Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi setting totally different IP address RBR50

krons
Aspirant

Orbi setting totally different IP address RBR50

Okay, so my Orbi will randomly set IP address of 192.168.107.X.. I actually decided to reset my Lan Starting IP Address to 172.16.1.X and its still setting the 192x for certain devices!!!!  Im poking my eyes out trying to figure out the issue... any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi setting totally different IP address RBR50

Could you please identify specifically which Orbi model this is and the exact firmware release?

Would help if you could make a screen shot of the Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup parameters.

(mine are attached as an example)

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

My (limited) experience with the Orbi DHCP process is that it seems to defer much too often to devices which ask to "renew" an existing IP address.  "Sure", it says, "go ahead and keep that address."  When the correct response (in MY view) is, "Nope.  Sorry.  My LAN reservation table says you are supposed to use THIS address."

For example, sometimes I get a new gizmo and decide, "it's a keeper.  I'll assign it an address."  Do so, reboot the device and it gets the same damn IP it had before.

Are you 100% certain that none of these devices have a "static" IP?

Message 3 of 17
krons
Aspirant

CrimpOn.. thanks for the reply.. its the RBR50 with firmware V2.3.5.30 (should be the latest, per the interface)

also see Lan PNG

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 17
krons
Aspirant

Thats what i thougth as well.. but no, no hard coded IP.

its just really odd and cant figure it out..

Message 5 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Seems pretty clear.  Any device which does DHCP "should" get one of these addresses.

One trick I have used (sorry, not "trick", I mean "procedure") is to turn off the offending device.  Take some other device and set it up with a static IP address matching the one that is "stuck".  Then, once the new device is on the network, power up the offending device.  THIS TIME, it asks to renew the IP address and gets told, "Absolutely NOT.  That is a 'duplicate IP' and you MUST use THIS ONE."

I actually have an old cell phone that I use specifically for this.

Message 6 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@krons wrote:

CrimpOn.. thanks for the reply.. its the RBR50 with firmware V2.3.5.30 (should be the latest, per the interface)

also see Lan PNG

Actually, 2.3.5.30 is the last "stable" release from summer, 2019.  There actually is firmware released in January, 2020 that appears to be stable (2.5.1.8).  It can be found at https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download There are some minor bug fixes, but the BIG NEWS is that it fixed a horrible mess that Netgear made in Sept-Oct when they released some firmware that totally hosed the device naming business.  I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with this issue.  I updated to 2.5.1.8 and have had no problems.

Message 7 of 17
krons
Aspirant

So... the router is setting the wifi address on rebot... I have to renew over and over again until i get the 172.. vs 192.... FYI.. not internet conneciton with those users with a 192..

i can renew and release to get the right IP, but doing this everytime is not a great process. Example - i have the right address when i leave the house 172... come back home and phone reconnects and gets a 192...

Message 8 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

There are enormous posts on the forum about Netgear's "Firmware Update Fiasco", which you can browse through if you want entertainment.  2.5.1.8 is entirely optional.

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

With a cell phone, I would be tempted to have the phone "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then search for available WiFi and connect again.  (enter password again).

Have you powered the satellite off and back on after changing the LAN settings?

Message 10 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Actually, power everything "Orbi" off and back on.

You probably see where we are headed..... the dreaded "Factory Reset".  Most users have to pretty desparate to go through the entire setup process again from scratch.  BUT, when absolutely everything else has been tried, there is nothing left but Reset.

Message 11 of 17
krons
Aspirant

yeah, the phone "forget" is the only way to do it..

and yes, i have powered it up and down a few times.

im going to try and install the new firware..

p

Message 12 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Save the configuration file first.  Usually, the Orbi comes up after a firmware update and "just works". But...this is sort of like "measuring twice".

Message 13 of 17
krons
Aspirant

that didnt work either..

back to square one....

Message 14 of 17
krons
Aspirant

So, i think I found the issue... Maybe.. Looks like the ADT Router (which they provided) was pushing IP as well..Working through things now..

Message 15 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@krons wrote:

So, i think I found the issue... Maybe.. Looks like the ADT Router (which they provided) was pushing IP as well..Working through things now..

Well, duh.  This is NOT GOOD.  And also, a pretty "dim bulb" trying to help and not asking what the Orbi was connected to and if it assigned IP's as well.

Do they have the same WiFi name?

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/What-s-the-Difference-Between-a-Cable-Modem-an...
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

One reason why I ask "What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? " first thing when responding in posts. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7