Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi slow wireless file copy speeds

JDTHIRD
Aspirant

Orbi slow wireless file copy speeds

New Orbi RBK50.  Replacing a Google Onhub I've used for several years.

I have a cloud NAS as well as an 8 bay Synology on my home network, and using my Dell Insprion XPS13 with the Google wireless router to copy files over the wireless to other devices on my network, I'd consistenly get at least 55MB/s but usually mid 70 MBs speeds. 

Loved it, worked great, but I wasn't getting a good signal in the other end of my house in my bedroom.  Often I'd have to turn the wireless off and on again for my iPad in my bedroom, or unplug / replug my Amazon Echo.  So I thought I'd try this.

Setup was simple, and all works.  It tests network speed from my ISP just fine, all my smart devices connected fine.

But file copies - wow.  My network connection status shows I'm at about the same connection speed as the Google would, 866 or so, but file copy speeds are in the 20's and 30's, compared to upper 50's through 70's. 

I saw other posts about trying to change settings for beamforming, MIMO, but nothing has made a difference.

I have no other wireless networks running here, the box from my ISP has wireless utterly disabled on it since I never used theirs, always used my own.

My new Dell with this crappy Killer network card disconnects several times a night from the Google Onhub.  I had to write a powershell script that disables and re-enables the hardware since the only way, short of a reboot, to get wireless working again was to go into device manager and disable the wireless adapter and then re-enable it.  I was tired of that, so wrote a batch file with the right commands so I could just right click that and “run as administrator” and do it quickly.  But it’s still annoying since it’ll interfere with downloads or file copes when it happens. 

The good news with the Orbi is that I haven’t had a single disconnect so far…

So I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the almost $300 just to save myself the trouble of right clicking a batch file on my desktop if the other side effect is a much, much slower network.

My radio on the laptop had power set to the highest setting and such as all part of the troubleshooting the disconnects from the Google wireless unit, so there’s no power saving going on with it or anything else…

Anyone have any ideas?  I got this from a local brick and mortar so I have 45 days to decide if I want to keep it or return it, so I thought it would be worth seeing if anyone had any similar experiences and had overcome them somehow.  My searching in this forum didn't give me anything to really go on other than the beamforming and such I mentioned trying already.

Thanks

John

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What are you wired copy speeds between two wired devices? 

Message 2 of 11
JDTHIRD
Aspirant

Fortunately I had enabled remote management, so I can check from work here.  Firmware is v2.3.1.60 and it showed no further updates available when I checked.  I didn't go to the web page though during setup to see if there was a newer version out that it was not able to see automatically.  Not sure what version it shipped with since during the initial install it did see a firmware update and updated itself during the process.

Switch is a Dlink gigabit DGS-1024A but if this was the cause of the issue I would not have expected to have had the speeds I had with the Google Onhub. 

Shouldn't matter what ISP modem is, that has nothing to do with my internal network speeds and nothing is being routed to it off of my local subnet for traffic internal only when I copy a file from my laptop to my NAS or my WD cloud storage or my Ryzen media center PC.  Although as a side note my internet speeds are fine and from the laptop I'm getting the 225 Mb speeds I expect.

Orbi is in router mode.

If I put the Google Onhub back in place with this disconnected, everything is back to normal speeds.  Using the same cable since this is being put directly where the Onhub was.

I wonder if I just don't have as good of an angle with this compared to the Google device.  That had 13 antennas in all directions and at multiple angles.  I may try relocating it, as right now it's on top of a floating wall between my kitchen and great room, so it's about 7 or 8 feet higher than the laptop is, and about five feet to my right when I sit down with a direct line of sight from the Orbi to my laptop.  I may try wiring it in at another spot in the great room to see if I get any different result when it's about the same level as the laptop, and directly "behind" the laptop where the antenna orientation may be better...

Thanks for any ideas!

J

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disconnecting the D-Link switch and go directly with two LAN devices to the back of the RBR. These test wired then try some wireless copy speed jobs to compare. There known issues with unmanaged switches with Green Ethernet features and Orbi. They don't work well together. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Reason for asking about Modems is some modems have a built in router. Checking for this is all. 

Message 4 of 11
JDTHIRD
Aspirant

No way to plug into this, real pain running more wires up from the basement through the floor and this floating wall to where the Orbi is.  But I can try a long cable directly from it to the NAS when I move it lower to test tonight when I get home.

Initial post stated that the wifi in that ISP modem is killed, has been since day one, so shouldn't be a factor.  I have no other wireless points in the house.

House is a ranch about 1500 square feet, but the satellite shouldn't be coming into play I'd hope with the laptop only being near the main Orbi unit, not the satellite?  Laptop never goes on that side of the house.  It's probably about 40 feet away from the main unit though, but I'm using a cat-6 backhaul, not wireless.

As I said initially, already had tried hanging settings for MIMO and beamforming, no impact, but I didn't do the others, so even before I move the unit, I'll try those changes first after work and see if there's a difference.

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions!  I'd love to be able to keep this - no issues with my Echos in that other side of the house with the satellite there, and my iPad has a great signal it never had before.  If I could just figure out this issue with speeds from the wireless client to the wired ones I'd be set.  I like not having this crappy killer wireless chipset losing the wireless like it did every few hours with the Google router there...

John

Message 5 of 11
JDTHIRD
Aspirant

Not finding where to disable IPV6.  Everything else done, will start some testing.  Then if this doesn't make a difference I'm going to relocate it, then I'll try plugging the NAS right into the unit's ethernet port to bypass the switch downstairs... 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings...

Message 7 of 11
JDTHIRD
Aspirant

All I see there is "internet connection type" which is disabled.  I had been looking for something else more like a PC, so overlooked this.  Was already disabled.  So far no change, so going to relocate it. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

ok.

Message 9 of 11
JDTHIRD
Aspirant

Hmmm.  No joy.  Relocating it didn't change anything, and I have the same thing copying when I have the switch the NAS was plugged into out of the picture by plugging the NAS right into the Orbi.

Tried my son's laptop, uses a different wireless chipset, and while that's still not as good as what this Dell does with the Google Onhub, it's still better than this does with the Orbi.  So I'm thinking I just have a compatibility issue of some sort here.  I've even bounced between various versions of the wireless driver on my laptop, both the native MS ones and the actual drivers from the Manufacturer, several different version numbers, and no change.  Guessing I'll just box it up and return it, and wait to see what comes down the pike next that I may want to try... 

Thanks for the help though!  I appreciate the effort.

John

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation