Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite not connencting with router properly

NiekG
Follower

Orbi satellite not connencting with router properly

Hello, about a year ago we have purchased a orbi rbr50v2 including 2 satellites and a router.

For about a year it worked fine but right now the connection between the satellites and router is falling.

When activating a satellite and syncing them they connect based on the colors in the app. Sometimes they are purple, sometimes green and ever so often orange. But after a few minutes of being connected the internet stops working. On a laptop it says connected but no internet connection with a yellow triangle next to the wifi icon.

We have tried resetting, restarting, changing location but it doesn't work. 

The router is connected via a cable in the wall, between the router and satellite is a distance of about 6 - 7 meters. The wall outlet next to the satellites is not occupied and they are standing up straight. 

We don't know what else we can do to make sure we have a internet connection in house. Also the cabled internet isn't working either. It seems that there is just no internet coming from the satellites. When we are down staires and connected to the router instead of a satellite the internet does work.

I hope somebody knows a solution or has any suggestions.

Stay healthy,

Niek

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite not connencting with router properly

I would be useful to know the firmware release on the router and satellites.

Does the laptop function correctly when plugged directly into the router with an ethernet cable and over WiFi?

(not using the satellite)

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite not connencting with router properly

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

@NiekG wrote:

Hello, about a year ago we have purchased a orbi rbr50v2 including 2 satellites and a router.

For about a year it worked fine but right now the connection between the satellites and router is falling.

When activating a satellite and syncing them they connect based on the colors in the app. Sometimes they are purple, sometimes green and ever so often orange. But after a few minutes of being connected the internet stops working. On a laptop it says connected but no internet connection with a yellow triangle next to the wifi icon.

We have tried resetting, restarting, changing location but it doesn't work. 

The router is connected via a cable in the wall, between the router and satellite is a distance of about 6 - 7 meters. The wall outlet next to the satellites is not occupied and they are standing up straight. 

We don't know what else we can do to make sure we have a internet connection in house. Also the cabled internet isn't working either. It seems that there is just no internet coming from the satellites. When we are down staires and connected to the router instead of a satellite the internet does work.

I hope somebody knows a solution or has any suggestions.

Stay healthy,

Niek

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7