Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi, synology, media server

Markwilliam
Aspirant

Orbi, synology, media server

With a synology nas running media server connected wired to a dlink dir router my LG TVs could see the synology device over WiFi and play the contents.

However with the exact same setup but replacing the dlink with the Orbi I cannot see the synology device in the list of devices when trying to connect from the LG tv.

All other devices can see the nas however they don’t rely on the media server. The media server is using upnp.

The LG tv also says multicast must be supported.

Anyone come across the same issue?

I can put specs and screen shots if required.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Markwilliam
Aspirant

Well this is completely the opposite to what I expect and the dir-850L

I got it working. The lg tv sees the nas oddly by turning off upnp on the orbi.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? 

Is uPnP enabled on the Orbi router? 

What is the Model# of the DIR router? 

@Markwilliamwrote:
With a synology nas running media server connected wired to a dlink dir router my LG TVs could see the synology device over WiFi and play the contents.

However with the exact same setup but replacing the dlink with the Orbi I cannot see the synology device in the list of devices when trying to connect from the LG tv.

All other devices can see the nas however they don’t rely on the media server. The media server is using upnp.

Message 2 of 12
Markwilliam
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. I will look up the specs tonight singapore time so maybe a bit of a delay depending where you are. Also I have a wedding, not mine, to attend so there might be a longer delay.

Incidentally this works without the isp modem as it’s all local networking. Local nas with media going to local tv via local router. Which works fine with dlink. Also worked fine when dlink was connected to isp modem.

I will put up all the specs though as it helps.

I will also reset the Orbi as I saw a large number of port forwarding rules related to the IP address of the synology nas which is not in the dlink and maybe as I was trying to resolve another issue concerning seeing the nas on the internet via synology free Dbs service. But the issue was a gateway setting in the nas since dlink ran on 192.168.0.1and Orbi was 192.168.1.1

For testing of tv connectivity both Orbi and dlink are on 192.168.1.1 so consistent there.
Message 3 of 12
Markwilliam
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. I will look up the specs tonight singapore time so maybe a bit of a delay depending where you are. Also I have a wedding, not mine, to attend so there might be a longer delay.

Incidentally this works without the isp modem as it’s all local networking. Local nas with media going to local tv via local router. Which works fine with dlink. Also worked fine when dlink was connected to isp modem.

I will put up all the specs though as it helps.

I will also reset the Orbi as I saw a large number of port forwarding rules related to the IP address of the synology nas which is not in the dlink and maybe as I was trying to resolve another issue concerning seeing the nas on the internet via synology free Dbs service. But the issue was a gateway setting in the nas since dlink ran on 192.168.0.1and Orbi was 192.168.1.1

For testing of tv connectivity both Orbi and dlink are on 192.168.1.1 so consistent there.
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of the D-Link router?

You can use 192.168.0.1 on the orbi router, however changing to that may not do anything.

@Markwilliamwrote:

Message 5 of 12
Markwilliam
Aspirant

Model of dlink is dir-850l I think. I’ll confirm tonight.
Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? 

@Markwilliamwrote:

Message 7 of 12
Markwilliam
Aspirant

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe use to the Synology Media server already having uPnP service running? 

Glad you figured it out. 

@Markwilliamwrote:

Message 9 of 12
Markwilliam
Aspirant

Good point. I’ll check and report back.
Message 10 of 12
Markwilliam
Aspirant

I think you are right. It’s nice to tie up loose ends like why works with upnp off on the router. Cheers.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Multimedia/How_to_enjoy_multimedia_con...
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@Markwilliamwrote:
I think you are right. It’s nice to tie up loose ends like why works with upnp off on the router. Cheers.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Multimedia/How_to_enjoy_multimedia_con...

Glad you got it working.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7