Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi setup (no internet)

thedellis
Guide

Orbi setup (no internet)

Ok, this is frustrating as hell. I have tried nearly everything I have seen on here and yet the Orbi still says no Internet. If I plug my old router in it goes through first time. Before anyone asks, I have entered correct PPPoE information as required.

I have also:

* Ensured the modem was off for the initial installation
* Tried spoofing the original router's Mac Address
* Reset everything to defaults many times
* Used different cables
* Moved ports on modem from LAN 1 to LAN 4 as suggested
* Upgraded to the latest firmware and run through all steps again.

This is my second day of trying to get the Orbi working. I'm frustrated beyond belief, and am ready to return it to the store.

Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Use the Orbi in access point mode with your existing router.  Turn off the WiFi radios on your existing router.

Message 2 of 9
thedellis
Guide

Hi, I should have mentioned that I am trying to replace my exisiting router with the Orbi, so all of the steps above were performed with my exisiting router switched off and/or unplugged from the modem. 

Message 3 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Yes, but it sounds like you cannot use Orbi as your router, perhaps due requirements of your ISP.  

The benefit of Orbi is in WiFi coverage--not advanced routing features.  Unless you have some compelling reason to replace your router with Orbi, just use Orbi for WiFi and keep your existing router.

Why exactly are you trying to replace your existing router with Orbi?

Message 4 of 9
thedellis
Guide

Well actually it was more for the increased WiFi functionality, but let me try it as an AP plugged into my exisiting router and see if that works. 

To be honest though, the Orbi is a wifi router, but it seems that a lot of people on this forum are having a hell of a time getting to to act like one. 

Message 5 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Make sure you disable the WiFi on your existing router too.  

You shouldn't worry about problems other people are having on this forum until you have issues yourself.  There are far more people who have zero problems--they just aren't on here posting about their lack of problems.

Message 6 of 9
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

I'm far from an expert here but I wanted Orbi to be a router and additional wifi coverage so that I didn't add to the number of boxes sat on the shelf... It should be both, surely...?

Message 7 of 9
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Hi thedellis, if you get this working, i'd be very keen to hear how please. I think we are facing the same issue. My fibe connection is provided by TM.

Message 8 of 9
thedellis
Guide

Ok, I got it working in AP mode plugged into my existing router. Sort of belies the point of getting the Orbi, really, but at least the WiFi is stronger throughout the house. 

To SDJ, I too have TM Fiber and have had no issues using other routers with Tomato or stock firmware, only the Orbi fails. Quite dissapointing considering the cost, but I'll use it only as access point for now.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7