Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite keeps switching to wired backhaul!!!

noinse12
Follower

Orbi satellite keeps switching to wired backhaul!!!

My satellite keeps switching to wired back haul, however there is no wired connection, so this ends up partitioning my network into two halves. I'm hoping someone might have a clue why.

Both are in AP mode, DHCP is controlled by a server on my network, the router is a Netgear lb1120 (lte modem). I also have a Netgear GS108PEv3 on the network. There are no wired connections between the AP's, the satellite has a single wired connection to my desktop on one side of the house. The "router" AP has wired connections to the switch, steam link, a raspberry pi, storage server and printer.

Message 1 of 4
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi satellite keeps switching to wired backhaul!!!

This is likely because there is a wired device in your network that Orbi doesn’t like! Most probably it’s the PoE switch but it can also be one of the other wired devices.
Please troubleshoot by disconnecting the wired devices one by one to find the culprit device.
Sensitivity to attached devices is a problem that I hope that Netgear is working on a fix for. It’s an ugly limitation.
Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@noinse12 wrote:

My satellite keeps switching to wired back haul, however there is no wired connection, so this ends up partitioning my network into two halves. I'm hoping someone might have a clue why.

How do you determine that the satellite has switched to wired backhaul?  (Orbi app?  Orbi web interface?)

I would think that the "ring light" on the satellite would change to indicate no connection?

When this happens, how do you "fix it"?  e.g. Does power cycling one or both units return it to WiFi backhaul for a while?

When it happens next time, could you connect to the router and satellite web interfaces separately, log in, and then change the URL to read:

http://<ip>/hidden_info.htm

There should be information about the backhaul.  Would be interesting to know if they report different things.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

See if you can disable ALL IGMP Protocols on the switch after checking operation of Orbi with out the switch being online. 

@noinse12 wrote:

Both are in AP mode, DHCP is controlled by a server on my network, the router is a Netgear lb1120 (lte modem). I also have a Netgear GS108PEv3 on the network. There are no wired connections between the AP's, the satellite has a single wired connection to my desktop on one side of the house. The "router" AP has wired connections to the switch, steam link, a raspberry pi, storage server and printer.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7