabled Daisy Chain Topology, but that does not stop the diconnects.  I removed an additional satellite (RBW30) that I had added and that didn't matter.  It appears after a hard reset, things are smooth for 24 to 48 hours and then its back to the router losing internet connection.  I'm not sure what to do next, other than separate myself from El Diablo Orbi.

Message 414 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like there is a problem between the Orbi wifi and this Harmony Hub device. I presume this is something NG support should have a look at. 

Message 415 of 571
MovieColony
Tutor

I finally gave up.  The Orbi is out there for as a generic access point for guests; if they can connect, great, if not - too bad.

I put in hardwire connections from my Linksys switch across the house -- all the bedrooms (6) have that now, along with some other areas,   That was cheaper than the Orbi and the satellites.

Message 416 of 571
DESIi1
Star

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection - Resolved by swapping out the Comcast Arris modem

After much testing and swapping equipment, it was proven that Comcast's Arris modem is not compatible with Orbi on AP mode.  Testing in pass-through was not done. Switching to a Netgear owner supplied cable/phone modem resolved the issue.   You likely will need a capable Comcast tech to help make the switch.

Message 417 of 571
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection - Resolved by swapping out the Comcast Arris modem

@DESIi1 wrote:

After much testing and swapping equipment, it was proven that Comcast's Arris modem is not compatible with Orbi on AP mode.  Testing in pass-through was not done. Switching to a Netgear owner supplied cable/phone modem resolved the issue.   You likely will need a capable Comcast tech to help make the switch.

Glad that you found your problem, the Orbi is great when it works as it should *smile*. Wondering which specific model Arris modem it was? I used the Arris TM822g modem with the Orbi for quite a while, in both router or AP mode and no problems. Maybe it was that specific modem, that it wasn't working right? Don't know if you tried multiple units of that cable modem? Anyways, glad to hear your problems are fixed!

Also, Comcast now has a process called auto-activation where you disconnect the old modem and connect the new one. Then attach a computer to it, and bring up a browser, and if it's a supported modem it should start to auto-activate. The first part of the process is identifying yourself/account, and there are several ways to do that. That worked for me recently with both the Netgear CM500V and the Netgear C7100V (that I beta tested). The cable modem auto-activation process is described on the Comcast site, where it talks about your devices, and how to replace your modem. Very simple and quick these days. 

Message 418 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

I put a 40 series on a TM722G the other day. Had a hard time getting good connections and wireless was goofy. After bridging the Arris modem and doing a full factory reset on Orbi system and setting up from scratch. Been great.

Not a fan of Arris modems though. Smiley Tongue

@RogerSC wrote:

@DESIi1 wrote:

Glad that you found your problem, the Orbi is great when it works as it should *smile*. Wondering which specific model Arris modem it was? I used the Arris TM822g modem with the Orbi for quite a while, in both router or AP mode and no problems. Maybe it was that specific modem, that it wasn't working right? Don't know if you tried multiple units of that cable modem? Anyways, glad to hear your problems are fixed!

Also, Comcast now has a process called auto-activation where you disconnect the old modem and connect the new one. Then attach a computer to it, and bring up a browser, and if it's a supported modem it should start to auto-activate. The first part of the process is identifying yourself/account, and there are several ways to do that. That worked for me recently with both the Netgear CM500V and the Netgear C7100V (that I beta tested). The cable modem auto-activation process is described on the Comcast site, where it talks about your devices, and how to replace your modem. Very simple and quick these days. 

Message 419 of 571
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I put a 40 series on a TM722G the other day. Had a hard time getting good connections and wireless was goofy. After bridging the Arris modem and doing a full factory reset on Orbi system and setting up from scratch. Been great.

@RogerSC wrote:

@DESIi1 wrote:

I had an Arris TM722g for several years, very solid. You don't bridge a cable modem, it doesn't have a router section, so you don't even get the choice of bridge mode (of course).  Anyways, the TM722g served me well until my download speed was raised to a higher speed than it would support. Upgraded to an Arris TM822g, and it also was solid and served me well. Again, my download speed was raised to more than the TM822g modem would support. I'm now using a Netgear CM500V to support 300Mbps. Which I don't see at prime time in the evening, down around 80-150Mbps usually then. I just love Comcast and their monopoly (here).

Anyways, never had a problem with Arris cable modems, they've just worked for me. The Netgear one that I have now is doing the same *smile*.

Message 420 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting, this modem has one. Also has a bridge UI feature. I tried it and it works. Buddy is happy with it. I'm thinking he might get one instead of a R7800 and extender set up. His home this THICK so I noticed that where I placed the router and satellite, signal was POOR. So after conencteing wired back haul, he's happy. Placement isn't the best however seems to work for now. May do some more placement review to get better results.

@RogerSC wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

@DESIi1 wrote:

I had an Arris TM722g for several years, very solid. You don't bridge a cable modem, it doesn't have a router section, so you don't even get the choice of bridge mode (of course).  Anyways, the TM722g served me well until my download speed was raised to a higher speed than it would support. Upgraded to an Arris TM822g, and it also was solid and served me well. Again, my download speed was raised to more than the TM822g modem would support. I'm now using a Netgear CM500V to support 300Mbps. Which I don't see at prime time in the evening, down around 80-150Mbps usually then. I just love Comcast and their monopoly (here).

Anyways, never had a problem with Arris cable modems, they've just worked for me. The Netgear one that I have now is doing the same *smile*.

Message 421 of 571
Sdprocto
Initiate

I have the same problem with the 3 pack i bought from costco today, running firmware 2.1.4.16; main tower is fine but satellites are up and down, mostly down. Its basically unusable. This POS is going back to costco tomorrow. 

Message 422 of 571
Baris
Tutor

Hi,

I have the same issue with latest FW. Satelliter drops connection on a daily basis. Paid almost 500€ for this product and it doesnt work.
Message 423 of 571
mbaker
Guide

I updated all the devices a while back and that fixed the problem. Now solid as a rock on current firmware.

M
Message 424 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

This problem has persisted for over a year it would appear and is not resolved with Firmware V2.1.4.16

There is nothing about this that is reassuring or acceptable - Netgear appears to be ignoring the issue and hoping it will go away.

The smattering of "DM me" messages is also troubling

Why is there a DM exchange in solving issues

I concur with everyone assessment of the Orbi support who are incapable of understanding this problem or accepting it

The wait times (90 minutes of hold time) unacceptable and no solutions except wait for it to "work itself out" 

This is an ongoing random occurring and frequently occurring disconnect of wifi AND hard-wired connections

I have the "business" = Expensive version and it suffers exactly the same issues and the support is awful -- there is no business support number, you have to call the main number to spend 20 minutes explaining to the tech to then be transferred to second-tier business support (if you are lucky a to actually get connected and not find the call disconnected in the transfer)

No direct number and no means of direct communication

If you are unlucky to be reading this owning one of these devices I suggest you make your voice heard in the public domain - Facebook, twitter etc

If you are lucky enough to be contemplating these devices - don't

A year - no solutions and no acceptance fo the problem

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 425 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7