Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi stops working but can be reset

Chrisriche
Aspirant

Orbi stops working but can be reset

My Orbi keeps going down and I'd like to see if I can understand why before replacing/returning. To be more concrete:  1) my Macs show still connected to our local ORBI network (I have a main unit and a satellite configuration), 2) I can't access the internet or the Orbi home page, and 3) the top light on each Orbi are not glowing. Also, my gateway is fine as I have an older Netgear Nighthawk router as a back-up and when I plug that in I can connect to the internet no problem and without doing anything to the gateway (like restarting it, etc.).

For perspective, the Orbi router was working fine for about three weeks (I bought it in later January), but last night it went down and then went down again today. The yellow light in the back of the main Orbi unit is still glowing (I'm assuming that is a power light) and that circle light at the top of the units are not glowing (although when I power back up the satellite glows pink for a while, which I guess is some sort bootup/connecting status light). If I power down the Orbi and then power up and wait it seems to reset itself and I have no issue getting to the internet or the Orbi local home page. Multiple devices are not able to connect when this happens (no device can but the point is this isn't machine-specific) and changing from the main network to the guest network doesn't do anything, nor does changing back to the main network from the guest network.

Once the Orbi is powered back on and has reset itself I can log into the local home page and don't see any errors or issues called out. Everything on the router home overview page looks good and on the advanced tab every section has a green checkmark. I do have a guest network set up but I haven't done any setup work or changes for a few weeks so I'm assuming this isn't operator error. Also, I checked the logs in the Admin -> Logs and it basically just has a bunch of "access allowed" messages. Nothing to indicate an error.

Thoughts?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
Chrisriche
Aspirant

Re: Orbi stops working but can be reset

Okay, we've dropped the packet size, changed the 2.5 and 5.0 channel numbers, turned off daisy-chaining and turned on beamforming. Here's hoping...

Message 2 of 9
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

wrote:

My Orbi keeps going down and I'd like to see if I can understand why before replacing/returning. To be more concrete:  1) my Macs show still connected to our local ORBI network (I have a main unit and a satellite configuration), 2) I can't access the internet or the Orbi home page, and 3) the top light on each Orbi are not glowing. Also, my gateway is fine as I have an older Netgear Nighthawk router as a back-up and when I plug that in I can connect to the internet no problem and without doing anything to the gateway (like restarting it, etc.).

For perspective, the Orbi router was working fine for about three weeks (I bought it in later January), but last night it went down and then went down again today. The yellow light in the back of the main Orbi unit is still glowing (I'm assuming that is a power light) and that circle light at the top of the units are not glowing (although when I power back up the satellite glows pink for a while, which I guess is some sort bootup/connecting status light). If I power down the Orbi and then power up and wait it seems to reset itself and I have no issue getting to the internet or the Orbi local home page. Multiple devices are not able to connect when this happens (no device can but the point is this isn't machine-specific) and changing from the main network to the guest network doesn't do anything, nor does changing back to the main network from the guest network.

Once the Orbi is powered back on and has reset itself I can log into the local home page and don't see any errors or issues called out. Everything on the router home overview page looks good and on the advanced tab every section has a green checkmark. I do have a guest network set up but I haven't done any setup work or changes for a few weeks so I'm assuming this isn't operator error. Also, I checked the logs in the Admin -> Logs and it basically just has a bunch of "access allowed" messages. Nothing to indicate an error.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, it's almost certain that you're just running into what most us are. The Orbi's are completely unreliable due to significant backhaul issues. While it's possible you have some other issue going on, your description matches what most other users complain about. If that's the case, stop now. Don't waste any more of your time and don't donate your efforts as QA to Netgear. They won't be helping you.

See my post on what you can expect out of using your Orbi.

If you're outside of your 30 day return window I would recommend commenting on the refund thread.

Message 3 of 9
Chrisriche
Aspirant

That was both very helpful (that I'm not alone) and dissapointing (that they haven't addressed this issue) all at the same time.

Given this appears to be a known issue, does anyone from Netgear have anything to add before I return these? I love the concept (wifi mesh) and form factor of these. But if netgear doesn't have the basics right what's the point?

Chris

Message 4 of 9
Chrisriche
Aspirant

It appears this is in fact a firmware issue. I downgraded, per a private message from someone who I assume, but don't know, was from Netgear support, to an older firmware version and it seems fine for the limited time since that downgrade.

Message 5 of 9
NabsG
Aspirant

How did you reset.

I am having problems.

Firmware update today and then no access to internet.

Then tried a reset of  main router reset appeared to reset in that i had flashing light however still did not connect. (Behind virgin modem). 

Able to connect directed with macbook to virgin hence this email.

But cannot connect to the orbi in any way any suggetions. 

Btw since I tried to reset orbi agina thinking this was something now that does not work either. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?
When doing a reset, you can press in the reset button on the back of the router or satellite until the top led turns on amber, then let go. Or use the web page for the router/satellite to do an ERASE under Advanced tab/Advanced settings/Restore and Back up.

@NabsG wrote:

How did you reset.

I am having problems.

Firmware update today and then no access to internet.

Then tried a reset of  main router reset appeared to reset in that i had flashing light however still did not connect. (Behind virgin modem). 

Able to connect directed with macbook to virgin hence this email.

But cannot connect to the orbi in any way any suggetions. 

Btw since I tried to reset orbi agina thinking this was something now that does not work either. 

Message 7 of 9
NabsG
Aspirant

Got it working used manual firmware and then used MacBook to push it to the orbi.

Thanks
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation