Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi slow wifi on 500Mb/s

dustinm20
Aspirant

Orbi slow wifi on 500Mb/s

So, I have had an Orbi for a couple of years now and I didn't notice this until recently, that I am only ever getting a franction of my bandwidth. I pay for a direct connection to my local fiber switch at my ISP. I get 500Mb/s when I wire straight into the wall. I have no issues ever the service has a 98% up time is never down or out. Recently I have noticed that my wireless speedtest have been AWFUL! I have been getting like 110-200 Mb/s down MAX. I never get over 200 anymore. Before continuing here is my setup:

• No modem directo to fiber switch
  • RBK50 v.1 (original version) with RBS50 and RBW30 (added after purchase)
  • I have tried the 20/40 coexistence (didn't work)
  • I have tried and tested on multiple occasions almost every channel available
  • I do have mu-mimo on
  • I don't have daisy chaining on
  • I do have implicit beamforming on
  • The satelites are within 30 feet of the router (I have measured)

I have read every forum and tried every settings setup I can find and still nothing better than 200 Mb/s at my best. I don't know if there is something wrong with my firmware or if the unit is possibly faulty, but I really need to get closer to the speeds I have been paying for or else Orbi is going to the dump. I can't figure it out.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5

Re: Orbi slow wifi on 500Mb/s

I am having a hard time understanding this message.

Can we cut it back to the main complaint?

@dustinm20 wrote:

Recently I have noticed that my wireless speedtest have been AWFUL! I have been getting like 110-200 Mb/s down MAX. I never get over 200 anymore.

If that is it, then your speeds are fine for many wifi clients.

Wifi is always going to be slower than wired. Speeds will also depend greatly on many factors, including the wifi clients and your local topography.

Can you take these "slow" devices somewhere else to see if they are a lot faster?

You are not going to get 500 Mbps as a wifi speed.

Message 2 of 5
dustinm20
Aspirant

The devices are all 802.11ac capable (Pixel 4XL, MacBook Pro 2017) and the test numbers are within a few feet of the router itself. I also know I'm not going to get max speed, but I would expect a little better than 20% of my speed from a wifi client. I also understand there is a theoretical and a real world speed difference. I don't have another 500Mb/s connection to test on, but when I test on any other network, I will get 50% or better of the speeds available on the same devices. My topography, I analyzed my topo extensively and I'm on a channel with very little noise I was getting (-27db)-(-35db) on my speed. I was getting little to no interference. So, I am just a little puzzled why I can't get more than 20-30% of my speed on average. That is the root issue. I didn't know if there was some type of settings I was overlooking or a bad firmware...idk.

Message 3 of 5
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

What firmware do you have on the RBR50 and RBS50?  If it has v2.5.0.x firmware, there have been reported issues of WiFi slowdowns and device naming issues with that release.  NG has released v2.5.1.8 to fix these issues, so you may need to manually update to it.  See https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50#download

@dustinm20 wrote:

So, I have had an Orbi for a couple of years now and I didn't notice this until recently, that I am only ever getting a franction of my bandwidth. I pay for a direct connection to my local fiber switch at my ISP. I get 500Mb/s when I wire straight into the wall. I have no issues ever the service has a 98% up time is never down or out. Recently I have noticed that my wireless speedtest have been AWFUL! I have been getting like 110-200 Mb/s down MAX. I never get over 200 anymore. Before continuing here is my setup:

• No modem directo to fiber switch
  • RBK50 v.1 (original version) with RBS50 and RBW30 (added after purchase)
  • I have tried the 20/40 coexistence (didn't work)
  • I have tried and tested on multiple occasions almost every channel available
  • I do have mu-mimo on
  • I don't have daisy chaining on
  • I do have implicit beamforming on
  • The satelites are within 30 feet of the router (I have measured)

I have read every forum and tried every settings setup I can find and still nothing better than 200 Mb/s at my best. I don't know if there is something wrong with my firmware or if the unit is possibly faulty, but I really need to get closer to the speeds I have been paying for or else Orbi is going to the dump. I can't figure it out.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
dustinm20
Aspirant

I am actually running 2.5.0.38 on my RBR and RBS. I will try this this afternoon when I get off work.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7