Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi speed test not working

Framedtrash
Guide

Orbi speed test not working

Hi,

Have just purchased and setup my orbi RB550, every thing is working apart from the speed test and the QOS.
When ever I try to run a speedtest it fails to run,
Have rebooted all devices have tried via the orbi app and the web GUI but nothing works.
Speed test works fine when using the standalone speed test app on my phone or speedtest.net website

Any ideas would be great as it's rather frustrating that such a basic feature isn't working and not some thing I would expect from a + $500 device.

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 29
randomousity
Luminary

Try factory reseting the Orbi. Also, check that your firmware is up-to-date.

Message 2 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

Hi,

Have just done a factory reset and the result is the same it's not working.

It's running the latest FW
Message 3 of 29
ekhalil
Master

What message or error do you get when it doesn’t work?
Message 4 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

Hi,

On the Android app it just says "Could not connect" and on the web GUI it says "The Speedtest fails to detect the bandwidth, please check your Internet connection or try again later."
My internet is working fine with lots of devices working so not sure what is wrong ??
Message 5 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

Also having lots of issues with streaming.
Streaming movies or Netflix and I'm constantly getting buffering but when I run speed tests i am getting 40+mb down.
If I disconnect from the orbi and connect to the isps modem which only get 9-12mb down in this location I have no issues with buffering .

I never thought I would have so much issues with a device that costs this much money.

Is there a roadmap for a new FW because if there isn't one soon I'll be returning this and getting some thing that works.
Message 6 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Framedtrash wrote:
Also having lots of issues with streaming.
Streaming movies or Netflix and I'm constantly getting buffering but when I run speed tests i am getting 40+mb down.
If I disconnect from the orbi and connect to the isps modem which only get 9-12mb down in this location I have no issues with buffering .

What is the model of your ISP modem/router? Can you please check if you have double NAT.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8    (traceroute to Google’s DNS server)

If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good. 🙂

Message 7 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

Hi,
It's a Huawei B525 which comes from the factory without the option for bridge mode.
I have the orbi in AP mode
Message 8 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Framedtrash wrote:
Hi,
It's a Huawei B525 which comes from the factory without the option for bridge mode.
I have the orbi in AP mode

Thanks for the information 🙂

1. What other wired devices do you have connected to Orbi?
  2. Any IPTV/multicast boxes attached to Orbi?
  3. Are you using wired or wireless backhaul?
  4. It will also be good to get your advanced wireless setting in the web GUI.
Message 9 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

1) no devices connected via ethernet ( I tried connecting my nvidea shield to the satellite orbi but it still had buffering issues)
2) no
3) wireless backhaul ( the backhaul status is Good)
Message 10 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

I have just turned off daisy chain and turned on BEAMFORMING and MU-MIMO and currently I am in bed watching a show on my fire stick that's connected to the router orbi and so far no buffering but it's my main tv downstairs that has been the problem
Message 11 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Framedtrash wrote:

I can't understand how the speed test will give you higher speeds when attached to Orbi than when attached to the ISP router? Are you making the tests from the same device? wired or wireless device?

Message 12 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

The ISP modem is on level 2 of my house and the tv I was watching is on level 1 with the orbi satellite.
When I connect to the ISP modem from level 1 it has very poor reception so the speed is greatly reduced
Message 13 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Framedtrash wrote:
The ISP modem is on level 2 of my house and the tv I was watching is on level 1 with the orbi satellite.
When I connect to the ISP modem from level 1 it has very poor reception so the speed is greatly reduced

What radio channels are you using on the ISP router and on Orbi?

Message 14 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

The radios on the ISP modem are usually disabled when the orbi is running to stop interference.
When I turned it on I checked for other wifi Chan's in use in the area using wifi analyser app on my phone and choose the least congested Chan.
The orbi is running as standard as I thought it auto selected the best channel to use ??
Message 15 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Framedtrash wrote:
The radios on the ISP modem are usually disabled when the orbi is running to stop interference.
When I turned it on I checked for other wifi Chan's in use in the area using wifi analyser app on my phone and choose the least congested Chan.
The orbi is running as standard as I thought it auto selected the best channel to use ??

1. Please select fixed channels in Orbi based on the results that you get from the wifi analysis. Please select the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels that are not or least used by your surroundings. Also disable the ISP router's radio or use different radio channels to avoid interference.
  2. For the speed test from Orbi app issue, which port is the ISP router connected to in Orbi? Are you using the WAN port (the yellow port) or one of the LAN ports?
Message 16 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

ISP router is connected via the WAN port
Message 17 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

My modem is a mobile broadband connection and it has a private IP address.
I wonder could this be the cause of the speed test issue???
Message 18 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Framedtrash wrote:
My modem is a mobile broadband connection and it has a private IP address.
I wonder could this be the cause of the speed test issue???

I doubt that the IP address of the router is an issue, but since you're using an LTE router the issue can be that you're getting very high latency or that the default MTU size (1500) is too big.

1. Please try a ping from command prompt from any computer, say ping 8.8.8.8 , what times do you get?
  2. Please also try the same ping (but with packet size) to see if you will get fragmented ping 8.8.8.8 -s 1500 , which means packet size 1500, if you get errors or fragmented packets then reduce the 1500 in small steps until you find a number that will give you results for the ping.
  3. If -for example- you find that a value of 1400 succeeds then please use this value to set the MTU size in Orbi as follows:

Namnlöst.png 

Message 19 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

I am using the Orbi in AP mode so i dont have the options for WAN setup

Capture.PNG

Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Hows this working. Still working good? Sounds like you probably found your fix. 

Some of these features are not enabled by default. You can enabled them to see weather they help out or not. Beamforming is good to have enabled all the time. MIMO is kind of dependent upon you having MIMO supporting devices. If you don't then you can leave this disabled. 

@Framedtrash wrote:
I have just turned off daisy chain and turned on BEAMFORMING and MU-MIMO and currently I am in bed watching a show on my fire stick that's connected to the router orbi and so far no buffering but it's my main tv downstairs that has been the problem

Message 21 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

Still unable to get the speed test working so unable to use the QOS stuff.
Tried to speak to live chat but they ain't much help and just told me to factory reset the modem.
To be honest haven't been very happy with the device and might end up returning it and getting some thing that just works like the Google wifi
Message 22 of 29
Framedtrash
Guide

I ran some tests and worked out the MTU size for the modem and then switch it to router mode instead of AP but still unable to do a simple speed test
Then thought it could be some thing to do with my ISP modem so I added the orbi to the DMZ but that failed to fix the problem.
I just want to be able to run the speed test function and check out the QOS feature.
Luckily Netgear Australia have a 30 day trial so if I am not happy with it I can return it.
Message 23 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your modem is causing the problem and how it's configured with the Orbi isn't a good match. Having a modem with a built in router seems to be having issues with external routers. The Orbi if connected to a stand alone modem does work. We have been able to get some systems working better on modems with routers, the use of DMZ, true DMZ does work with Orbi. Seen some modem router combos were some DMZs just don't work as they should. Any chance your ISP supports a modem only unit? If they do, then Orbi would work better. Something to ask your ISP about. 

Good Luck. 

@Framedtrash wrote:
I ran some tests and worked out the MTU size for the modem and then switch it to router mode instead of AP but still unable to do a simple speed test
Then thought it could be some thing to do with my ISP modem so I added the orbi to the DMZ but that failed to fix the problem.
I just want to be able to run the speed test function and check out the QOS feature.
Luckily Netgear Australia have a 30 day trial so if I am not happy with it I can return it.

Message 24 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Framedtrash wrote:

What is the model of your ISP router please? Does it support bridge or passthrough modes?

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7