Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi set up use AP or Router Mode?

ingram_Ohawe
Follower

Orbi set up use AP or Router Mode?

I am new to this forum and have a basic understanding of networking and wifi at best.

I have just purchased an Orbi RBK50 system to improve coverage around a three story property.

I have a VDLS modem/router (Huawei HG695) which currently has a WD Cloud NAS drive and printer attached.

I am wanting advise on if it is best to leave the NAS drive and printer attached to current Modem/router (switch off Wifi)  and set Orbi up in AP mode or Bridge the modem and used Orbi in router mode. I guess the NAS drive and printer with then need to be connected to the Orbi Router.

Any advise appreciated.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: Orbi set up use AP or Router Mode?

ingram_Ohawe wrote:.

I am wanting advise on if it is best to leave the NAS drive and printer attached to current Modem/router (switch off Wifi)  and set Orbi up in AP mode or Bridge the modem and used Orbi in router mode. I guess the NAS drive and printer with then need to be connected to the Orbi Router.

Any advise appreciated.

its reall a case of one or the other and which of the gui's and feature sets is most useful to you

if the Huawei HG695 does everything you need it to do as a router and its performance apart from wifi is adaquate its a simple matter of putting the orbi in AP mode and just disabling the Huawei HG695 wifi

i dont know the Huawei HG695 but if its gui and performance arnt so great then yes bridge it and run the orbi in router mode

ether way will work fine and it just depends on your preference in gui and feature set as its not like you can ditch the Huawei HG695 all together anyway

perhaps run it both ways and see which you prefer

------------------------

yes if you run it in bridge moden and orbi in router mode everything need to connect to or behind the orbi router or sats/s

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

@ingram_Ohawe wrote:

I am new to this forum and have a basic understanding of networking and wifi at best.

I have just purchased an Orbi RBK50 system to improve coverage around a three story property.

I have a VDLS modem/router (Huawei HG695) which currently has a WD Cloud NAS drive and printer attached.

Any advise appreciated.

I use my Orbi in AP mode and it works great. The main reason I do this is because I need to use a third-party router with IPSEC VPN. I also have a DSL modem in bridged mode.  If your current router does what you need, I would recommend you use Orbi in AP mode.

Message 2 of 3

ingram_Ohawe wrote:.

Any advise appreciated.

its reall a case of one or the other and which of the gui's and feature sets is most useful to you

if the Huawei HG695 does everything you need it to do as a router and its performance apart from wifi is adaquate its a simple matter of putting the orbi in AP mode and just disabling the Huawei HG695 wifi

i dont know the Huawei HG695 but if its gui and performance arnt so great then yes bridge it and run the orbi in router mode

ether way will work fine and it just depends on your preference in gui and feature set as its not like you can ditch the Huawei HG695 all together anyway

perhaps run it both ways and see which you prefer

------------------------

yes if you run it in bridge moden and orbi in router mode everything need to connect to or behind the orbi router or sats/s

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7