Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellites do not connect anymore

Datoeter
Aspirant

Orbi satellites do not connect anymore

Hi All,

Till yesterday my Orbi's worked fine, i have two indoor satellites and one outdoor satellite. Now i seems that the router cannot connect with the satellites. I tried rebooting, manual syncing etc. When i login into the router i see on the home page under satellite 2 (the outdoor is not connected right now). But in my app i can't find them. the network map shows for all satellites maganta. 

Do anyone have any sugestons?

The firmware is:2.3.5.30 for the indoor.

For the outdoor it is: 2.3.5.32. 

I tried updating new firmeware, there seems to be no new firmware.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
Datoeter
Aspirant

Re: Orbi satellites do not connect anymore

Hi all,

I returnened the Orbi set and got a new set. The old set was faulty. I connected the new set, there were no problems.

Thank you all for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 27

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You may want to look again at your FW source.  Most FW chasers report that the number on the FW is the same for both the Orbi router and Sat.

Message 2 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and ALL RBS. Bring the RBS near the RBR and try to add them, 1 at a time. 6-10feet. 

Let us know if this works, if so, then place the RBS back in there remote locations. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a factory reset on the RBR and ALL RBS. Bring the RBS near the RBR and try to add them, 1 at a time. 6-10feet. 

Let us know if this works, if so, then place the RBS back in there remote locations. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

any comment on the FW numbers??

Message 4 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

RBSY FW version will differ from RBR/RBS. Depending upon the mode. Most recent version doesn't match up with RBR/RBS. Doesn't seem to keep in line with RBR/RBS versions. Just as long as the RBSY is using the latest version available. 

RBR/RBS has v2.5.1.8 for manual update if they choose to manually update here. 

Message 5 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's right...the OP has the OUTDOOR device.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 27
Datoeter
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for you're response. I will try it now.The factory reset, where can i find that option? Or is it the little hole in the back of eache device?

Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, press the reset button on each device for 15 seconds then release. 

Message 8 of 27
Datoeter
Aspirant

Well i tried two times, first in unplugged all the sats. Next i plugged one sat in. I did a reset on both the router and the sat and waited till both came up and the sat was solid white. 

Next i tried to add a sat with the web interface of the router, pressed the sync button on the sat and then in the web interface.

The sat turns solid blue, buth i cannot seem to find it in the app or in the web interface.

The result was both times not ok, no sat was added.

Futhermore i notched something strange, see the picture (5 G Kanaal (channel), this seems off right?) After a reboot it sayed the same (strange charachters).

Any other sugesstions?

Message 9 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What region are you located? 

Yes those odd characters should not be there. 

What browser are you using? Does this happen in IE11, Firefox or Opera? 

Does the RBS appear in the list of connected devices at all on the RBRs web page? 

Message 10 of 27
Datoeter
Aspirant

Hi,

Im located in the Netherlands and i'm using Chrome.

The sat is shown in the devices list on 2.4 Ghz. I't seems that i don't have any 5 Ghz connected. Which is strange since i do have those devices, some of theme are in close range.

Any sugestions? 

Kind regards,

Roy

Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen in IE11, Firefox or Opera? 

Does the RBS appear in the list of connected devices at all on the RBRs web page? 

Message 12 of 27
Datoeter
Aspirant

Hi,

Tested it on Firefox and on IE, there there also strange charactes.

I do see the  RBS in the list of connected device (2.4 Ghz). But not under satellites. Could it be that the 5 Ghz is defect?

Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, does it list an IP address for the RBS under connected devices? if so, can you access the RBS web page in a web browser? Log in should admin and the PW given on the RBR or if that doesn't work, try >password<. 

If you can gain access to the RBSs web page, I would manually re-load the FW file from NG support site. Download the FW file and unpack it and send the unpacked file to the RBS, if it takes, let the RBS process it, then press the reset button on the RBS for 15 seconds then hit the sync button on the RBR then RBS and see if it will sync correctly and see if these odd characters go away. If they don't and the RBS doesn't seem to work correctly, I presume the RBS is faulty at this point and needs to be replaced. 

Does this happen for just one RBS or for all of them? 

Message 14 of 27
Datoeter
Aspirant

Hi,

It is all of the RBS. So i think the problem is the RBR, i think the router might be faulty. What do you think?

I see no device connected to the 5Ghz, could it be defective? If a device is connected to the 2.4 Ghz then the 5 Ghz is used to connect to the router? From RBS to RBR?

With kind regards

Message 15 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I would manually re-load the FW file from NG support site to the RBR using Opera or IE11 or FF. Download the FW file and unpack it and send the unpacked file to the RBR, let the RBR process it, then press the reset button on the RBR for 15 seconds then hit the sync button on the RBR then RBS and see if it will sync correctly and see if these odd characters go away. If they don't and the RBR doesn't seem to work correctly, I presume the RBR is faulty at this point and needs to be replaced. 

Message 16 of 27
Datoeter
Aspirant

Hi all,

I returnened the Orbi set and got a new set. The old set was faulty. I connected the new set, there were no problems.

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 27
SnorkyMN
Aspirant

Hi.   My satellite seems to be dropping daily, after working well for quite a while.   Possibly the problem started after the last firmware update.   I don't see anything in the normal logs that shows a drop, but my wife is using connections through there and it seems to die randomly.   Sometimes it dies when I use a cordless phone near the base, which is on a 5.8GHz connection.   But sometimes it just randomly drops her network connection briefly.     I'm not exactly sure where to try the new channel for 5GHz for the connection between the Orbi and Satellite.   I've looked through menus, but have not seen anything obvious.     The status usually shows "Good" for the connection to the Satellite.     The Orbi is upstairs in one corner of the house, the other downstairs on the opposite side of the house.  Maybe 15-20 steps if I were to go through walls.   Router Firmware Version   V2.3.5.30, also the RBS50 is same version.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Other 5Ghz devices can effecit Orbis Wifi like your phone. Not much can be done about the phone. Might find a different phone that works on a different frequency. Like 900Mhz. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@SnorkyMN wrote:

Hi.   My satellite seems to be dropping daily, after working well for quite a while.   Possibly the problem started after the last firmware update.   I don't see anything in the normal logs that shows a drop, but my wife is using connections through there and it seems to die randomly.   Sometimes it dies when I use a cordless phone near the base, which is on a 5.8GHz connection.   But sometimes it just randomly drops her network connection briefly.     I'm not exactly sure where to try the new channel for 5GHz for the connection between the Orbi and Satellite.   I've looked through menus, but have not seen anything obvious.     The status usually shows "Good" for the connection to the Satellite.     The Orbi is upstairs in one corner of the house, the other downstairs on the opposite side of the house.  Maybe 15-20 steps if I were to go through walls.   Router Firmware Version   V2.3.5.30, also the RBS50 is same version.

Message 20 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Datoeter wrote:

Hi all,

Amazing.....

Message 21 of 27
SnorkyMN
Aspirant

If you read my note, I have no idea where to set the channel between the Orbi and its satellite.   It is probably only 30 feet away as the crow flies.   (though a door and wall in the way, though one is upstairs, the other downstairs)     Orbi is attached to Arris sgb6580 for internet traffic.    I am attached to the Orbi directly and never lose connection, it's only through the Satellite that the connection drops.   Almost always when I am on the handheld phone, and then sometimes just randomly.     is there a log to find out why it's dropping?     There are WiFi neighbors, as I'm in a townhome.    When I watch and refresh, the Backhaul status always says Good.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. You set this on the RBRs web page using a web browser. 

If you do have near by wifi neighbors you can try this as well, set the power levels of the RBR from 100% to 75 or 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also factory rest the RBS and see if it will resync it self. Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. May need to press the sycn button on both RBR and RBS it the RBS doesn't auto sync itself. 

@SnorkyMN wrote:

If you read my note, I have no idea where to set the channel between the Orbi and its satellite.   It is probably only 30 feet away as the crow flies.   (though a door and wall in the way, though one is upstairs, the other downstairs)     Orbi is attached to Arris sgb6580 for internet traffic.    I am attached to the Orbi directly and never lose connection, it's only through the Satellite that the connection drops.   Almost always when I am on the handheld phone, and then sometimes just randomly.     is there a log to find out why it's dropping?     There are WiFi neighbors, as I'm in a townhome.    When I watch and refresh, the Backhaul status always says Good.

Message 23 of 27
SnorkyMN
Aspirant

The arris is not routing, and is already in bridge mode and is not doing any routing or wifi or anything else.

"

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. You set this on the RBRs web page using a web browser. "

Yes, and I ask again, where am I supposed to set this going to the satellite?        There are tons of tabs and areas for settings and I don't see anything specific for going to the satellite.  (Which is talking on 5GHz)

Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

You only set channels on the RBR. The RBS doesn't set channels it will follow and connect to what ever the RBR is using. 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7