Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi suddenly doesn't allow sites, even irs.gov

Support_Sucks
Aspirant

Orbi suddenly doesn't allow sites, even irs.gov

Bought Orbi system in December and it has worked well, but suddenly doesn't allow random sights that it didn't limit before.  One of the sites is even irs.gov to pay our quarterly taxes.  Called Netgear Customer Support who said they wouldn't help unless I paid the fee for their services.  Pretty sad an eight month old product randomly doesn't work and Netear refuses to support it.  Tried talking to a manager and "all were busy" and refused to allow me to talk to anyone.

What are my free options to get support for a product I spent over $300 on only eight months ago??

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 11
Support_Sucks
Aspirant

Re: Orbi suddenly doesn't allow sites, even irs.gov

Model is RBR50 and I had an Armor subsciption and turned it off.  Doing this allowed me onto certain sites that were blocked -- like irs.gov -- but still won't allow others like my online banking.  Very disappointed.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the sites had been working before and you haven't made any changed to orbi since installing it, it would NOT be Orbi that is blocking web sites.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you have Armor or Circle enabled? 

Message 3 of 11
Support_Sucks
Aspirant

I directly connected the ethernet cable from my laptop to the modem and had no issues loading the sites.  When I disconnect my phone from the wi-fi and load the sites I don't have any issue either.  But if I use wi-fi on either my laptop or phone I have issues.

Circle wasn't enabled.  Armour has been enabled since we installed the router back in December and we've never had any issues with it.  I turned that off and am still not able to get on those sites.

Updated my Orbi firmware and still not having any success with those sites.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch again. I would power OFF the ISP Modem for 30 seconds as well while you factory reset the RBR. Be sure not to enable Armor or Circle as well. 

Message 5 of 11
Support_Sucks
Aspirant

It's a Spectrum modem from Hitron Technologies, Inc.  Model E31N2V1

I'll have to try the factory reset.  Hopefully that works.  I appreciate you continuing to try to help me with this!

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

I would also reset or power OFF the ISP modem as well for 1 minuted then back ON while the RBR resets. 

Message 7 of 11
Support_Sucks
Aspirant

Af ter factory reseting the router, how do I set it up if I don't have the clear sleeve with the QR code?

Message 8 of 11
Support_Sucks
Aspirant

Factory reset didn't work Smiley Mad

What do I do next?  I can access the sites perfectly fine when I hook up the ethernet cord directly to my computer.

Message 9 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@Support_Sucks wrote:

I directly connected the ethernet cable from my laptop to the modem and had no issues loading the sites.  When I disconnect my phone from the wi-fi and load the sites I don't have any issue either.  But if I use wi-fi on either my laptop or phone I have issues.

Circle wasn't enabled.  Armour has been enabled since we installed the router back in December and we've never had any issues with it.  I turned that off and am still not able to get on those sites.

Updated my Orbi firmware and still not having any success with those sites.

Sorry to hear that factory reset didn't help you.  Please post a picture of the exact error message/screen from your laptop, ideally from two different browsers.  The exact error message you're getting might help us diagnose what is going on here because your experience not being able to access only specific websites is unusual given that Circle and Armor are both disabled.

Is your problem perhaps the same as https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Blocking-Websites-Solved/td-p/1677125 ?

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is currently loaded? 

Can try v32 if you haven't already updated:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-50-series-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-32-FW-Release/m-p/19...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7