Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite loosing internet when wired PC on

lmazuel
Guide

Orbi satellite loosing internet when wired PC on

Hello,

I have the RBK53 router + two sattellites. Satellite in Wifi backhaul (Daisy chain disabled, I don't need it). Everything is working as expected, but when my PC (wired Ethernet on the satellite) is turned on, the Satellite looses the Internet connection randomly. Sometimes several times a day. I have to reboot it to make it work.

When Internet is lost, I still have network and local IPs (I can see all other computers and even access the router on 192.168.1.1 from my "no internet" PC. And the UI tells me everything is good). But Internet stops suddenly and all devices on this satellite loose at the same time (Wifi or wired).

I tried to switch the two satellites (in case of a hardware issue), and this is always the satellite wired on my PC that crashes (the other one at the opposite of the house still work, even over the wire, it's easy to test since I have a Arlo plugged on it, so I just have to see my camera to confirm that satelite didn't loose Internet).

I tried to understand why my PC is changin anything. I disabled my VPN to work, but didn't change anything. I have "fake" Ethernet card created by Docker, but didn't try yet to uninstall Docker to test it... I'm on Windows 10 Pro with a ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E motherboard.

I tried to play with all MIMO and configuration stuff I could find, but didn't change anything.

I saw some posts about that Google client (Google Home) could make Orbi crash, so I know it's possible that a client makes the Orbi crashes.... Before I saw that post, I'd never thought a client could make the router crash....

Thoughts?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite loosing internet when wired PC on

Do other devices connected to the satellite have this same problem? Try a different device.

Might swap out this satellite for the other satellite and test.

Review this and see if anything might help you here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 2 of 6
lmazuel
Guide

Hi, thanks for the reply!

As I said, I already swaped out the two satellites, this is the one on my computer that does crash anytime, and the other one works all the time. The satellite works well when my PC is off (it can be for days regarding my work), when I'm here, it crashes at least once a day (good side effect, is I'm always home when there is a problem...).

I have to work right now and can't test your suggestion right now, will try tonight.

Yesterday I also upgraded my Ethernet card drivers to the latest, hopefully this would help as well...

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this, the one satellite that crashes, download the FW file for it and re-load FW on it using IE11 or FF browser. After the Fw loads, factory reset the satellite and re-add it. Test again with the PC connected to it, including the prior suggestions. If it still crashes or stops internet, I would phone contact NG support and ask for an RMA...

Message 4 of 6
lmazuel
Guide

As I said, there is always one satellite that crashes: the one on my computer, even if I switched them.

In all honesty, I also had the Circle bandwidth problem, that I wasn't able to solve. I finally gave up, and returned the Orbi... I moved to eero so far so good. And at least the parental control works...

I'm a Netgear fan for years, I'm disapointed...

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements