Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi setup question - wired backhaul

chrisc-uk
Aspirant

Orbi setup question - wired backhaul

Hi,

I am looking at moving over to the Orbi mesh system and I was wondering if I could cut down on my wiring in my property by utilising a wired backhaul into the satelites then using the additional ports as wired commections.

My plan is currently

Modem
\/
Router / Firewall
\/
Master Orbi unit
Port 1 --> mesh unit 1
Port 2 --> mesh unit 2
Port 3 --> switch

Mesh unit 1
Port 1 --> Master Orbi unit
Port 2 --> lan device 1
Port 3 --> lan device 2
Port 4 --> lan device 3

Mesh unit 2
Port 1 --> Master Orbi unit
Port 2 --> lan device 1
Port 3 --> lan device 2
Port 4 --> lan device 3

My understanding is my existing modem will still work with my router and firewall. All DHCP will be handeled through the existing router and the Orbis will create the mesh. My concern is that the devices will work as either wireless links to each other then wired connections OR wired backhaul on one port and the other ports no longer work.

Could someone please clarify how the setup should theoretically work?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Meisaku
Aspirant

Re: Orbi setup question - wired backhaul

I recently replaced our two non-Orbi Netgear wireless routers (that were configured as access points) with an Orbi AC3000 setup (RBR50 + RBS50) with a wired backhaul between main router and satellite. Upstream from the Orbi router is another router/firewall and a fiber modem (much like in your network).

By default the Orbi is configured as a full-featured router, but the setup was intelligent enough to allocate a different ip range for the Orbi network (10.x vs our 192.x) so it was possible to access the admin webpage from a connected PC, and from there you just change the operating mode from Router to Access Point (see the support article).

The wired backhaul was detected and configured automatically using with one satellite, and I see no reason why it would there would be issues using two satellites. With latest firmwares you can also use daisy chaining, if it would be simpler to connect one satellite to another instead of wiring both directly to the router.

The connected client devices work just fine - you can plug them into the remaining ports or use wireless, and all wired clients of the satellite do indeed access the internet without any wireless hops if the backhaul is wired, just as one would expect.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Meisaku
Aspirant

I recently replaced our two non-Orbi Netgear wireless routers (that were configured as access points) with an Orbi AC3000 setup (RBR50 + RBS50) with a wired backhaul between main router and satellite. Upstream from the Orbi router is another router/firewall and a fiber modem (much like in your network).

By default the Orbi is configured as a full-featured router, but the setup was intelligent enough to allocate a different ip range for the Orbi network (10.x vs our 192.x) so it was possible to access the admin webpage from a connected PC, and from there you just change the operating mode from Router to Access Point (see the support article).

The wired backhaul was detected and configured automatically using with one satellite, and I see no reason why it would there would be issues using two satellites. With latest firmwares you can also use daisy chaining, if it would be simpler to connect one satellite to another instead of wiring both directly to the router.

The connected client devices work just fine - you can plug them into the remaining ports or use wireless, and all wired clients of the satellite do indeed access the internet without any wireless hops if the backhaul is wired, just as one would expect.

Message 2 of 3
chrisc-uk
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick reply on this. I will keep an eye on offers of the tripple packs and purchase as soon as possible. I hoped that they would be as intelligent as expected but technology doesn't always work like that so I was left kinda concerned.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7