Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite won't reconnect to Orbi router, only appears as a Device

Orbiless
Aspirant

Orbi satellite won't reconnect to Orbi router, only appears as a Device

Pls help if u can...

I set up a new Orbi system in half hour in Access Point mode, no problems, satellite connected straight up, internet connection all good, awesome performance.

Then, last thing I accepted the Firmware update for the Router (from V1.4.0.18 to V1.12.0.18). There didn't appear to be one for the Satellite.

After the update, Satellite would not connect to router. Even in manual update tab, the Satellite now does not appear in the list of connected satellites, but does appear under Connected Devices. So although I now have the update firmware load file on the desktop I can't select the Satellite from the online or manual update tabs to apply the update to it. Even after rolling back to the old firmware version, the satellite still does not appear.

After 2 hrs with Support trying resets and updates, I have to send it back to vendor for replacement. I don't think it is a hardware issue, the router and satellite worked fine until the update, it looks like a config or firmware problem that should be fixable by config or update, not physical replacement? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi satellite won't reconnect to Orbi router, only appears as a Device

Hello orbiless

You can run into issues if the main router is on a different FW version than the satellites.  You want to update the satellites before the router.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9

so if you can see the sat in the attached device list get its ip address and enter it into your browser address window , this should open the sats web gui and you can choose to update the firmware from there

Message 3 of 9
Orbiless
Aspirant

Thank you.

I see that - I figure that this is where the problem started... at the time I accepted the update for the router, there werre no available udates showing for the satellite. I thought it was odd, but since I couldn't see any updated firmware versions for the satellite I went with the update for the router thinking that there may not be parallel updates ech time and if there were satellite updates this may bring them up. Bad choice. Lessson learned.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 9
Orbiless
Aspirant

Thank you. This was one of the solutions we tried with the Support team by phone, but for some reason, entering the listed IP address into the browser only opens my browser home page (internet explorer 11). Tried this multiple times, with same result each time. I suspect that if we could open the web gui it would have been a fix, that's where we were trying to get to. Thanks again. 

Message 5 of 9

did you try with a different browser

Message 6 of 9
Orbiless
Aspirant

Only on IE11 and google. Same result each time.

Thans for the suggestion. 

Message 7 of 9
Orbiless
Aspirant

@Orbiless wrote:

Thank you.

I see that - I figure that this is where the problem started... at the time I accepted the update for the router, there werre no available udates showing for the satellite. I thought it was odd, but since I couldn't see any updated firmware versions for the satellite I went with the update for the router thinking that there may not be parallel updates ech time and if there were satellite updates this may bring them up. Bad choice. Lessson learned.

OK, so here's then next instalment... after sending back the first set to my vendor as Support directed, I received a replacement set and commissioned them per instructions. Superb! total success, everything works. I noted that they were not on the latest firmware version but left it alone and did not update firmare, went to bed happy. 

Overnight, auto firmare update happened, with no involvement from me.

Now I'm back to where I was, Satellite is only a connected device. But I now see that Satellite IS at same software version as Router, however same problem: Satellite does not connect to router as a Satellite, so no WiFi extension.

So this is clearly not due to me updating Router firmware before Satellite.

Message 8 of 9
Orbiless
Aspirant

OK, after getting a replacemen t set, which auto-updated overnight, downloaded Firefox browser and tried that. It worked! but told me that both Satellite and Router are updated to the same firmware version. I even reloaded the current firmware version to the Satellite to make sure it got the picture, but still no difference: Satellite is impotent  - only appears as a connected device and not a Satellite. Thanks for the suggesntion, but no win here.

Still Orbiless. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7