Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi setup with ATT router, ethernet backhaul

stephentyler20
Aspirant

Orbi setup with ATT router, ethernet backhaul

I recently purchased this system, trying to eliminate dead spots and awkward wifi transitions in my home. I have an ATT 5268AC  modem/router, with Fiber. 

The plan: ATT gateway LAN -> Orbi Router (WAN). Orbi Router LAN Ethernet -> Satellite 1. Satellite 2 is wirelessly connected (house is not wired for ethernet, but I do have a direct ethernet cablet to the middle of the house where Satellite 1 is connected, so I want that to have ethernet backhaul). 

Since there's no way to disable / bypass the ATT router, I just connected it all up and followed the Orbi setup wizard. It recognized that the ATT router was there, but continued setup in router mode. I was able to wirelessly connect all 3 Orbi units, but as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable between the router and Sat 1, the whole network crashed. It basically just freaked out, and nothing worked. As soon as I unplugged it, it worked fine again wirelessly. 

Where I am now is the wireless seems to work pretty well all over the house. That's all well and good, but I have an ethernet connection to Satellite 1, and I'd like to use it. There's a lot of interference between the Orbi Router and Satellite 1, and I'm not confident it will work reliably in wireless mode. 

So a few questions: 

1. Is my setup appropriate? I've read about configuring the Orbi in AP mode, using DMZ on the ATT router, etc. Not sure whether/why I should do that if it's working now. Best I can tell, my current setup is that I have a router behind a router, using different IP networks. 

2. How can I make ethernet backhaul work without crashing the entire network? Again, I want one of the satellites to connect wirelessly, and the other to use the ethernet link. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have uverse fiber and use my orbi in AP mode but that isn't the issue.  Ethernet backhaul broke with the latest firmware release.  Some folks can get ethernet backhaul to work but there are lots of threads on the forum saying they can't get ethernet backhaul to work.  I spoke to technical support a few weeks ago and they said a new firmware is being worked on to fix ethernet backhaul.  Hopefully the firmware is coming out soon.  For now I'm using wifi back-haul with daisychain (not as fast as the ethernet back-haul used to be before the latest firmware broke the functionality but certainly much better than the zero signal I was getting from my AT&T RG)

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your gonig to use the Orbi router in router mode with the ISP router, then yes you should use the DMZ for the ORbi router. Input the IP address it gets from the modem and put this into the DMZ on the modem.

Any network switches in the mix? If so, mfr and model#?

@stephentyler20 wrote:

I recently purchased this system, trying to eliminate dead spots and awkward wifi transitions in my home. I have an ATT 5268AC  modem/router, with Fiber. 

The plan: ATT gateway LAN -> Orbi Router (WAN). Orbi Router LAN Ethernet -> Satellite 1. Satellite 2 is wirelessly connected (house is not wired for ethernet, but I do have a direct ethernet cablet to the middle of the house where Satellite 1 is connected, so I want that to have ethernet backhaul). 

Since there's no way to disable / bypass the ATT router, I just connected it all up and followed the Orbi setup wizard. It recognized that the ATT router was there, but continued setup in router mode. I was able to wirelessly connect all 3 Orbi units, but as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable between the router and Sat 1, the whole network crashed. It basically just freaked out, and nothing worked. As soon as I unplugged it, it worked fine again wirelessly. 

Where I am now is the wireless seems to work pretty well all over the house. That's all well and good, but I have an ethernet connection to Satellite 1, and I'd like to use it. There's a lot of interference between the Orbi Router and Satellite 1, and I'm not confident it will work reliably in wireless mode. 

So a few questions: 

1. Is my setup appropriate? I've read about configuring the Orbi in AP mode, using DMZ on the ATT router, etc. Not sure whether/why I should do that if it's working now. Best I can tell, my current setup is that I have a router behind a router, using different IP networks. 

2. How can I make ethernet backhaul work without crashing the entire network? Again, I want one of the satellites to connect wirelessly, and the other to use the ethernet link. 

Message 3 of 17
stephentyler20
Aspirant

I appreciate the info, sounds like I will also have to wait on the firmware update. Since part of my reason for having that dedicated Ethernet line was to feed my IP camera system, I may just connect the camera system (who's hub is located at the Satellite 1 location) directly into the ATT router via the Ethernet cable, to keep speeds up. I was hoping to plug the camera system into the Orbi satellite, and take advantage of the Ethernet backhaul for both.

Alternatively, I could easily return the whole system for a refund which is also tempting. Is there a comparable system that would have functional Ethernet backhaul and be a little more reliable? This firmware nonsense reaks of poor quality.
Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the ehternet back haul?

People do have working ethernet backhaul. Mines working. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 17
stephentyler20
Aspirant

Yes - I've tried it. That's the point of my post, I've tried it and it's not working. 

How is yours configured?

Message 6 of 17
timch
Luminary

My Ethernet backhaul is working fine.  I have my Orbi router in AP mode and one satellite wired to my ISP router (BT Smarthub) and another satellite connected wirelessly to the Orbi Router.  This setup has worked flawlessly for me on all (well since Ethernet backhaul was introduced) firmware drops and it sounds as if you could run the same approach. Don’t worry about DMZs, just use the Orbi in AP mode.

i have all the options, ie daisy chaining, mu-mimo, beam forming enabled and have never needed to factory reset.  

Message 7 of 17
stephentyler20
Aspirant

@timch wrote:

My Ethernet backhaul is working fine.  I have my Orbi router in AP mode and one satellite wired to my ISP router (BT Smarthub) and another satellite connected wirelessly to the Orbi Router.  This setup has worked flawlessly for me on all (well since Ethernet backhaul was introduced) firmware drops and it sounds as if you could run the same approach. Don’t worry about DMZs, just use the Orbi in AP mode.

i have all the options, ie daisy chaining, mu-mimo, beam forming enabled and have never needed to factory reset.  

Can you describe how you went about setting that all up? Did you do one router at a time? Any particular setting changing other than what you mentioned? You have the exact setup I'm going for, and for some reason my system wants to lose its mind as soon as ethernet gets involved.

Also is your modem connected to your Orbi router's WAN or LAN port? I'm finding a lot of conflicting information as to which port to connect to when in AP mode.

Message 8 of 17
st_shaw
Master

If your one Ethernet drop is central to your house I would look at doing the following:

Put a switch at the end of the Ethernet drop, in the center of your house.

Plug your camera system into the switch.

Plug your Orbi "router" into the switch. Yellow Inernet Port wired to the switch.

Run Orbi in AP mode.

Now you are using the Ethernet for your WiFi "backhaul" and for your camera system, and you have the Orbi "router" in the center of your house, where it can get good wireless connection to the satellites.

Message 9 of 17
stephentyler20
Aspirant

@st_shaw wrote:

If your one Ethernet drop is central to your house I would look at doing the following:

Put a switch at the end of the Ethernet drop, in the center of your house.

Plug your camera system into the switch.

Plug your Orbi "router" into the switch. Yellow Inernet Port wired to the switch.

Run Orbi in AP mode.

Now you are using the Ethernet for your WiFi "backhaul" and for your camera system, and you have the Orbi "router" in the center of your house, where it can get good wireless connection to the satellites.

That's a great suggestion! I do appreciate it. I will consider doing that, although it still troubles me a bit that the Orbi (satellite or router) that's right adjacent to the hardline internet is going to be using a wireless signal. I would think it'd be better if both the router and satellite were hardwired, no? Ultimately, I was planning to run another Cat 5e cable to the second satellite (once I make sure I'm going to keep this arrangement). Now I'm not sure that would even work...

Message 10 of 17
st_shaw
Master

@stephentyler20 wrote:

That's a great suggestion! I do appreciate it. I will consider doing that, although it still troubles me a bit that the Orbi (satellite or router) that's right adjacent to the hardline internet is going to be using a wireless signal. I would think it'd be better if both the router and satellite were hardwired, no? 

I'm not sure what the concern is here.  You said you have one Ethernet cable.  You connect the end of the cable to the Orbi "router" and you put your satellites 30-40 feet away, at other ends of the house. Yes, the Orbi router is using a wireless signal--to connect with your client devices and to connect to the satellites.  But, the Orbi router is using the wire to connect to your router and the Internet.

This setup makes the most of Orbi.  The strength of Orbi is the wireless backhaul and the ability to cover your house without having to run wires. If you want a wired system, a set of wired access points is a better solution than Orbi.

Message 11 of 17
timch
Luminary

Well I do think that the idea of putting the Orbi Router at the other end of the ethernet cable is a great idea and I don't see why you need a switch as you can just comnnect the cameras to one of the other ethernet ports on the Orbi; if you can get the Orbi Router uin the centre of the house it will always work best so i would give this a go.

As to how I set mine up, I plugged an ethernet cable from my ISP router into the yellow port on my Orbi router.  I then connected my laptop to another ethernet port on the Orbi.  I used Orbilogin to get into the Orbi and selected AP mode. I got both of my setellites connected wirelessly whilst they were in the same room and then repositioned plugging in the ethernet cable for my wired satellite once I had it in the final position. Nothing more was required.

It does seem expected that you will cause problems if the satellite is wired to your ISP router and your Orbi is in router mode sicne the satellite will be wired to a different network than the Orbi one so it will never work as you currently have it set up.

Message 12 of 17
st_shaw
Master

You're right that the switch would not be needed as long as the Orbi router provided enough LAN ports.

Message 13 of 17
stephentyler20
Aspirant

Thanks all - I think you're right, this sounds like the better way to set up my house. 

I'm going to try this:

- Orbi Router RBR50 in the center of the house, in AP Mode, with Ethernet from cable modem connecting into the WAN / Yellow port on the RBR50. Cameras will be connected directly to the Orbi router LAN ports (I only need 2).

- Orbi Satellite RBS50 x 2 at opposite ends of the house, as a wireless connect.

Since I've found that things seem to go haywire whenever I start messing with settings, I'll probably do a hard reset when I go to set up the system this way. Then I'll set all 3 up in the same physical space as others have suggested. 

I'll post back with results.

Message 14 of 17
stephentyler20
Aspirant

So I set up this configuration, and it seems to be working OK. Internet speeds are a little slower for some reason - around 250 down, 190 up (I did a speed test with my laptop connected to the ethernet line where the Orbi router is now plugged in, and got 320 down, 300 up). Perhaps the cameras being plugged into the Orbi router are slowing things down? Not really sure, but frankly it's a small difference that I can live with. 

So, I think I'll stick with this solution for the time being and see how it goes! The nice thing about this is it lets me position one of my Satellites a bit more optimally, since it doesn't have to be right next to the modem. Seems like a win. 

Message 15 of 17
st_shaw
Master

Sounds like it’s working well.  Those are decent speeds for WiFi. Around 220 is all I get on my MacBookPro because that’s all its WiFi can support. 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, do a speed test before you bring all other wifi items online. Cameras can cause some performance issues. Best to always test speeds before wireless devices go live.

@stephentyler20 wrote:

So I set up this configuration, and it seems to be working OK. Internet speeds are a little slower for some reason - around 250 down, 190 up (I did a speed test with my laptop connected to the ethernet line where the Orbi router is now plugged in, and got 320 down, 300 up). Perhaps the cameras being plugged into the Orbi router are slowing things down? Not really sure, but frankly it's a small difference that I can live with. 

So, I think I'll stick with this solution for the time being and see how it goes! The nice thing about this is it lets me position one of my Satellites a bit more optimally, since it doesn't have to be right next to the modem. Seems like a win. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7