Reply
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Again - apprecaite your help - not sure who you are @FURRYe38 but you are more helpful than Netgear - I just spent 4 hours and 35 mins (8 mins talk time the rest on hold) with the support desk essentially waitign to talk to anyone...literally enyone. I eventuaally hung up.

One fo the saetllites won't sync and shows up as a "device" in the configuration

I've gievn up tryign to get Orbi to work as a router - it does not in my environment and it has killed my home wired network (and wired network) for over 3 months now. As an AP point it might work but again I see the same interimittant disconnects

I don't doubt MESH works - in fact the AmpliFi system that Ubiquiti sent me was up in under 15 minutes and running and working flawlessly for well over a week now.

Netgear support is long past a joke - I have the business class device adn instead of improving support it actually adds further pain and agony. THere is no direct access number for Orbi "Pro/Business" support - you must call the general number and wait a minimum of 20 mins to connect adn validate yoru support case and be transfer. I've asked many times for the direct access number and am told no such number exists - so if you are Pro/Business you are stuck in th sam queue as everyoen else and it just adds an additiona delay and opportunity for failure which Netgear is either knwoengly exploiting or just does not care based onthe hours I have spent being promised calls back and responses - none forthcoming

Message 476 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Understand.  I too also noticed that working with the Orbi system, even from out of the box, is not a quick setup turn around. I do hope NG will work on this aspect. Ya, it took me close to two hours to get my friends system up and running, and this is with prior knowledge and having to do FW updates before hand and working with wired back haul and its wait for 5 minutes for each satellite. Smiley Frustrated

 

Support could use some work and inprovment as well. I wish they were a bit more upfront on contacting them and do a bit more to troubleshoot users problems. Smiley Frustrated

 

Sounds like maybe the system you had could have been a bad lemon. There have been others that we have tried to help only in the end to have them get an RMA and the new system seemed to work. So there is that possibility.

 

Glad you found something that worked. Good Luck and Enjoy. Smiley Wink


@nvt wrote:

Again - apprecaite your help - not sure who you are @FURRYe38 but you are more helpful than Netgear - I just spent 4 hours and 35 mins (8 mins talk time the rest on hold) with the support desk essentially waitign to talk to anyone...literally enyone. I eventuaally hung up.

One fo the saetllites won't sync and shows up as a "device" in the configuration

I've gievn up tryign to get Orbi to work as a router - it does not in my environment and it has killed my home wired network (and wired network) for over 3 months now. As an AP point it might work but again I see the same interimittant disconnects

I don't doubt MESH works - in fact the AmpliFi system that Ubiquiti sent me was up in under 15 minutes and running and working flawlessly for well over a week now.

Netgear support is long past a joke - I have the business class device adn instead of improving support it actually adds further pain and agony. THere is no direct access number for Orbi "Pro/Business" support - you must call the general number and wait a minimum of 20 mins to connect adn validate yoru support case and be transfer. I've asked many times for the direct access number and am told no such number exists - so if you are Pro/Business you are stuck in th sam queue as everyoen else and it just adds an additiona delay and opportunity for failure which Netgear is either knwoengly exploiting or just does not care based onthe hours I have spent being promised calls back and responses - none forthcoming




 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 477 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

I'd love an RMA and a return but since they don't answer calls or return calls and I am unable ot create an RMA without talking to someone I can't

Message 478 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Ya, I know. Why I have users contact the forum Moderators on here so they can at least get to someone. Smiley Wink


@nvt wrote:

I'd love an RMA and a return but since they don't answer calls or return calls and I am unable ot create an RMA without talking to someone I can't




 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 479 of 571

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

I was having the same wifi dropout problem and I posted over a month ago.  Knowing Netgear's support, only thing to do is take the unit(s) offline, put your old equipment up and wait months needed for a better firmware.  thank you to everyone who has put in the time to bring it to netgear's attention.  This was more acceptable when it was a $150 router, but orbi is a serious investment, and I'm sad to see the same responders from netgear's PR forum team ask the same questions, offer the same tips, which don't result in any better results (just a loss of your valuable time).  When angry users make a point, they just want you to private message them? the whole point of the forum is so we can ALL get the information quickly, without spending hours on hold.  10 pages of this thread, and the firmware fix hasn't been relased!! epic fail.

Message 480 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Possilbe that your system is just faulty too. Been other having bad experiences and after getting them replaced, the new units work. Something you should ask NG support or contact the forum Moderators about if you haven't already. Not everyone is having bad experiences.

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O


@circadianswing wrote:

I was having the same wifi dropout problem and I posted over a month ago.  Knowing Netgear's support, only thing to do is take the unit(s) offline, put your old equipment up and wait months needed for a better firmware.  thank you to everyone who has put in the time to bring it to netgear's attention.  This was more acceptable when it was a $150 router, but orbi is a serious investment, and I'm sad to see the same responders from netgear's PR forum team ask the same questions, offer the same tips, which don't result in any better results (just a loss of your valuable time).  When angry users make a point, they just want you to private message them? the whole point of the forum is so we can ALL get the information quickly, without spending hours on hold.  10 pages of this thread, and the firmware fix hasn't been relased!! epic fail.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 481 of 571
nvt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

How/Who do I contact?

Message 482 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection


@nvt wrote:

How/Who do I contact?



Send a PM:

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 483 of 571
angiizzi
Aspirant

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

I am also having a problem where my Orbi goes up and down constantly. This is only 4 months old and is an RBR40 with 1 satlellite. The firmware version is V2.1.4.16. I have tried almost everything and about to throw it out the door and try something new. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Message 484 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


@angiizzi wrote:

I am also having a problem where my Orbi goes up and down constantly. This is only 4 months old and is an RBR40 with 1 satlellite. The firmware version is V2.1.4.16. I have tried almost everything and about to throw it out the door and try something new. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 485 of 571
angiizzi
Aspirant

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too? Comcast TG3482G
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. None
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3200 sf
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. About 25 feet but it is through a few strong walls.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I am not sure how to do this.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  Yes, only a few. I do have wifi enabled on the cable modem as well. Could that be an issue?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). I can try this.

Message 486 of 571
angiizzi
Aspirant

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

I should also point out that when my phone is connected to the Orbi and do a speed test, it appears to be 647 down and 41 up. When I perform a speedtest on from the exact location in the house on my Macbook Pro it is 14 down and 22 up. This seems like something between the satellite and the Mac.

 

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can provide.

 

Angi

Message 487 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

"Comcast TG3482G"
Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@angiizzi wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too? Comcast TG3482G
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. None
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3200 sf
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. About 25 feet but it is through a few strong walls.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I am not sure how to do this.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  Yes, only a few. I do have wifi enabled on the cable modem as well. Could that be an issue?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). I can try this.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 488 of 571
Hsc1102
Apprentice

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Perpetual purple... wtf
Message 489 of 571
Hsc1102
Apprentice

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

So tired of this
Message 490 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Is it the same on the top LED on the device?

 

Need more info here...

 


@Hsc1102 wrote:
Perpetual purple... wtf



 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 491 of 571
zekaonar
Guide

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

I have to say Netgear permanently lost my business with this product and their tech support of it.  I feel scammed and when I see that Amazon still has this product at close to 5 stars you know they are gaming the reviews.  At least the critical reviews are getting marked helpful and hopefully some people pause an research a bit more before clicking buy.  Netgear deserves to loose business over this POS.  If the product didn't suck we wouldn't notice their support is so bad.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 492 of 571
Tbsteph
Star

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Try going back to 2.1.4.10. Do the satellite first. I had same problem. Older firmware resolved tha satellite dropping connection. Yep, this is very frustrating.
Message 493 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

If you give us some details of whats going on, maybe we can help you out here in the forum.


@zekaonar wrote:

I have to say Netgear permanently lost my business with this product and their tech support of it.  I feel scammed and when I see that Amazon still has this product at close to 5 stars you know they are gaming the reviews.  At least the critical reviews are getting marked helpful and hopefully some people pause an research a bit more before clicking buy.  Netgear deserves to loose business over this POS.  If the product didn't suck we wouldn't notice their support is so bad.




 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 494 of 571

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Furry, and the other forum helpers.  I think it's quite obvious the firmware has SIGNIFICANT issues, and rather than asking everyone the same questions, and providing the same answers. is it possible to get Netgear's engineering team to give us an ETA on a fix for this "Drop out" situation?

Message 495 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Have you asked for the new beta thats available?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

 

Router mfrs don't give information on when FW will be released.

 

One user mentioned going back to v.10 FW helped them...

 


@circadianswing wrote:

Furry, and the other forum helpers.  I think it's quite obvious the firmware has SIGNIFICANT issues, and rather than asking everyone the same questions, and providing the same answers. is it possible to get Netgear's engineering team to give us an ETA on a fix for this "Drop out" situation?


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 496 of 571
jblack68
Guide

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

I had problems trying to re connect the Satellite - would show as attached devices on the router page and the speeds would be limited to 11mbps. I managed to get it reconnected by disconnecting the Ethernet devices on the satellite and turning the power switch on it off and on and seemed to work.
Message 497 of 571
prasen82
Aspirant

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

I purchased it this may. it was working finr. since last 10 days it has been dropping connections left right and center only to work upon powering off and poweing on. its connected to spectrum through motorola docis modem sb6121.

 

had an asus tmobile cellspot router earlier. no problem. Now this is like super junk.

 

i believe this has warranty still but what to do if the system does not work. phone and chat support not available.

 

i also upgraded to latest firmware V2.1.4.16 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 498 of 571
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

Has a reset been performed after the FW as updated and set up from scratch?

 


@prasen82 wrote:

I purchased it this may. it was working finr. since last 10 days it has been dropping connections left right and center only to work upon powering off and poweing on. its connected to spectrum through motorola docis modem sb6121.

 

had an asus tmobile cellspot router earlier. no problem. Now this is like super junk.

 

i believe this has warranty still but what to do if the system does not work. phone and chat support not available.

 

i also upgraded to latest firmware V2.1.4.16 




My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 499 of 571
prasen82
Aspirant

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Hi,

The modem is Motorola docsis sb6141.home is 3500 and satellite is in second floor while router is in first floor.

I will try the rest and let you know what I observe. This started happening over the last 1 month.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 500 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements