Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

nxh786
Aspirant

Sick and tired of this mess!!! I've so many Netgear products but this is a huge mistakmistake.  I've tried changing all sorts of settings but no improvements. I'm supposedly on the latest firmware .

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 451 of 571
nxh786
Aspirant

I'm using the RBK33 setup that has 1 router and 2 plug-in satellites . 

Message 452 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Can try the configuration I used on my friends system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

If you feel your not getting anywhere, I recommend contact NG support or taking the system back to place of purchase...

@nxh786 wrote:

Sick and tired of this mess!!! I've so many Netgear products but this is a huge mistakmistake.  I've tried changing all sorts of settings but no improvements. I'm supposedly on the latest firmware .

Message 453 of 571
zekaonar
Guide

I have this same situation but my config is a little different and that makes the error state even weirder.

I have 3 RBK53 devices. My cable modem connects to the router and satellite 1 is in my office and it has a wired connection to my main workstation. If I download things over bit torrent without greatly restricting bandwidth or I download something over Steam my internet connection will die off. But my network goes into a weird state...

Nothing on my computer and anything in my office using wireless can access the internet. But I can still connect to my router at 192.168.1.1 from my computer that is wired into the satellite, so the orbi wireless backchanel is still working. The router still has access to the internet. It says the internet connection is good and both satellites and all devices are listed as attached devices. It can download firmware to the router but not the satellites and anything connected to the router's wireless is still online. My other satellite is also knocked offline at the same time and into the weird unroutable state at the same time.

It is like something on the router decided that the satellite is using too much internet and decides to block the satellites from the internet. But all internal network requests are still fine. I can still stream video from a computer on satellite 1 to a TV on satellite 2 but anything not connected to the router does not have internet access. If I cycle the power on the satellite internet will come back on both satellites. If I leave it in the errored state it will eventually come back maybe 1 hour.

I have tried all the workarounds in this thread. If I throttle my downloads to under 3 MB/s it heppens less often but it still means I can't utilize the bandwidth I'm paying for and this expensive high end system is garbage.  Firmware better fix this quickly.  

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 454 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

This may not a FW issue. Would need more information and troubleshooting details first.

What FW is currently loaded? If most current, has a full reset or erase been performed on the router and satellite(s) then set up from scratch?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@zekaonar wrote:

I have this same situation but my config is a little different and that makes the error state even weirder.

I have 3 RBK53 devices. My cable modem connects to the router and satellite 1 is in my office and it has a wired connection to my main workstation. If I download things over bit torrent without greatly restricting bandwidth or I download something over Steam my internet connection will die off. But my network goes into a weird state...

Nothing on my computer and anything in my office using wireless can access the internet. But I can still connect to my router at 192.168.1.1 from my computer that is wired into the satellite, so the orbi wireless backchanel is still working. The router still has access to the internet. It says the internet connection is good and both satellites and all devices are listed as attached devices. It can download firmware to the router but not the satellites and anything connected to the router's wireless is still online. My other satellite is also knocked offline at the same time and into the weird unroutable state at the same time.

It is like something on the router decided that the satellite is using too much internet and decides to block the satellites from the internet. But all internal network requests are still fine. I can still stream video from a computer on satellite 1 to a TV on satellite 2 but anything not connected to the router does not have internet access. If I cycle the power on the satellite internet will come back on both satellites. If I leave it in the errored state it will eventually come back maybe 1 hour.

I have tried all the workarounds in this thread. If I throttle my downloads to under 3 MB/s it heppens less often but it still means I can't utilize the bandwidth I'm paying for and this expensive high end system is garbage.  Firmware better fix this quickly.  

Message 455 of 571
Rennce
Guide

Howdy,

I have the Orbi Pro but have been experiencing the satellite dropping connectivity several times a day for weeks.  I had tried many of the suggestions but nothing seemed to help. So today I added a DHCP reservation for the satellite IP/MAC and have not had a single issue since. Yes it is early days but given I was having several drop outs every hour perhaps it has worked.

Cheers

Rennce

SRS60 with 1 Satellite

Firnware: V2.1.4.16

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 456 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about this here in the Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

@Rennce wrote:

Howdy,

I have the Orbi Pro but have been experiencing the satellite dropping connectivity several times a day for weeks.  I had tried many of the suggestions but nothing seemed to help. So today I added a DHCP reservation for the satellite IP/MAC and have not had a single issue since. Yes it is early days but given I was having several drop outs every hour perhaps it has worked.

Cheers

Rennce

SRS60 with 1 Satellite

Firnware: V2.1.4.16

Message 457 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'll save you the trouble - this device does not work. It appears to work for some people but there is a cadre of people including myself that the unit reboots, resets and disconnects no matter what you do.

You can see another unhappy "customer"

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-is-a-Complete-Netgear-Failure/m-p/1495506

The most troubling aspect of this in my case is that this is not WiFi but Wired as well as WiFi. I have hard wired Cat5 throughout the house and I have watched the system die on the wired connection bringing my whole house network to a standstill. In one case unresolved for 3 days. A replacement unit worked for the first few hours and then same problems recurred

Tech support is nothing of the sort for these "Business" class devices and support

I have the logs to prove the disconnects that occur with depressing frequency but unpredictably. Here's the most recent set of logs for my Synology *wired* device and the sequence of connects and disconnects

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 12:00:25 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-19 13:53:32 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 14:13:05 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-19 16:43:20 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 16:43:20 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-19 22:05:55 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 22:17:26 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 00:36:24 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-20 00:36:24 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 01:17:48 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-20 01:57:06 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 04:57:23 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-20 04:57:23 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 08:30:20 -04:00

As for the support line that I personally have spent over 3 1/2 hours sometimes being bounced from dept to dept but mostly on hold listening to irritating hold music. Ultimately I am promised a call back (within 60 secs of a disconnect) - never happened

Or from Orbi Business Level 2 Support within 10-15 minutes - 5 hours later still waiting

Each time you call you must go through regular support as they refuse to provide you with an access number to call the support line direct

Lucky for the folks who's devices are working but mine is definitely not and I have been troubleshooting since I bought it end of Jun 2018

Message 458 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

Ethernet Backhaul: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

Working after resets:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-2-1-3-4-in-auto-update/m-p/1553979/highlight/true#M28616
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-RBS50-Not-Connecting-via-Ethernet/m-p/1556692/h...

@nvt wrote:

I'll save you the trouble - this device does not work. It appears to work for some people but there is a cadre of people including myself that the unit reboots, resets and disconnects no matter what you do.

You can see another unhappy "customer"

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-is-a-Complete-Netgear-Failure/m-p/1495506

The most troubling aspect of this in my case is that this is not WiFi but Wired as well as WiFi. I have hard wired Cat5 throughout the house and I have watched the system die on the wired connection bringing my whole house network to a standstill. In one case unresolved for 3 days. A replacement unit worked for the first few hours and then same problems recurred

Tech support is nothing of the sort for these "Business" class devices and support

I have the logs to prove the disconnects that occur with depressing frequency but unpredictably. Here's the most recent set of logs for my Synology *wired* device and the sequence of connects and disconnects

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 12:00:25 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-19 13:53:32 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 14:13:05 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-19 16:43:20 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 16:43:20 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-19 22:05:55 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-19 22:17:26 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 00:36:24 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-20 00:36:24 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 01:17:48 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-20 01:57:06 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 04:57:23 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been lost since 2018-08-20 04:57:23 -04:00

Connection to <NAS-EXTERNAL-ID> has been resumed since 2018-08-20 08:30:20 -04:00

As for the support line that I personally have spent over 3 1/2 hours sometimes being bounced from dept to dept but mostly on hold listening to irritating hold music. Ultimately I am promised a call back (within 60 secs of a disconnect) - never happened

Or from Orbi Business Level 2 Support within 10-15 minutes - 5 hours later still waiting

Each time you call you must go through regular support as they refuse to provide you with an access number to call the support line direct

Lucky for the folks who's devices are working but mine is definitely not and I have been troubleshooting since I bought it end of Jun 2018

Message 459 of 571
Quickscan
Guide

yep, it doesn’t work properly and you can mess about with firmware, factory resets, relocation etc as much as you like but there is a fundamental hardware issue with Orbi that doubtless Netgear are trying hard to bury. My guess is that most Orbi owners are affected by the signal drops but because it reconnects in 30 secs or so it’s only people on conference calls all day or multi hour live streaming who would notice. I get about 4 or 5 drops a day but know now to do a manual reconnect in the network settings a second after it drops and i find it reconnects almost instantaneously. When it’s working it’s great but clearly they rushed it to market without proper testing because there is a fundamental issue with it. To all the people who send long technical responses about how this could be fixed with endless messing around with daisy, mu mu, location and firmware advice they are missing the point. The whole attraction and sales pitch of Orbi is that it works out of the box, it’s sold as a household consumer product that doesn’t require networking expertise. That’s why ultimately it’s a failure.
Message 460 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone is having problems with there Orbi systems...

@Quickscan wrote:
yep, it doesn’t work properly and you can mess about with firmware, factory resets, relocation etc as much as you like but there is a fundamental hardware issue with Orbi that doubtless Netgear are trying hard to bury. My guess is that most Orbi owners are affected by the signal drops but because it reconnects in 30 secs or so it’s only people on conference calls all day or multi hour live streaming who would notice. I get about 4 or 5 drops a day but know now to do a manual reconnect in the network settings a second after it drops and i find it reconnects almost instantaneously. When it’s working it’s great but clearly they rushed it to market without proper testing because there is a fundamental issue with it. To all the people who send long technical responses about how this could be fixed with endless messing around with daisy, mu mu, location and firmware advice they are missing the point. The whole attraction and sales pitch of Orbi is that it works out of the box, it’s sold as a household consumer product that doesn’t require networking expertise. That’s why ultimately it’s a failure.

Message 461 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not sure who you are directing your questions to but as I have stated above - the WiFi distance and channels etc are irrelevant to this problem in my case

Both satellite systems are connected via Cat 5 wired connections

The Satellite dropping connectison applies to @*wired* as well as wireless connections

Message 462 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree - for many they may not even be aware of since they are not using network connections that demand a persistent connection. It is far more apparent to me since I am on a wired connection most of the time and I see it drop and disconnect not just the network but my access to my NAS devices and network file storage which I use extensively

I don't doubt that for some it is working but I have clear evidence of this repeated problem that takes down my whole network

What I want is to return the device for a full refund and be done with Orbi. Leave those that have it working and wish them good luck but allow those that it is not working to get their money back and move to something that works for them

Message 463 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

>>>What FW is currently loaded?

The latest per Netgear on all 3 devices - main router and satellites (both connected via backhaul on Cat5): 

>>>What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Direct to FIOS ONT that works flawlessly 

>>>What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

~3,000- 3,500

But again - this is not about WiFi this disconnect and failure occurs on *wired* connections. THe log from the Synology device disconnect is a wired connection

>>>>What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them, to begin with depending upon building materials.

Both satellite devices are connected via backhaul. Base router in the basement, second device ground floor and second satellite first floor

>>>What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Auto - but I'd settle for a wired connection that was stable

>>>Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

2 low signal and they have been there for several years with prior wifi systems and have never caused any problems. But as above I'd settle to solve the wired disconnects and then worry about WiFi probelms 

>>>>Try disabling the following and see:

I'd go through this if I had a stable wired connection but don't. Unless any of these settings affect the wired connections I'd like o get my wired connections stable and not constantly disconnecting, unless you are telling me that the Orbi Router is unstable for all connections if the WiFi is affected - which would imo be a terrible problem. I've lived with WiFi challenges for years as I am sure many other have and expect them and am lucky to have Cat5 installed to multiple locations to provide reliable service where required - especially connections that need a persistentersistant connection (CItrix fo example)

What am I missing - I've spent says with my network dead, unable to print (hard wired printers not WiFi), unable to access files, security cameras disconnected (hard wired), inaccessible files on NAS devices and connections to the internet that are so slow that any app requiring internet access eventually hangs and has to be manually quit. I've checked the direct ONT FIOS internet which has run consistently >100/100 but that fails to show up wired or wireless

Message 464 of 571
naerok
Apprentice

Hey nvt, don't beat yourself over your issues or the unhelpful people in the forums.

I've posted something similar here before but here goes nothing:

there's an issue documented in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/What-you-can-expect-with-your-Orbi-system/m-p/1503034#M23257 that many people have experienced with no concrete solution.

good luck - so far the only solution seems to be putting a smart outlet / timer on your satellite(s) to reboot them once every 24 hours (I'm not joking) or rolling back the firmware (but I still see people saying they experience the same issues on the older firmware)

see this guy: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1512445#M24230

I really don't understand the people here that think repeating the same things blindly (have you tried disabling beam forwarding? mimo? how far is the distance between your sattelites? have you tried a factory reset? have you tried spinning in a circle 4 times while holding the orbi above your head and dancing with it? have you tried to balance the satellites on your hands and sing kumbaya while entering your wifi password?) and talk down on the users that experience real issues (especially this furry guy)

It's like they have a notepad with things ready to copy/paste blindly to anyone experiencing issues here.  I'm not sure if these are bots created by netgear or if these are actual people with too much time on their hands trying to get noticed by netgear to get hired as a customer support employee (it seems like when you call them, this is how they picked their support employees anyways)

Again, I appreciate people that are trying to help the community but it really rubs me the wrong way when this is most definitely an issue with the Orbi under certain network conditions and people continuously blame the user setting it up - especially after I've spent several weeks pulling my hair out debugging this issue with no solution (except rebooting satellites multiple times a day) until I replaced the Orbi system completely. 

Message 465 of 571
Rennce
Guide

Hello All,
Thanks for all the replies. Other than not downgrading firmware, I have tweaked all other suggestions and nothing seemed to work until I added a DHCP entry to reserve the IP address of the satellite. This seemed to fix the issue (for both Wi-Fi and wired connection to satellite) and I have not noticed any dropped connection since (ie no hung Citrix session to clients and I sit on Citrix all day). Given I run a business i don’t have time to bugger around with firmware version etc as funny enough I don’t get paid unless I have a working network to connect to my clients.

Cheers Rennce
Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 466 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up reserved IP addresses for your satellites and other devices. 

Can try this as well:

Heres how I got my friends 50 series up and running:

Zero issues since setting it up.

If nothing works, you may just have a bad system and would need to be replaced or RMAd. 

@nvt wrote:

>>>What FW is currently loaded?

The latest per Netgear on all 3 devices - main router and satellites (both connected via backhaul on Cat5): 

>>>What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Direct to FIOS ONT that works flawlessly 

>>>What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

~3,000- 3,500

But again - this is not about WiFi this disconnect and failure occurs on *wired* connections. THe log from the Synology device disconnect is a wired connection

>>>>What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them, to begin with depending upon building materials.

Both satellite devices are connected via backhaul. Base router in the basement, second device ground floor and second satellite first floor

>>>What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Auto - but I'd settle for a wired connection that was stable

>>>Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

2 low signal and they have been there for several years with prior wifi systems and have never caused any problems. But as above I'd settle to solve the wired disconnects and then worry about WiFi probelms 

>>>>Try disabling the following and see:

I'd go through this if I had a stable wired connection but don't. Unless any of these settings affect the wired connections I'd like o get my wired connections stable and not constantly disconnecting, unless you are telling me that the Orbi Router is unstable for all connections if the WiFi is affected - which would imo be a terrible problem. I've lived with WiFi challenges for years as I am sure many other have and expect them and am lucky to have Cat5 installed to multiple locations to provide reliable service where required - especially connections that need a persistentersistant connection (CItrix fo example)

What am I missing - I've spent says with my network dead, unable to print (hard wired printers not WiFi), unable to access files, security cameras disconnected (hard wired), inaccessible files on NAS devices and connections to the internet that are so slow that any app requiring internet access eventually hangs and has to be manually quit. I've checked the direct ONT FIOS internet which has run consistently >100/100 but that fails to show up wired or wireless

Message 467 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

>>>>What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

There is no modem - it is connected directly to the Cat5 out from the Verizon FiOS ONT unit 

>>>>Try setting up reserved IP addresses for your satellites and other devices. 

Both satellites have a fixed reserved IP address and are connected backhaul. Several of my devices have fixed IP addresses but assigning IP addresses is a significant challenge

Message 468 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both satellites in my configuration are assigned a fixed IP address. I did this when I first set everything up. My problems occurred form the beginning and continue to occur

Message 469 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this, since you have a medium sized home, I would turn OFF the 2nd satellite. You may not need it. There maybe too much wifi signal running around. Try just the Orbi router and 1 satellite.

Also try swapping out satellites too. One other users found that one of his satellites was bas while the other worked.

UI would also try just the Orbi by itself while the satellites of OFF. See if the problem continues. If so, you may need a RMA on the whole system.

@nvt wrote:

Both satellites in my configuration are assigned a fixed IP address. I did this when I first set everything up. My problems occurred form the beginning and continue to occur

Message 470 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the laugh @naerok - I needed that!
As I've stated - what I want is to be rid of a system that does not work for me. The question I have for NetGear - who have gone radio silent and ignore the support request that I have updated with details documenting the failure and naturally have not called back despite all the promise to do so is this
Is the $750 refund too much to ask - let me walk away quietly, unhappy but not out of pocket vs extremely unhappy customer with a $750 paperweight who wants to make sure this message and experience is heard wide and far by anyone who is considering buying a device that can essentially bring your network to its knees for days..?
Latest SpeedTest showing the drop from one moment to the next

Message 471 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'll try dropping a satellite but in the meantime, my woes are captured perfectly in these connection logs in the attachment showing 

10 am 90/90

17:00 7/2

17:42 94/94

17:45 1.5/68

And no surprise radio silence from Netgear with no follow-up calls (promised) and no updates ot my case - in fact, no communication whatsoever

Message 472 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

I see the test site servers differ too. I would try to use one of the same servers so you can get a better base line. Need to use same servers as other servers could be busier than other thus giving false readings.

Let us know what happens with just using the router alone, then just adding 1 satelilte.

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

@nvt wrote:

I'll try dropping a satellite but in the meantime, my woes are captured perfectly in these connection logs in the attachment showing 

10 am 90/90

17:00 7/2

17:42 94/94

17:45 1.5/68

And no surprise radio silence from Netgear with no follow-up calls (promised) and no updates ot my case - in fact, no communication whatsoever

Message 473 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sure - there's some variation but not to that extent. If I was able to select the server I would but the service does so based on how busy different servers are so its reasonable to take those values as consistent across two different locations

Either way - I appreciate the help but struggle to comprehend the failure to accept that the system is flawed and broken. Netgear certainly wants to ignore the problem based on my experiences over the last 2 months of misery

If your suggestion of removing both satellites work - then it is clear that the Mesh network technology does not work in the case of the Netgear Orbi system. 

Message 474 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

You can set specific servers on Speedtest.net. I would use this first.

I'm trying to help you determine maybe if one of the satellites is faulty or your sysems is faulty. There are others that have had good experiences so just because your system isn't working doesn't mean everyone sees the same problem. The MESH systems does work. Just checking here to see by eliminating both satellites first to see if the router works on it's own. If it does, then add a satellite and check again. If the problem appears, swap out the satellite for the other satellite and test. Process of elimiation is all...If the systems is bad, then contact one of the forum moderators and ask them for help in getting an RMA started.

@nvt wrote:

Sure - there's some variation but not to that extent. If I was able to select the server I would but the service does so based on how busy different servers are so its reasonable to take those values as consistent across two different locations

Either way - I appreciate the help but struggle to comprehend the failure to accept that the system is flawed and broken. Netgear certainly wants to ignore the problem based on my experiences over the last 2 months of misery

If your suggestion of removing both satellites work - then it is clear that the Mesh network technology does not work in the case of the Netgear Orbi system. 

Message 475 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7