Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi setting up backhaul with spectrum

gegger
Aspirant

Orbi setting up backhaul with spectrum

my system Spectrum internet with Arris TM1602A MTA cable modem.  RBR50 RBS50 and an RBS40

I am trying to get a morfe stable system and am looking at setting up wired backhaul with the orbi.  can be very confusing... What settings for the orbi do I need to set in the advanced setup section.  I have updated to the latest 2.3 firmware.  do ineed to setup any thing different with the Arris.  Today the orbi is set to router mode should i be in AP>?  all suggestions appreciated thanks gegger

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

The ISP Modem is a modem only so the Orbi can run in router mode. 

A recommended way is to use the Orbi Base routers web page to help setup satellites using a connected PC and web browser.

Do the following in the same room as the Orbi base router:

When connecting the satellites via wired back haul, connect 1 satellite first via wireless, then once you get the BLUE led on top of the satellite, connect the LAN cable between the satellite and Orbi router. Wait for up to 5 minutes for the top LED to turn BLUE. Once this is done, do a IP address reservation for the satellite ON the Orbi router. Save and apply.

Connect all follow on satellites using the above method.

Once all is connected and running. Place satellites in remote locations with there LAN cable connected and turn ON.
Be sure that Daisy Chain is disabled on the RBR when you have the satellites connected.

@gegger wrote:

my system Spectrum internet with Arris TM1602A MTA cable modem.  RBR50 RBS50 and an RBS40

I am trying to get a morfe stable system and am looking at setting up wired backhaul with the orbi.  can be very confusing... What settings for the orbi do I need to set in the advanced setup section.  I have updated to the latest 2.3 firmware.  do ineed to setup any thing different with the Arris.  Today the orbi is set to router mode should i be in AP>?  all suggestions appreciated thanks gegger

Message 2 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you were able to get this setup. 

@gegger wrote:

Message 3 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

I’ll be working on it this weekend  have to fish a couple cat 6 cables.   What about a static ISP for router an satellites - regardless I will report back

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@gegger wrote:

Message 4 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

I use static IPs for all of my satellites -- and those are .7, .8 and .9.  My DHCP range starts at .10

Works very well.  You will enjoy that wired backhaul.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use reserved IPs for satellites ON the router. Static isn't supported ON the satelites themselves. Reserved IPs is recommended for satellites. Keeps them connected at a particular IP. 

@gegger wrote:

I’ll be working on it this weekend  have to fish a couple cat 6 cables.   What about a static ISP for router an satellites - regardless I will report back

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@gegger wrote:

Message 6 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

One more question since I’m running hardwire this weekend, any preferences for running cable from router to individual satellites or daisy cahin from router to one satellite and connect the last satellite off it
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend each satelllite connect directly to the base router. You can connect them daisy chain wired I believe, however if the in between satellite happens to experienece problems, this may effect the down stream satellite. So I would avoid this possibilty by direct connect each satellite to the base router for independent operation. 

Message 8 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

One last question I’m tech inclined but this is new to me.  So I set up backhaul do you reccomend static ip for the router and the satellites.  If so what do I use for the ip.  Do i set the ip prior to syncing the satellites 

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets use IP address reservation. This would be set ON the router after the satellite(s) have been connected to the base and are up and running. You can use what the router assigns to the satellite after they are connected. 

Static IP addressing is set ON devices and involves being out side the routers IP address pool. 

These are general normal networking nomenclature. 

Message 10 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Chuck_M wrote:

I use static IPs for all of my satellites -- and those are .7, .8 and .9.  My DHCP range starts at .10

I meant reserved IPs.... Not Static.  My bad.

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

"We come for your daughter Chuck!" LOL 

Smiley Tongue

@Chuck_M wrote:

@Chuck_M wrote:

I meant reserved IPs.... Not Static.  My bad.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if there is another disconnect again after the factory reset and setup from scratch.

Has the ISP modem and RBR been powered OFF for 1 minuted then modem back ON then power ON the RBR? 

Message 13 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

yes I unplugged for at least a minute and did the sequence modem power up followed by router

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

ok, Lets see what happens since you've done a reset and setup.

When you updated FW, did you reset and setup again or just apply and continue wiht out a reset? 

Message 15 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

i did a full reset and setup

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets track this and see how far it goes. 

Haven't seen anyone else with issues with the ISP modem since v32. Mostly configuration issues and wifi speeds. 

If anything, can revert to v210. Smiley Frustrated

Message 17 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

bacul is wired and running - still need to setup reserved ip address  for the router and satelittes.  erlier you said to turn resrve IP on i can find it give me soe guidance thanks

Message 18 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

BAck haul set up everthing seem to be fine, then router shut down.  did a factory reset got it back up.  still need to reserve the ip address.  still undure where i go to reserve an ip

Message 19 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

Ran ok for two hours this morning the. The router turned magenta - and I’m done with it- set up backhaul an thought problems were solved- but unfortunately I can’t rely on the instability of this system. My wife has a home based business an needs internet. I’m throwing it in a box, a damned exp lesson, putting old reliable google WiFi back in till I have confidence in a better system thanks for your help. I think your fighting a losing battle till Netgear gets their bugs fixed.
Message 20 of 21
gegger
Aspirant

an update ic ould never get teh routher to hook up.  I factory reset, looked at setting up as a new system and nothing its now piled up with the RBS50 and the now useless RBS40.  I have reinstalled google wifi, speeds are slower but every thing that needs speed is is direct connect _ at least im stable

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7