Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite loses connection at exactly 26 and 56 minutes past the hour, every hour.

JE_CLT
Aspirant

Orbi satellite loses connection at exactly 26 and 56 minutes past the hour, every hour.

I am reposting this with a more acurate subject. My Orbi Satellite RBS50 disconnects from the router at exacly 26 minutes past the hour and again at 56 minutes. Does this every hour. I have it on the latest firmware which is V2.1.2.18.  I have tried resetting the device at least twice to no avail.  Before I have to shell out the dough for calling support hoping somebody else may have run into this - I am suspecting it is a hardware issue but not sure.  I have another satellite that is not losing the connection at all so this is a specific device.  I also ran a network analyzer trace from one of my machines connected to the router and it really did not show anything other than a gap on network traffic for several seconds.  This is a problem becuase you get kicked out of streaming meetings and/or gaming sessions.  Any help or pointers appreciated.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JE_CLT
Aspirant

Re: Orbi satellite loses connection at exactly 26 and 56 minutes past the hour, every hour.

Good idea. WIll try that today and see what happens. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi satellite loses connection at exactly 26 and 56 minutes past the hour, every hour.

Try swapping the two satellites and see whether or not the problem follows the satellite.  It could be some sort of periodic RF interference local to the problem satellite.

Message 2 of 5
JE_CLT
Aspirant

Good idea. WIll try that today and see what happens. Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
JE_CLT
Aspirant

You hit the nail on the head.  Swapping the satellites proved the issue was not the device but soemething in that location.  So, it turns out that we are on the Nielsen ratings program and we have this hairball of transmision devices right next to the computer. I turned all of that off and the satellite did not lose connection for a couple of hours. As soon as I plugged the Nielsen boxes back up, like clockwork at exatly 26 and 56 minutes the satellite loss connection.  Thanks for the idea to test this.  This has probably been happening for months now and have not noticed or it is possible that a more recent firmware update on the Orbi may have made it more succeptible to the RF interference. In any case, I know what the trigger is so will be dealing with that. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Good to hear you got it solved. WiFi is very complex and these issues can be very hard to pinpoint.

This is just one example where the problem had nothing to do with Orbi and was related to RF interference or another device in the home.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7