Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi speedtests showing higher than other apps

ThePablo
Aspirant

Orbi speedtests showing higher than other apps

So I’ve been noticing as of late that when running the included Speedtest within the Orbi app I consistently get 114mb, but am running the app by Ookla and get 8-10mb. Why such the difference? Aren’t they both testing the same thing, or is the Orbi one not checking actual internet. Confused. Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi speedtests showing higher than other apps

Not sure why the built-in test shows a higher number but I do know that using the built-in Speedtest has caused problems with Orbi for some folks. Several threads recommend NOT using the built-in Speedtest due to WiFi anomolies showing up after running that test. I'm still running firmware 2.0.74 and NEVER do a Speedtest from Orbi's built-in. I would not trust the built-in numbers. Cannot say if latest firmware solved this issue.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Not sure why the built-in test shows a higher number but I do know that using the built-in Speedtest has caused problems with Orbi for some folks. Several threads recommend NOT using the built-in Speedtest due to WiFi anomolies showing up after running that test. I'm still running firmware 2.0.74 and NEVER do a Speedtest from Orbi's built-in. I would not trust the built-in numbers. Cannot say if latest firmware solved this issue.

Message 2 of 9
ThePablo
Aspirant

Thanks for the tips and suggestions of not running in-app.  I confirmed I am using 2.0.74, so I just rebooted my network and will continue to keep an eye on the connection.  I will validate, and possibly restart my cable router as well.  

Message 3 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

If you connect directly to your modem (no router) what download speed do you get?

Message 4 of 9
ThePablo
Aspirant

With an ethernet connection?  I haven't tried that, but I definitely will.  I've usually had pretty decent numbers, but again, I've only ever done them using the Orbi speedtest, so maybe in fact I haven't.  I will begin going back to the Ookla app for my speedtests.  I should have known or at least been questioning things, when for the life of this network (July '17) I've only ever gotten a reading of 114mb from the Orbi speedtest app.

Message 5 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Just thought of one more thing: Be certain your measuring the same values. Sometimes the speed tests are reported in megabytes (MB) versus megabits (Mb) 

Message 6 of 9
ThePablo
Aspirant

Thanks, yes, definitely comparing apples-to-apples.  

Message 7 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Definitely do a direct connectvia ethernet to your modem to see your "true" download speed. Remember, the speed will change depending on the upstream load from your ISP. The advertised speed is a theoretical maximum and not a static value.

Message 8 of 9
ThePablo
Aspirant

So I tried the hardwire vs wifi, using speedtest.net, and very simliar speeds.  I will continue using this site or app on my iPhone and no longer use the in-app version of the speedtest as suggested.  Thanks for the tips.  Posted the details below, the earlier one in the day is wifi and latest via ethernet.Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 3.50.44 PM.png

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7