Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi slow performance or Disney Circle

jaybytez
Aspirant

Orbi slow performance or Disney Circle

Just bought and have been running the Orbi RBK50 in a 2800 sq ft two story house for about a month now (one satellite upstairs).  The Orbi was an open box so I am passed the 90 day customer support.  I previously had an N900 router with a wireless extender which worked really well, but I wanted just a little faster performance and to simplify the SSIDs.

Currently I have about 21 devices connected to the mesh network and everything runs fairly smooth but websites like youtube perform terribly on laptops and they are slower than the older N900 router (there is buffering or noise distortion, etc)..  I have Xfinity and normally have 150 Mbps+ performance in the house (obviously peak times drops that to 75 Mbps or so).  But an amazed at how slow some of the attached devices are.  The Orbi iOS App shows that some devices are connect at as low as 26 Mbps.

I see it on my laptop, and my kids as well.  We are using the Disney Circle, I was using OpenDNS with the N900 router.

I have things checked like:

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

Enable MU-MIMO

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia settings)

Preamble Mode (Automatic)

Is there some kind of settings that I might be missing which would cause such slower performance?

Thanks...Jay

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi slow performance or Disney Circle

What FW do you have loaded? 

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? 

What channels are you using? Any other wifi neighbors near by? 

Disable the following and test:

Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming if you have these. Daisy Circle may impact performace nice it's a controlling application. Test with it disabled as well. 

Test with using ISP DNS as well. 

Message 2 of 3
rcmike
Aspirant

Re: Orbi slow performance or Disney Circle

Hi Jay,

I don't have an Orbi but I do have a Disney Circle on my network and experience intermittent slow performance on my network because of it.  The solution for now is to reboot Circle if you are seeing poor connection speeds; go into the Disney Circle app, click on Manage, then Reboot.   That should fix your issue.  Although your Circle is initially connected to your network via WiFi, I recommend connecting directly to your router via Ethernet for better performance after it has been set up.

Mike

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7