Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi setup as Router or AP?

TomiPhone
Follower

Orbi setup as Router or AP?

Hi there,
Just purchased the Orbi and was wondering what the best setup is? I have a Ziggo modem/router. Should I setup the Orbi as router (Ziggo in bridge mode) or as AP?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi setup as Router or AP?

There is no right or wrong answer.  If you like your Ziggo's router features, then use Orbi in AP mode.  If your Ziggo modem/router has bridge mode, then you have the option to use Orbi in router mode. I use my Orbi in AP mode because I have another router with better routing features and no WiFi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

There is no right or wrong answer.  If you like your Ziggo's router features, then use Orbi in AP mode.  If your Ziggo modem/router has bridge mode, then you have the option to use Orbi in router mode. I use my Orbi in AP mode because I have another router with better routing features and no WiFi.

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@TomiPhone wrote:
Hi there,
Just purchased the Orbi and was wondering what the best setup is? I have a Ziggo modem/router. Should I setup the Orbi as router (Ziggo in bridge mode) or as AP?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

It depends on which device (Orbi or Ziggo) you think has better router functionality.

If you set Orbi in AP mode then you will not be able to benifit from Orbi features like DDNS, VPN, UPnP, Access Control/Circle, ...etc. If you think that you can get equivalent or better functionality from Ziggo then set Orbi in AP mode, otherwise Router Mode.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Sorry, did'nt see that @st_shaw already replied. I think both replies have the same meaning 🙂

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7