Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi suddenly will not receive IP address from Xfinity Internet

ChuckieCheese
Luminary

Orbi suddenly will not receive IP address from Xfinity Internet

I have Xfinity Internet service with Motorola MB7621 modem connected to RBR50. It has been working just fine, but suddenly it stopped working.

After spending hours troubleshooting this with Xfinity, including reboot and reset the modem and the router, I found out that Orbi will not receive an IP address from Xfinity.

The modem is fine and it is connected to the Xfinity network (based on the modem web interface and log files). So for some reason, the Orbi stopped accepting the IP address. 

I am trying to see if the problem is with Orbi, Xfinity service or the modem. Since Xfinity said the signal is good on their end (they can even do a remote reset on the modem), I am trying to see if this an Orbi issue.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

Re: Orbi suddenly will not receive IP address from Xfinity Internet

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I did connect the laptop to the modem directly and it's on and off.

Example:

1. Power cycle modem, disconnect Orbi, modem up, connect laptop, got an IP

2. Power cycle modem, disconnect laptop, modem up, connect Orbi, no IP

3. Power cycle modem, disconnect Orbi, modem up, connect laptop, no IP

For each power cycle, I waited 5 minutes.

@Jetdrive wrote:
Did you plug your laptop into the modem and check to see if it gets an IP?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Jetdrive
Luminary

If you have a laptop, you can test whether it receives an IP address from the modem. Be sure to power off the modem first. Then power the modem back up and plug in the cat 5 cable from your laptop, and then power on the laptop. If the laptop doesn't get an IP, it's probably the modem. If the laptop receives an IP, then it maybe your Orbi. 

You didn't say whether you tried another cat 5 cable from the modem to the Orbi. If you haven't it would be worth trying.

Message 2 of 6
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

For testing purposes, I visited an Xfinity store and picked up an Xfinity Gateway. Connected that to the wall, connected Orbi and... same thing.

BTW, I did a reboot of the modem every time I switch device. E.g. reboot the modem when I unplugged the laptop and befor connecting Orbi.

I tried the nuclear option: I reset Orbi from scratch and tried again. It works! Orbi was able to obtain the IP address. I had to set everything up again one by one though.

Quick question: if I backup the Orbi configuration and did a reset, is it OK to restore that backup file? So in my case above, I don't have to spent time re-configuring Orbi again.

Message 3 of 6
Jetdrive
Luminary

Yes you can restore the saved config. That's the purpose of saving the config so you can restore it without manually having to set up everything again.

Message 4 of 6
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I did connect the laptop to the modem directly and it's on and off.

Example:

@Jetdrive wrote:

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

A reset of the RBR and power cycle of the modem should bring the system up and running and connected. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

Example:

@Jetdrive wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7