Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi speed

Themooingman
Tutor

Orbi speed

Hi after reading many reviews got an orbi and 1 satellite today.  Using it with an asus ac68u modem router.  

Orbi was a breeze to set up.  Wifi coverage in the house is good and generally stronger than before.  We have a lot of walls and approx 2300 sq feet so it should work well.  

My my issue is now speed.  I am getting around 8 meg download and 2 meg up load on the orbi. 

On my asus as the modem router I got 6 meg and 2 meg on 2.4 ghz and 35 meg and 8 meg on 5 ghz bands.   

Imknow the orbi orbi combines the bands but this is slow.  The majority of my devices were using the 5 ghz band and only a couple the 2.4 ghz band.  I have tinkered with a few thinks but so far no speed increases.  

i am I the uk with BT infinity broadband.  

Any help appreciated 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 25
Mikey94025
Hero

Can you check your devices and see if they're connected via 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz?  If the latter, that's why the speed is slow so we need to get them to connect using 5Ghz.  If they're already connected 5Ghz but only getting 8Mbps/2Mbps then that's a different issue.

You may also be able to use http://orbilogin.net/DEV_show_device.htm and see what wifi connection type they're using.  You may have to go to http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm and enable the extra connection info.

Message 2 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Hi Mikey thanks the response how can I tell what ghz they are connecting at ?  My old router I would tell to connect to 2.4 or 5 ghz as you could have the 2 ssid being broadcast ?  On the orbi I just have one orbi being broadcast ?

Sorry if if I am missing something obvious.   Your further help appreciated 

thanks 

Message 3 of 25
st_shaw
Master

@Themooingman wrote:

how can I tell what ghz they are connecting at ?

Go to http://orbilogin.net/DEV_show_device.htm The column at the right side of the table should show what connection type is in use for each device: wired, 2.4G, 5G.

Message 4 of 25
Butch1326
Star

Food for thought.  I do this with my Netgear R8500 router.

I setup the Orbi in AP mode with only the 5ghz radio turned on.  The 2.4ghz wifi radio is turned off on the Orbi.  I use my main router with only the 2.4ghz on.  This allows me to maintain 2 separate wifi networks for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  

This sounds like it will work in your configuration with the Asus router you mentioned.

Message 5 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Mikey thanks but my right hand column just shows wireless.  Not mention of 5 ot 2.4 ghz ?  Confused

Message 6 of 25
Butch1326
Star

On the Orbi router uncheck go to Advanced Setup - Wireless Settings and uncheck both Enable SSID Broadcast and Enable Wireless Router Radio under the 2.4ghz section

Orbi Advanced Wireless Setup

Message 7 of 25
st_shaw
Master

@Themooingman wrote:

Mikey thanks but my right hand column just shows wireless.  Not mention of 5 ot 2.4 ghz ?  Confused

The following steps will enable display of the wireless bands. Use at your own risk. If you are uncomfotable with this, there is at least one other way to see the wirless bands that has been posted on this forum.  Search this forum.

Debug Page

Enable Advanced Device Display on Router
- Go to the debug page and enable telnet
- Telnet into the router
- Execute the following:
nvram set enable_adv_attached=1
nvram commit
- Exit telnet
- Go to the debug page and disable telnet (please don't forget this step!)

Message 8 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Butch thanks.   Done this now shows 2.4 disabled.  

Mikey thanks i used butchs method.   Now as only the 5 ghz is working. I'll connect some devices and run speed tests.  I presume I should expect the same speeds as my 5 ghz on the asus ?  

Message 9 of 25
st_shaw
Master

@Themooingman wrote:

Butch thanks.   Done this now shows 2.4 disabled.  

Mikey thanks i used butchs method.   Now as only the 5 ghz is working. I'll connect some devices and run speed tests.  I presume I should expect the same speeds as my 5 ghz on the asus ?  

Ok, but understand that we were talking about two different things.  I was showing you how to display which devices were connected to 2.4G and 5G bands on Orbi.  This is the question you asked.

Butch was telling you how to disable 2.4G on Orbi. Which is related to your issue, but is not the question you asked.

Understand that if you disable the 2.4G radio on Orbi you may have poor WiFi coverage.  5G doesn't travel very far and doesn't penetrate walls well.

Message 10 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Okay noted.  Sorry I'll reconnect the 2.4 and try your method

Message 11 of 25
st_shaw
Master

@Themooingman wrote:

Okay noted.  Sorry I'll reconnect the 2.4 and try your method

It's no problem.  You can proceed as you were and test speed.  Just be aware of potential limitations with no 2.4 GHz band.  You might need to turn 2.4 back on, or use your old router for 2.4G.

Message 12 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Thanks both bands on. Have repositioned the satellite and will test over the next couple of hours.   

Thanks 

Message 13 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Right tested on iPhone iPads and signal is ,uch more stable than not using the orbi with just my standard modem router but getting max 8 meg download.  

As as I plugged the orbi into the modem router would I need to adjuster the asus settings ?  Help appreciated 

Message 14 of 25
st_shaw
Master

Do you have a laptop, preferably a Mac, that you can test with?  Need to look at what band you are connected to (2.4 or 5), the TX rate, the RSSI and the noise.  

Also, you should run a WiFi scanner tool on your network (on a desktop or laptop) to see if you have other devices overlapping your channels.  Something like inssider.  This is what my WiFi spectrum looks like. Nothing else around except my CenturyLink modem and it's on a different channel. I can get 10 Mbps througput outside, from 500 feet away from the house.

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 2.06.04 PM.png

Message 15 of 25
st_shaw
Master

Also, make sure you turn off the WiFi radio in your old router.

Message 16 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Have a chrome book and wifi scanner app.  Showing -65dbm signal strength.  Not over lapping with any other local wifi or channels. 5g on channel 40.  2.4g set to channel 9.   All 5 g channels showing good on the application. 

Hopefully this adds adds some value.  Let me know 

Message 17 of 25
st_shaw
Master

@Themooingman wrote:

Have a chrome book and wifi scanner app.  Showing -65dbm signal strength.  Not over lapping with any other local wifi or channels. 5g on channel 40.  2.4g set to channel 9.   All 5 g channels showing good on the application. 

Hopefully this adds adds some value.  Let me know 

Use only channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4G.  Don't use in-between channels (like 9). Doing so prevents nearby devices from adjusting their channels to avoid overlap.

-65 dBm is a low RSSI. I assume you mean 5G.  You have four signal strengths: Router and Satellite, 2.4G and 5G for each makes 4 signals.  You must be in a different room than Orbi.  I get -55 to -60 on the main floor with the Orbi in the basement.  I get -45 to -50 in the same room.  Make sure your Orbi 5G radio is set to full power.

You said your speed was slow.  Go to the same room as the Orbi router and get within 1-2 meters of Orbi.  Turn your device's WiFi OFF then back ON to make sure your device connects to the Orbi router.  Measure speed.  You should get maximum.  If you do, then there is no issue with your router, etc.  In that case your main issue is likely transmission through your walls. If you have stone or plaster, these materials block WiFi.

Repeat with the Satellite.  Go to the same room and get close. Cycle WiFi OFF then ON.  Measure speeds.  If you get slow speeds at the satellite, then the issue is with your Orbi backhaul.  Move the satellite and router closer together.

You didn't report signal strength for Orbi router and satellite.  You want these placed far enough apart that their strength is different througout most of the house. If they are close to the same strength that can cause problems with devices switching from router to satellite.

Keep in mind that your speed is going to be limited by your devices when using phones or tablets.  These have weaker antennas and lower power radios than Orbi or laptops.

Message 18 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Just a quick update.  Tried everything on the speed to no avail.  Am reasonably tech savvy.  Resulted to calling British telecom on the speed issue.  They tested the line and called me back.  I have a network fault which is limiting my speed !   They are now working on it.   At least it's not my setup or the orbi system.  

Ill get back you you guys on the speed as soon as the fault is repaired.  Very much appreciate the help so far 

Message 19 of 25
st_shaw
Master

@Themooingman wrote:

Just a quick update.  Tried everything on the speed to no avail.  Am reasonably tech savvy.  Resulted to calling British telecom on the speed issue.  They tested the line and called me back.  I have a network fault which is limiting my speed !   They are now working on it.   At least it's not my setup or the orbi system.  

Ill get back you you guys on the speed as soon as the fault is repaired.  Very much appreciate the help so far 

Thanks for the update.  Good to know you determined the problem is not with your setup or Orbi.

I would recommend anyone who is testing their network speeds use a program like iperf, and test throughput between machines on their LAN.  This removes Internet variability and makes it much easier to isolate problems between Internet, wired LAN, and WiFi. Once it's established the LAN is working properly you can do an Internet speed test.

Message 20 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Technical broadband issues resolved today ( excellent work BT). Now getting 45 meg download from router and orbi is within 2.5% of this speed. Upload between 8 and 10 meg.   

Very pleased.   Orbi giving wider house coverage than my older router which was the point of buying it and doing away with extenders.    Will check stable and report back in a couple of days.  Thanks everyone the help.  

Message 21 of 25
st_shaw
Master

@Themooingman wrote:

Technical broadband issues resolved today ( excellent work BT). Now getting 45 meg download from router and orbi is within 2.5% of this speed. Upload between 8 and 10 meg.   

Very pleased.   Orbi giving wider house coverage than my older router which was the point of buying it and doing away with extenders.    Will check stable and report back in a couple of days.  Thanks everyone the help.  

Good to hear everything is working as it should.

Message 22 of 25
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

Is it possible to up the 2.4 GHz speed from 400 Mbps to 600 Mbps and 5 Ghz speed from 866 Mbps to 1.3 Gbps?

please advise

chris

Message 23 of 25
Themooingman
Tutor

Sorry Chris I am not aware you can. However others may know a shortcut or something 

Message 24 of 25
rhester72
Virtuoso

There's no shortcut - that's as fast as the radios go.

Rodney

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7