Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite dropping connection

Oliverpool
Guide

Re: Orbi satellite dropping connection

Run to the store and return the unit while you still can. Get any other Brand that is on the shelf. Save yourself any grief with orbi.

Even if this version works for you now, when they release a new version, orbi will auto update without asking your permission . While there are older version that seem to work well for different folks, the orbi will insist on automatically updating to the current version within days without asking for your permission
Message 126 of 571
DezM
Star

Everyone. Just be sure to update the satellite FIRST and than update the router when applying firmware updates. Early on, I updated the router first and I assumed both the router and satellite were updated. I was wrong. I found out the hard way when I was getting constant disconnections and internet disruptions.

I figured out that my satellite had OLD firmware as opposed to newer firmware in the router. I found out by shutting off my router, connecting my laptop to the satellite's Ethernet port and logging in to the satellite. Enter login and password which warned me that i was not connected to my router. I hit OK and noticed that my satellite was running v1.11xx firmware. Earlier, I had downloaded the newest firmware for the satellite and applied it via the Firmware update page inside the satellite. I did a manual install.

After successfully updating the satellite and disconnecting my Ethernet cable to the laptop, I turned on my router and both synced. Now I see the satellite as an Attached Device in my router. Hopefully, now I'll see consistent connections and fast internet speeds i was accustomed to with the Orbi.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 127 of 571
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Several of my wireless clients were annoyingly dropping connections (Lenovo Android Yoga Book, Galaxy s7, Dell laptop E6230) and unticking the 20/40Mhz coexistence box appears to have sorted it out - 12 hours and no disconnects so far. Took a while to work through the many suggestions on the forums.... that was a bit of a journey!

Message 128 of 571
mrtelarc
Tutor

Thanks for the info which I would like to try. Can you help wirth how to reach where said box is to untik is located? 

Message 129 of 571
tagteam
Virtuoso

At the top of the web (browser) GUI, click the Advanced tab, then click Advanced Setup and then Wireless Settings.

Message 130 of 571
mrtelarc
Tutor

Got it, many thanks!

Message 131 of 571
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Hi Mrtelarc,

Also unticked on that page are all of

Enablen daisy chain

enable implicit beam forming

enable mumimo

enable fast roaming

And also, on one of my devices, a voyo brand (cheap chinese one) mini pc windows tv box i had to go into the wireless adapter settings on that pc and make sure it was set to 20mhz only. (properties-configure-advanced-bandwidth-20mhzonly). I didn't need need to do anything on the dell laptop (whose speed doubled).

things still seem to be working with no dropouts, but now i'm fixated on the wireless indicator on my devices haha.

Message 132 of 571
MrX911
Apprentice

Please add me to the list.

1 Router, 2 Satellites. The satellites keep losing connection on a daily basis. Can be fixed by retsarting the satellites but far from ideal 😞

Running the latest firmware 2.0.0.74

Please help.

Message 133 of 571
Merose
Tutor

Satellites keep disconnecting.  I want to through this Orbi against the wall. I just purchased from Costo and installed yesterday and it keeps dropping and satellite LED ring is solid amber.  Seems to keep losing IP address. I upgraded to the latest firmware 2.0.0.74 out-the-box.

Message 134 of 571
st_shaw
Master

@Merose wrote:

...it keeps dropping and satellite LED ring is solid amber.  Seems to keep losing IP address.

That indicates the satelite has a poor backhaul signal from the router.  Move things so the router and satellite(s) are closer together and/or have fewer walls between them.  Start close together and once you have things stable, then you can try different locations. If you have two satellites, you might try using the daisy-chain topology.

Message 135 of 571
diggle
Apprentice

I guess I’ve had a good run. I have had no problems with connectivity, speed, reliability for 9 months now.....until the last 3 weeks. Began experiencing the dreaded “no internet connection” problem. This seemed to be random in nature at first, and rebooting the Orbi router and satellite seemed to do the trick. The modem always remained connected...but I tried rebooting it as well. Problems would recur on a daily basis. So I found this forum thread.

i have tried all the suggestions noted above except reverting to previous firmware. 

Router firmware:  V2.0.0.74

Satellite firmware: I guess it’s the latest as it doesn’t require update, but couldn’t find it through Orbi site.

The latest version of the failure: NETGEAR Genie App shows all clients connected and internet available. MacBook Pro says no internet connection. 2 iPhones and iPads ok.

has the problem been identified by NETGEAR, and if so is there a fix coming?

Message 136 of 571

The Orbis are horrible and if I could start a class action lawsuit I would.  I have 1 Router and 3 satellites sitting in their original boxes in the closet and I can’t take them back because the problems did not start until my time of warranty was over.  I would like my money back for the $1K I spent. 

I went ahead and bought the X10 Nighthawk ($450) and 3 Nighthawk X6S EX8000 ($750) and I have not had one single drop in 2 weeks since I installed the system.  Works perfect and is way faster.  Very Very happy with the system $1,200 later.

As a loyal Netgear fan for many years I stuck with their brand and I believe they should refund me for the Orbi system I have in the original boxes sitting collecting dust.  Waste of my money and most of all my time.

if any lawyers out there think we have a class action lawsuit on our hands, please send me a message as I am ready!  Netgear if you want to redeem yourself, then take care of your customer and send me a message or call.

Message 137 of 571

The Orbis are horrible and if I could start a class action lawsuit I would. I have 1 Router and 3 satellites sitting in their original boxes in the closet and I can’t take them back because the problems did not start until my time of warranty was over. I would like my money back for the $1K I spent.

I went ahead and bought the X10 Nighthawk ($450) and 3 Nighthawk X6S EX8000 ($750) and I have not had one single drop in 2 weeks since I installed the system. Works perfect and is way faster. Very Very happy with the system $1,200 later.

As a loyal Netgear fan for many years I stuck with their brand and I believe they should refund me for the Orbi system I have in the original boxes sitting collecting dust. Waste of my money and most of all my time.

if any lawyers out there think we have a class action lawsuit on our hands, please send me a message as I am ready! Netgear if you want to redeem yourself, then take care of your customer and send me a message or call.

Message 138 of 571
diggle
Apprentice

The problem continues. I’ve had continuing issues with inability to join internet from MacBook, i-hones,iPads and the home electricity management system that previously connected to internet via Wifi. I have contacted my retailer who said “bring it in and we’ll test it”. The problem with that is, it will no doubt show no problems as the app does now....despite inability to connect to the internet. The devices continually need rebooting and the iphones/iPads need “lease renewing”.

At the moment, without significant technical expertise, that i have not been able to get from NETGEAR, the devices are “not fit for purpose” and I’ll be seeking a refund....then look for another, more stable network system for the house. Unless NETGEAR come up with a fix in the next week they are gone. This is the first time I have had an issue with NETGEAR which can not or will not be fixed. Very disappointing.

Message 139 of 571
mtlam
Guide

Like everyone else here, I gave up on the Orbi units. I've exchanged units just to rule out faulty hardware, tried every suggestion and combination of settings and it didn't help with the disconnects. Spoke with level 2 support and said they'll get back to me roughly in a week after emailing debug logs but honestly I shouldn't have to wait that long to get a stable network. So I returned my units for a refund and went with the eero pro.

Good luck to everyone who's having issues, hopefully it'll get resolved.

Message 140 of 571
TonyTiger
Aspirant

Hi Community,

@mtlam Im about to do the same thing. My system is dropping connection to internet (WAN side) and the support team cant get my IPTV to work with Telia (Telia the largest IPTV provider in Sweden). 

//Tony disappointed customer

Message 141 of 571
MrX911
Apprentice

Also giving up now. Absoulte nightmare and don't really see Netgear acknowledging it anywhere or at least hinting at a timescale to a fix.

Will be sending mine back and moving to either Google or Ubiquiti 

Message 142 of 571

I wish I could take mine back, but I did not have problems until my return period was over!

Message 143 of 571
Raka1212
Guide

Just got 3 unit system from Costco. It auto updated to latest firmware. I will try it for a week or two and if I see frequent random dropped connections, It is going back to Costco. I am not going to be a beta tester for Netgear with my $400. If netgear wants to experiment then they should provide free tester units.
Message 144 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here's the problem... Orbi worked great for some of us, for months and months.  In my particular case, it was absolutely flawless from March until July.  Not a single dropped connection or connection issue with the sats... then starting with 1.10.x kablooey.  I'm really not sure why they can't get a handle on the stability, and the lack of communication is frustrating.  

Message 145 of 571
tcaradonna
Guide

I uploaded a beta version of software recent (still not publically released).  I was hopeful it would fix the problem, but alas, it seems this problem will continue to plague the community. 

Very frustrating. 

Message 146 of 571
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tcaradonna wrote:

I uploaded a beta version of software recent (still not publically released).  I was hopeful it would fix the problem, but alas, it seems this problem will continue to plague the community. 

Very frustrating. 

Yeah, they lost control of the stability with 1.10.x and evidently won't be able to get it back.

Message 147 of 571
mfroggie
Initiate

Just purchased the 3 orbi set from Costco last week. Worked fine for a week and added a RBS also. Today satellite in office keeps dropping connection. Not just to wireless devices but also to my wired desktop. Can't do work this way. I have read through all these posts and tried all the different settings people suggest and still have issues every few minutes. On firmware 2.0.0.74. I am ready to box them up and take them back and try another one or go back to my old router. Terrible to spend this kind of money on product that doesn't work but I have to be able to connect to my clients networks to support them and I can't have a system that isn't dependable. Shame on Netgear for not getting this fixed. I guess Orbi's just suck!
Message 148 of 571
st_shaw
Master

Sounds like your new satellite might be located too far from the Orbi router to make a stable backhaul connection. You might need to move the router and/or the satellite to different spots to get a stable connection.

Message 149 of 571
mfroggie
Initiate

@st_shaw wrote:

Sounds like your new satellite might be located too far from the Orbi router to make a stable backhaul connection. You might need to move the router and/or the satellite to different spots to get a stable connection.

That is why it worked all week last week with no issues. Not sold.
Message 150 of 571
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7